• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats going on with shield nickels ?

149 posts in this topic

Hi all i have just wasted an hour of my life going through all the shield's on USA ebay , only 10% of the pictures/scans were good the rest well what could say but they were "pants" also less than 1% were auctions and of the auctions most of them were way over the top starting prices.

never mind that but the state of 99% of the coins listed and optimistic graded blew me away.. have i missed something are these "Hot" at the moment in the US ?

two good things about looking though was .. there was nothing i wanted (even the over priced ones) and it made me appreciate the quality of mine :)

Would you do me a favor and grade this one for me dooly?

I'm still a newbie at grading Shield Nickels (any other info you could throw at me would also be appreciated). (shrug)

1867Shieldnickelobv.jpg1867Shieldnickelrev.jpg

Make it two!

1883Shieldobv.jpg1883Shieldrev.jpg

You've probably seen both of them before but I just want to keep your mind sharp!

Ray

Ray, I grade the '67 VF-35. The '83 is tougher to grade from a photo, but I think I see wear on it so give it an AU-58. If there's no wear, then MS-62, maybe 63.

Dooly, there is nothing going on that I know of that makes shield nickels any warmer (I hesitate to say hotter) than usual. Just over-optimistic sellers. There is a shield nickel on eBay right now I'd like to own, but the seller is offering it for about double what I think it's worth (hundreds too much - I don't mind overpaying a bit sometimes, but this is ridiculous).

Ray, I grade the '67 VF-35. The '83 is tougher to grade from a photo, but I think I see wear on it so give it an AU-58. If there's no wear, then MS-62, maybe 63.

Dooly, there is nothing going on that I know of that makes shield nickels any warmer (I hesitate to say hotter) than usual. Just over-optimistic sellers. There is a shield nickel on eBay right now I'd like to own, but the seller is offering it for about double what I think it's worth (hundreds too much - I don't mind overpaying a bit sometimes, but this is ridiculous).

Hi mate .. i bow to the knowledge of the shield master skippy :cool:

bang on with them grades as usual

I think i know the one you have seen .. sometimes i put i high BIN price on an item i just wish they would put a best offer option on them as well !

well enough ranting how about some pictures of a couple i have acquired

one special and one not so can you all tell which is which ? just for fun

bottlesmarch317-horz.jpg

newcastle916-horz.jpg

coin 2

bottlesmarch319-horz.jpg

newcastle915-horz.jpg

That is Ebay Dooly. Super high prices and crappy pictures. It has become my venue of last resort and I buy few coins there anymore and mostly not from the Power Sellers. Fees are high, prices follow, no rules enforcement to speak of, and anything goes.

Some decent deals can be had but the time spent finding them is enormous.

Well the 68 is a DDO. I don't know which one though.

nice one you miss nothing :grin:

no sure my self i think it could be a F-108

That is Ebay Dooly. Super high prices and crappy pictures. It has become my venue of last resort and I buy few coins there anymore and mostly not from the Power Sellers. Fees are high, prices follow, no rules enforcement to speak of, and anything goes.

Some decent deals can be had but the time spent finding them is enormous.

you bet I spend to much time .. but as you say sometimes it pays off .. guess you will not be looking at my stuff as i am now a power seller :cry:

The '68 is a DDO and a reverse of '68 with one broken letter (FS-002.94 for the reverse). The reverse is not as common as the reverse of '67, but it is by no means rare or even scarce.

The DDO is, in fact, F-108 (aka S2-1001 and 7-O-IV). The die cracks, date position, and shape of the engraved leaf all provide a positive match.

Cheers skippy :applause:

tonight's pick-up .. lets see what it is like in the hand (sellers pictures)

KGrHqJpwE8WkJijfBPWft97c7Q60_12-horz.jpg

looks like it could be in the 50s to me

You love those 1868 DDO's don't you?

What's not to like? I've got 67 different '68 DDO dies in my files. You could spend a lifetime just trying to collect all of those!

Dooly, your photos of the '67 are much better than the seller's. I grade it EF-45, but I admit it made me think about AU-50. That's a details grade. I'm not sure if there is just dirt or if there is corrosion on the coin.

You love those 1868 DDO's don't you?

What's not to like? I've got 67 different '68 DDO dies in my files. You could spend a lifetime just trying to collect all of those!

I know for a single date it has a lot going on

Dooly, your photos of the '67 are much better than the seller's. I grade it EF-45, but I admit it made me think about AU-50. That's a details grade. I'm not sure if there is just dirt or if there is corrosion on the coin.

Cheers . yep i have AU53 with as much of the lines on the shield rubbed

The greeny colour is just muck i think and may improve with a acetone bath

Latest ebay pick up .. not the best looking but well cheep for date

KGrHqFhME9ELeOV1dBPgcgN4l60_12.jpgKGrHqZjoE9UiF6-kdBPgcfOQW60_12.jpg

lets see if it can be made to look any better when i get it

.. have i missed something are these "Hot" at the moment in the US ?

It's a dead series, and has been for years. Lack of auctions and the abundance of fixed price sales can be a tell tail sign of stagnation.

.. have i missed something are these "Hot" at the moment in the US ?

It's a dead series, and has been for years. Lack of auctions and the abundance of fixed price sales can be a tell tail sign of stagnation.

IMO, you're missing part of the point. Lack of supply means that no dealers can pump the series to their customers. No sense in creating demand for items when they can't fill the demand.

On reason Morgan dollars are popular is that huge amounts of them are available in great condition. Lots of stuff to sell, and everyone can get in on the action.

Besides, I like shield nickels cheap the way they are. :grin: One can own amazing rarities on a hamburger budget.

One can own amazing rarities on a hamburger budget.

lol yep not everyone can pay $1000 for every coin in there collection well said

Hi all picked these up tonight ..

felt sorry for this one .. and had to give the .99p for it .. i will give it a good home in my 6110 :grin:

KGrHqRHJCgE9JCe-i2BPwUhT8N60_12.jpg

second was this lot of coins with my Favourite type of shield purchase a mystery one :insane: and at £9 what the hell eh!

KGrHqJjIE697gMJIBPjUcY360_12.jpg

my 74 came today hear is my scan of it

newcastle954-tile.jpg

well happy with the full stars .. seller says "rust" spots ? sure nickels cannot rust .. think it is time for a bath

totally buzzing about winning this 68 tonight .. can you see why .. well i hope i am right .. mind not happy about the $17.85 postage from the USA .. that's just silly .. no wonder USA bidders like bidding on my stuff

68-tile.jpg