• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscured sets

9 posts in this topic

What is the purpose of Obscuring your sets? Seriously, why participate in an online registry where you put your set up against other collectors' sets, when all you are going to do is obscure it? Are you afraid someone is going to see your coins and steal them off the screen? Is there something you don't want your fellow collectors to notice? What's the joy or thrill in obscuring your set?

What is the purpose of Obscuring your sets? Seriously, why participate in an online registry where you put your set up against other collectors' sets, when all you are going to do is obscure it? Are you afraid someone is going to see your coins and steal them off the screen? Is there something you don't want your fellow collectors to notice? What's the joy or thrill in obscuring your set?

I've wondered this about the comic sets... seems counter-intuitive to me...

I dislike obscured sets as well and feel they should be non-competing in the registry.

The only reason, as a collector, that I can come up with is that they are using NGC's awesome Collection Manager software to log/manage their sets, but for whatever reason don't want to make the sets public.

I know you can use the collection manager software without creating competitive sets, but the sets are great for organizing what you have.

This is the age old discussion that will never establish a solid answer. Its a personal decision to make.

Oh there is a solid answer alright. Obscured sets STINK period.

If a collector does not want to show what he has in his collection and wants to use the NGC software as record keeping device, that's okay. BUT obscured sets should not be competitive sets in the registry. They should be disqualified from the completion. It's not fair to others to have to compete with an obscured set where others can't see see what that collector has.

Obscured sets contribute nothing the NGC registry.

Well, it does seem odd that years ago it used to be that the first tie breaker was the earliest set at that score. Then it changed to most photos and descriptions and then earliest.

I objected that getting there the firstest with the mostest should be enough, rather than requiring an auction catalog - and the reply was 'we are trying to encourage increased sharing of sets.'

But obscured sets can compete? Huh?

At the very least, obscured sets should be ranked but not allowed to win the category.

Maybe the way to be fair about this concept of "Obscured Sets" is to have a separate registry, which I realise creates more work for the staff of NGC. However by adopting this method, the privacy at all costs group could have a Number One Set (Obscured). This way, other collectors who show their sets, do writeups, and post picture of their coins would then be competing on a level playing field against their peers and so would the Obscured folks on their own parallel blank field.

This is the age old discussion that will never establish a solid answer. Its a personal decision to make.

Oh there is a solid answer alright. Obscured sets STINK period.

If a collector does not want to show what he has in his collection and wants to use the NGC software as record keeping device, that's okay. BUT obscured sets should not be competitive sets in the registry. They should be disqualified from the completion. It's not fair to others to have to compete with an obscured set where others can't see see what that collector has.

Obscured sets contribute nothing the NGC registry.

I agree, no doubt.

The sets are obscured to us, not the judges. Do I like to see somebody beating me with an obscured set, no.. but I have accept it.

Maybe the way to be fair about this concept of "Obscured Sets" is to have a separate registry, which I realise creates more work for the staff of NGC. However by adopting this method, the privacy at all costs group could have a Number One Set (Obscured). This way, other collectors who show their sets, do writeups, and post picture of their coins would then be competing on a level playing field against their peers and so would the Obscured folks on their own parallel blank field.

Good idea. It should be implemented.