• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade... from 1795!

10 posts in this topic

I don't post in the guess the grade forum often, because I buy most of my coins already graded. But I saw these and couldn't pass them up...

The first one is middlesex 302, with quite a bit of red left. It's a common conder token, though, not common in this condition:

middlesex-302-1.jpg

middlesex-302-2.jpg

If you'd like a higher res version, it's here:

http://coins.alanlastufka.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/middlesex302-hi-res.jpg

The second one is middlesex 302a, which is a RR rare conder token. It's a little worn, and completely brown, but it's very rare, the difference is the edge lettering on this 302a:

middlesex-302a-1.jpg

middlesex-302a-2.jpg

Again, if you'd like a higher res version, it's here:

http://coins.alanlastufka.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/middlesex302a-hi-res.jpg

These are, of course, for my new Symphony Set.

I'm sending them in to NGC on Monday with a fast turnaround time. Guess the grade, I'm curious to hear what more experienced graders think. I'll post the grades when I get them!

I guess MS65RB for the first one, and I will guess VF or XF details on the 2nd one. Not sure it will come back in a problem-free holder with what looks like some environmental damage(?) on the "D" of "STRAND" and a couple other locations.

Best of luck on the submission!

-Brandon

I would go MS63-64 RB on the first ... a wondeful Conder, just has a little spotting that may keep it back. Just wish I had seen it first. lol

The second is harder ... I will probably go somewhere in the VF range. It also appears to have a bit of rim damage.

Thanks! I have a Canon 7D with a Canon Macro lens (EF-S 60mm). I use three LED lamps deflected down on to the coin. I shoot remotely so I don't have to touch or bump the camera to snap the pic. Then I just use the elliptical selection tool to cut the coin out.

Grades are in!

302: MS 64 RB

302a: AU 50 BN

Could have been better on the 302, but, could have been worse on the 302a, so I'm fine with breaking even. =)

On old copper like that, the difference between MS65RB and MS64RB is almost nil. Most Conders in the world are not slabbed, and they are priced based on general eye appeal, rarity, and a much less granular grading system than the US 70-point system anyway. Thus, the MS64RB is a GREAT piece, and I'm happy the 302a graded out in a regular holder. (thumbs u