• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1902-s Double Eagle ---name the grade---

13 posts in this topic

Assuming it is not weakly struck - XF45. If it is just poorly struck up, it could go as high as AU55.

Don't you think that coin has too much luster for XF 45?

Assuming it is not weakly struck - XF45. If it is just poorly struck up, it could go as high as AU55.

It is a tough call on the luster from the picture. It appears to me to have enough for an AU-50, and the piece has smooth surfaces which is a big plus.

Certainly could be a 50. In-hand it may have good luster.

I'm w/ Mark on this one. I was thinking AU55 and maybe an AU58 if they're generous. Everybody posting it as an XF made me seriously rethink my instincts and not post until now. I'm not much of a gold person but my guesses are usually pretty close despite my unfamiliarity with the series.

Boy, you guys are pretty good. Would seem the concensus nailed it. AU55, with a lot more luster on the reverse than is evident in the photograph.

Photos must be hiding it a bit. AU 55 if the luster is there would be right.