• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Budget? What budget- oh- THAT budget posted by Yankeejose

15 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's only money?

As I look at other members registries, I amazed at some of the high quality collections out there, while others are more in line with my budget/collection. I see some collections of MS gold, MS Large cents- even one member has an almost complete set of MS seated liberty dimes- wow- as I struggle to work on a raw set in Good?

I admit some times it gets depressing knowing that I probably will never have the income to support the purchase of even one coin that has $2000+ plus price tag. Even if I could buy one, I could think of many other coins I could get for the cost of that one! The exception may be a certified 1909S VDB- I have always coveted that coin!

I get paid twice a month and allot a certain part of my check for coin purchases. Sure, I could jack up my credit card balances- then I would have less money for coins in the future because I would have to pay more per month on the credit card!

I am guessing some of my other fellow collectors must be in the same boat- maybe with a higher income and amount budgeted- but still they must be frustrated between what they want and what the can afford?

As of today my rank is 766 in registry points- but 91st in total coins with 635- does not say much about my points per coin- does it?

Sure I could save my money and only buy a higher value coin every 3-4 months- but my coin addiction would get the best of me, so that would never happen.

By the way- a shout out to collector Andold for after 32 years he has completed his certified Morgan set! He jokingly laments that when he entered that last coin he half-expected bells and whistles to go off. Well I gave you a round of applause-what a fantastic accomplishment! I could only dream of having a complete Morgan set in raw coins graded Good! Maybe some day, if I win the lottery.

May everyone find that coveted coin at a great price!

See more journals by Yankeejose

Yankeejose,

You have a good bunch of sets for--- "on a budget"!!! Seeing that you are working on most of them and even a Rank #1 sets in there. Keep up the faith and add when you can. Your sets are sure to improve in the future.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING

Thanks Six Mile Rick- I checked out your Keepers sets- WOW on the Franklins- also what you have on the Spice of Life type set! MS64 on a 3 cent piece and a Sheild nickel- and an Au58 Trade dollar!-sweet!

YU,

You have some excellent collections and lots to be proud of. there is always someone with more and better than you or I. In fact, you have a much better collection than Me. i am jealous.

:)

Malcolm

Sometimes you just have to decide whether the money should go to the mortgage or can I live under a bridge with my coins and be happy. Bridge living is starting to sound ok.

Coin collecting is a sickness that either you enjoy or you enjoy and are plagued by it.

Happy coin addiction-ing to everyone! :banana:

Yankeejose,

Some of those sweet coins I have are actually from trades. I can't afford those expensive ones I want in a purchase so I trade a bunch for 1. I just did a trade of 8 pf 69 & pf 70 ASEs 2001 to 2011 that I collected over 6 months or so for a 1855 O seated half dollar in MS62 for my Spice of Life set. I can't wait to get her.

Thanks for the compliment!!!! :)

Later----Rick

Thanks Malcolm- you gotta like the sets you have- especially the Franklins, the Mercs- and the Walkers! I dont see very many MS Walkers on Ebay that are up for auction- a lot of overpriced buy-it-nows- sure.

Yes I have the sickness- nothing like winning that coin on Ebay in the last 3 seconds- for a nice price-what a rush!

Yankeejose,

As stated above, you have a very nice collection on your hands. I can pretty much guarantee that most people here are in the same boat as you. We all save a little here, save a little there, and maybe make a trade or two to get the coins we want or can afford.

For me, it was a lot more satisfying saving/earning the money to get the 2001 Buffalo Commemortive Proof and MS coins in a 70 grade that I could never afford before. Now having them in hand, I enjoy them more and they seem a whole lot prettier because I had to work for them.

Jeffrey

I think it would be awesome to win the lottery and be able to buy whichever coin I wanted, but I don't think I'd enjoy them as much as I do now because I have to work for each and every one I buy. I too am addicted!

Yankeejose, I drive a heap of an old car with no payments to afford more coins, hang in there, you'll be amazed at what you have 10 years from now!

Gary

You could always do what I do... on a limited budget, I put aside a dollar or three to a special fund for that much coveted coin I want. I can still satisfy my desire to get coins each week, but over the long haul, I'll have the funds to get that mega-coin.

I love dimes, and want to get a high grade Seated Liberty dime... which one has not been decided yet, but it will depend on its eye appeal and whether it speaks to me or not. It will be the first in the set, and I'll take the remaining funds, and start the whole process again. I also take any extra money I get and put it in the kitty... best of both worlds until I win the lottery, although doing so would take some of the fun out of it, I think. Its the chase, not the kill that is exciting to me!

Everything adds up after time. I've only been collecting since 2009. With a strict budget of $600 a Month. And I find my self already rank #5 in 65-date jeffersons. But I do work alot of overtime. But it's worth it. It's better than blowing it on stuff that you wouldn't have any thing to show for it.

Good luck with you journey.

That is what I' keep trying to tell my wife- I am spending my money on something that I can at least get most of the value back. Not like clothes or shoes that will end up going in the garbage or to Goodwill. By the way, does anybody have some used gym shoes I can buy- size 10? I spent all my money on coins again!

That is what I' keep trying to tell my wife- I am spending my money on something that I can at least get most of the value back. Not like clothes or shoes that will end up going in the garbage or to Goodwill. By the way, does anybody have some used gym shoes I can buy- size 10? I spent all my money on coins again.

I like that idea of putting some extra money aside for that more expensive coin. I am lucky I also have a local coin dealer who lets me put coins on layaway. I give him 25 dollars every 2 weeks until it paid off. I usally end up paying closer to retail than I would on Ebay. But its worth it.