• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921D Walking Liberty Half What Grade Is It?

77 posts in this topic

Okay this coin I purchased a little while back and I am going to send it and a few other better grade coins I have with it. I would appreciate any help I can get on a grade before it leaves so I don't stress so much before I get it back, Im sure everybody understands that.

1921DObverse.jpg

1921DReverse.jpg

Is that a 1921 – D ?? Sorry but I don’t have a good feeling about this coin . Where did you get it ?? The strike is to bold , the hand looks totally full. I am sure others will chime in on this.

Even if this was genuine it still has the look of a whizzed coin .

Oh its real guys I promise I wouldn't be asking for opinions on a coin that I had suspicions of being a counterfeit and yes it is a 1921-D Walking Liberty Half

For just one example of the many problem areas on this coin - look at Liberty's extended right hand. The detail is completely missing from her fingers and hand. That doesn't look like that on a genuine coin. Also, look at the cactus, eagle's feathers, and eagle's foot detail. I repeat, and maintain my assertion, that you have a Chinese counterfeit coin. These counterfeits are getting to be excellent, and would fool most collectors. I'm sorry if this means you got taken for a large sum of money, but the coin you have linked is not genuine.

For what a genuine coin should look like, please closely examine the linked coin: http://stacksbowers.com/auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?lotid=213315

Oh its real guys I promise I wouldn't be asking for opinions on a coin that I had suspicions of being a counterfeit and yes it is a 1921-D Walking Liberty Half

How do you know it is real ??? Where did you get it ??

You should have it looked at and authenticated before you send it in .

For just one example of the many problem areas on this coin - look at Liberty's extended right hand. The detail is completely missing from her fingers and hand. That doesn't look like that on a genuine coin. Also, look at the cactus, eagle's feathers, and eagle's foot detail. I repeat, and maintain my assertion, that you have a Chinese counterfeit coin. These counterfeits are getting to be excellent, and would fool most collectors. I'm sorry if this means you got taken for a large sum of money, but the coin you have linked is not genuine.

For what a genuine coin should look like, please closely examine the linked coin: http://stacksbowers.com/auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?lotid=213315

I did not notice that - I was looking at her left hand which just seems to be to full .

Like I said I am not worried about the coin being genuine, I didn't pay anything for the coin because it has been in my grandfathers collection since it was brand spanking new. Now whether it has been dipped or not is another story, I am just looking for opinions on a grade god willing it hasn't been dipped, than its just a details grade.

Okay this coin I purchased a little while back

I didn't pay anything for the coin because it has been in my grandfathers collection since it was brand spanking new.

hm

lol well you know everybody says it was there grandfathers coin...which now days is even less reliable than buying it. But no seriously I just acquired some of his collection and some of them need grading, I just recently sent a few to NGC and there are others going to PCGS.

I do have to say that the anomalies with liberties outstretched hand and the abnormally strong strike can be attributed to an over polished obverse die. Personally I don't see anything that would scream fake but then again I don't have the coin in hand.

I definitely don't like the surfaces though but it could be the image.

Well, let us know how it turns out when you submit it. I don't believe your story, and I don't trust your coin. Good luck.

+ 1 - this guy sounds like someone else who onced posted here.

If anyone wants to travel to Idaho and look at it you're more than welcome. The coin does look a lot better in person.

Ok , let me fuel up my lear jet , I will be there in about 5 hours.

Good luck Darrin! I hope for your sake it's authentic! Standing by!!!!

YES! I sincerely wish you luck too!! :wishluck: I wouldn't want to eat almost 5 Gs. Please let us know the outcome. :)

Looks too good to be true.

Wow you guys are good...look I just wanted to get off the subject of counterfeit, I got a lot more helpful info when that wasn't a question. It HAS however been authenticated...so like I said I am not worried about that aspect. I have a good report with the seller and the coin is guaranteed authentic so I'm not too worried about eating 5 grand. Like I said I am just praying the coin hasn't been dipped. Which I can get a partial refund most likely if it has, or just wait 15 years for it to tone lol. Thanks guys and sorry for the deception...just trying to get an honest opinion of grade :)

Hypothetically, If that IS authentic and is TRULY MS and as long as it was dipped PROPERLY and didn't have the surfaces damaged.......then you've got yourself one hell of a coin.

The coin DOES look cleaned to me FROM THOSE IMAGES and not just dipped. I don't think it will grade out, even if genuine.

Even a problem free AU 58 is about worth about what you paid for it. I could never tell from those images for sure, if the surfaces have been messed with or not but they APPEAR to be damaged.

That coin is VERY SHARP for that issue. A 64 will sell for at least 14K-17K and a 63 for 10-13K. That's why the skepticism but, as long as you can get your money back and have a good rapport with the seller, then there is nothing to worry about.

Dipping a coin does not mean it will wind up in a details holder.

Not to be an a-s but if you had a clue you would already know this.

Now a dipped coin that has been stripped of too much of its natural skin will wind up in a details holder.

Just for the sake of argument let’s say the coin is genuine.

The coin has the details of at least an MS 63 coin. Retail for a MS 63 1921 D is $14,000. So tell me why would someone want to let this one go for about 5 K?? If this was a problem free coin the seller would have had it certified so he could get proper value for it. Everything about this coin fails the smell test. You are confident that someone who sells coins on EBAY has certified it as genuine ? You need to bring it into a local coin dealer, not trust someone who just sells coins on EBAY . I looked at the EBAY sellers inventory – from what I saw most of his coins appear to be dipped , or cleaned . Something is wrong with the coin no way will it grade out.