• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Show your Gold Coins!
1 1

338 posts in this topic

True story...  I showed your coin to my wife just now and she smiled and, in French, said "tortue."  I told her it was a por-cu-pine, which I had never seen on a coin before.  And she said, tortue again.  I asked her, Does tortue mean porcupine in French?  Then, all of a sudden, I remembered tortue is turtle in French... "This is a porcupine!  Don't you see the sharp quills? It uses them for protection from being attacked and eaten!"  O-h-h-h.

Nice coin; man I love this Forum!    😀 

On 12/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

True story...  I showed your coin to my wife just now and she smiled and, in French, said "tortue."  I told her it was a por-cu-pine, which I had never seen on a coin before.  And she said, tortue again.  I asked her, Does tortue mean porcupine in French?  Then, all of a sudden, I remembered tortue is turtle in French... "This is a porcupine!  Don't you see the sharp quills? It uses them for protection from being attacked and eaten!"  O-h-h-h.

Nice coin; man I love this Forum!    😀 

It's a hedgehog. ;)

F0114611-Southern_white-breasted_hedgehog.jpg.5e517439cfdd1658480f878a2b905af6.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 6:02 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Lem E

Very brave of you to display this variant.  Can we talk?  Good... I can accept the obverse, but three things killed the reverse: the optics on Monticello: the beveled edges and the fontamania: an upper case O in Of, and a lower case f in five. Other than that I would have gladly met your quite reasonable $7.3 million asking price. 😉 

Apparently the big wigs at the Mint didn't like it either. As for the asking price, I would give you the QA discount of $6.8 million. I’ll even throw in free shipping. (thumbsu

On 1/15/2022 at 7:02 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Lem E

Very brave of you to display this variant.  Can we talk?  Good... I can accept the obverse, but three things killed the reverse: the optics on Monticello: the beveled edges and the fontamania: an upper case O in Of, and a lower case f in five. Other than that I would have gladly met your quite reasonable $7.3 million asking price. 😉 

Has anybody heard from QA ??  :o