• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Show your Gold Coins!
1 1

338 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this 1839-C quarter eagle in an auction. I have two more coins to go to complete the Classic Head Quater set. They are supposed to be "somewhat common," but I have not had much luck finding them. ???

1839-C $250 O.jpg

1839-C 250 R.jpg

I got this one off a lingering dealer late on the last day of a show.  I asked him how much for a generic $2.50 Indian.  He gave me a price.  I dug the money out of my pocket.  He gave me a box of slabbed coins and told me to find one.  I was slow and he grabbed the box from me.  There was only one in the box anyway.  I guess the green in my hand was talking to him.  He threw it down on the table and took my money.  I didn't really look at it and wondered why he was not happy about selling me the coin.  When I got to the car I found out why.  A good day at the coin show.

DSCN2039.JPG

DSCN2038.JPG

DSCN2036.JPG

This coin's story starts back in 2000 in a resort town in Mexico.  A patron of the resort needs cab fare.  He only has these gold coins.  He goes to the pro shop at the  resort's golf course and asks for face value of the 2 gold coins for cab fare.  Neither one of the two participants in this trade care one iota about the gold coins.  Forward to 2015.  The gold coins had been sitting in change jars with other U.S. and Mexican pocket change for years.  Of course the best course of action to cash in the coins was to visit a CoinStar machine.  Mexican coinage especially gold is not accepted by CoinStar.  He no longer had a need for Mexican coinage or the gold.  But, I did.

DSCN2040.JPG

DSCN2041.JPG

Definitely some nice coins here!  I don't have a Faustina the Younger aureus but if the day comes that I do, I'll be sure to share it.  I just wanted to compliment everyone on their nice gold coins though!

9 hours ago, EmiCoins said:

Wish I could post my Trajan Aureus, but am on a trip!

I wish I owned a Faustina the Younger aureus to post!  You lucky aureus owner, you.........I'd love to see it when you get back, Emi!

I will show it! My family has had it since the 1850s and have used it as a pocket piece, so it has seen better days, but still cool! Hope you get your Faustina aureus   soon.