• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you agree ms62????

26 posts in this topic

Unless there are some large nicks or something I'm not seeing, it seems to be about an MS64BN or so to me. It has nice toning, and the luster is nice through that toning. (shrug)

It looks to me that there is the tiniest bit of rub on Lincoln’s cheekbone, the hair behind his temple and a bit down from that, and his beard. The color is slightly lighter in those areas, and if you look more closely it appears to be slightly flattened in those areas. Coins that get graded MS-62 are sometimes pieces that would otherwise be MS-64 if it were not for a slight rub. It’s a market grading concept.

No luster breaks on any high points when rotated. Thought the strike for a p mint might keep it out of 65 but no 62. Also there are no hidden marks. Thanks for the input looking for more opinions just learning a little.

The only knock I can see is what appears to be discoloration on both obverse and reverse. The strike seems pretty sharp everywhere except the cheekbone and hair above the ear (but not bad at all). There are no distracting hits that should affect grade.

No luster breaks on any high points when rotated. Thought the strike for a p mint might keep it out of 65 but no 62. Also there are no hidden marks. Thanks for the input looking for more opinions just learning a little.

If it is truly MS then it should have graded 63 at least and maybe 64. Assuming MS then luster/eye appeal/strike were the deciding factors since there are minimal contact marks. Maybe it deserves a gold bean?

is there much cartwheel luster without the spotlight?

it looks like obverse lower left and reverse lower right could have a toning/haze that subdues everything

I don't see how it would 62 and not 64, unless there are some hairlines and chatter in that right facing field.

Image #2 makes me suspect this....MAYBE.

I see a little chemical residue in the left field, TOO.

Well I started this post for opinions I guess I should give mine. If you could rotate in hand with a glass there would be no doubt it is unc.

There is some central weakness on the obverse. I would still say it is average. You are not going to find an abundance full beards.

There are no hidden marks not seen in the pic. The rims are also nice.

The luster looks nice in the pic and is nicer in hand. Most of my brown coins with the blue highlights are satin. This coin does cartwheel. Also what is pointed out as discoloration is as seen in the pics. I have noticed this feature in some other toned wheats. I believe this is the areas which did not tone.

I bought and certified this coin early on. 1st off at the time I certified this coin for 2 reasons.

1. I had no idea how to grade.

2. I love toned coins and was not sure how to determine AT.(this coin shows more blue than the pic)

Bottom line MS60-62 is an area for heavily marked, lack luster, below avgerage strike, ect. Basically ugly coins.

A couple of comments were au/slider. And commented market adjustment. This is probably a new topic, but grading a coin to reflect what a grader would expect to pay is wrong. A grade is a grade weather a slider that looks 64 or a 65 that has a single unwanted feature.

All that just to say ms 64 easy

This is probably a new topic, but grading a coin to reflect what a grader would expect to pay is wrong.

It might be wrong, but it's what both of the leading grading services have done for years. I've paid MS-60 or 60+ money for "sliders" many times. These purchases were not Morgan dollars, but early U.S. coins. In my view a super slider early U.S. or rare date coin with nice eye appeal is worth more than a technical Mint State piece with aesthetic issues. Unfortunately the pricing catalogs don’t reflect that, and it’s hard to see how they could reflect that. Therefore there are high end AU coins that are worth as much or more than some low end Mint State coins.

I understand that some high end au coins are going to sell better. Just seems to me the coin should graded properly and the market place will handle the rest on its own.

I started a new topic about this in general

I think you are all missing the flatness on the cheek area. While it does not look circulated at all, surely the strike comes into play here.

But isn't the strike acceptable for a 64?

I think the strike is acceptable for a 64; the eye appeal/luster might not be though.

The more I look at it, the more I think MS63BN.

Let me add that I do believe the coin to be unc. I was more concerned with surface preservation and luster.

Judging from what you have told everyone about the luster and lack of marks, since you have the benefit of seeing it IN HAND, well then, YES, that coin should very likely be in a 64 slab.

I think you are all missing the flatness on the cheek area. While it does not look circulated at all, surely the strike comes into play here.

But isn't the strike acceptable for a 64?

Not always and going off the images I am going to guess that is what held is back.

An update 3 years in the making.

I cracked this one out and placed it in an album shortly after this post. I recently sold off my collection and a forum member picked this one up and submitted.

http://m.pcgs.com/cert/32293237?m=0

Congratulations to the submitter! As I said 3 years ago, it look MS64 BN to me.

I cracked this one out and placed it in an album shortly after this post. I recently sold off my collection and a forum member picked this one up and submitted.

I was so sad to see you were breaking up your amazing collection of super eye appealing Lincolns. :( I hope all is well with you and this was a "lost interest" sale and not one of necessity for health or other reasons.

Miss seeing your newps on the boards...

-Brandon

Congratulations to the submitter! As I said 3 years ago, it look MS64 BN to me.

Agreed---I was in the 64 camp, as well. Congrats!! :applause: (thumbs u