• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879-o Morgan guess the grade (and VAM)

27 posts in this topic

Hello all. Please guess the grade (and VAM) on this 1879-o Morgan. I honestly feel it should be resubmitted for grade review. But if you guys had a buffalo nickel for every time you heard an owner of a coin say that....... :)

1879-omorgancombohoriz.jpg

1879-oobv.jpg

1879-orev.jpg

64+ (very, very close to MS65)

Edited to add: I'm basing my grade on the assumption that the coin is slabbed by NGC and my experience that NGC is tough with better dates. Upon glancing back at the photographs, I don't have a problem with the coin as a 65, and I would purchase it as such if I was looking for a piece for my set.

MS-65! Actually, it appears to be a little better than that as portrayed by those images.

Hey, I actually like those images (I've definitely taken worse) :)

I spent some time using your images to try to match it to the correct VAM, but my eyes just aren't good enough any more, even with adequate photos.

Chris

from reading what you said, i guess its ms 64 currently. and i have no clue why.

when i first looked at it quickly, i thought easily ms65. only things i noticed (and this was only on the 2nd set of pics) are the faint "X" looking scratch on right obv field. 1 dimple on cheek, and the thing on the neck . very few marks and a good strike. it really doesnt look far off ms66 i would even guess

the reverse i couldnt figure at the top, then i thought, die clash? i dont know anything about those but looks like it.

either way , very nice Morgan. have no idea about VAMs so can't even comment on that.

verdict: i agree with everyone else.

I spent some time using your images to try to match it to the correct VAM, but my eyes just aren't good enough any more, even with adequate photos.

Chris

How about for nude photos?

I think that's how his eyes got bad in the first place lol

Chris

How about for nude photos?

That's even worse. I have to examine the subject in person.

Chris

I've been looking at that Morgan for 15 minutes. It is AT LEAST a 65 ALL DAY LONG.

I would not feel guilty giving it a MS 66 grade!

Great luster, super clean cheeks and strong strike!

I'm goin out on a limb and sayin' MS 66!! Even if it is only a 65; it still would look at home in a 66 slab. There is only ONE minute mark on that obv. cheek.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.....

Dude, you have some NICE MORGANS!! :grin:

I am with WalkerFan. I see no reason she is not a 66. It does not get much cleaner than that. Strike look good from what can be seen. That is one great coin.

Chet

Geez what a freaking mess those dies were heheh

Even with the stinking lines and clashes all over the place

Looks like a shoe in MS66

Like it want it :)

Well, I think there are enough guesses from everyone. Thank you all for your opinions & kind words. Here is how NGC saw this beautiful New Orleans Morgan:

1879oobvslab.jpg

This is definitely one of the cleanest, well struck 'O' mint Morgans that I've come across. I've compared it side by side with other MS65 Morgans and MS66 Morgans. While it doesn't quite measure up to a 66 it is every bit a 65 in my opinion, possibly a 65+ on a good day.

I honestly do not know why NGC only gave this a 64+. How many times have you heard an owner of a coin cry foul & say their coin is undergraded? Plenty!! Add me and this beauty to the list :(

This is definitely one of the cleanest, well struck 'O' mint Morgans that I've come across. I've compared it side by side with other MS65 Morgans and MS66 Morgans. While it doesn't quite measure up to a 66 it is every bit a 65 in my opinion, possibly a 65+ on a good day.

I honestly do not know why NGC only gave this a 64+. How many times have you heard an owner of a coin cry foul & say their coin is undergraded? Plenty!! Add me and this beauty to the list :(

Maybe all the die cracks were a distraction - I own quite a few 66's and fields are good enough to be there - Edge being field #3 perhaps there is stuff there ?? Dunno ... Very nice coin though ^^

Try it at CAC for the magic bean!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this coin would get a green bean, but what about a golden bean? (or is that what you meant by "magic" bean)

:)

Well, I think there are enough guesses from everyone. Thank you all for your opinions & kind words. Here is how NGC saw this beautiful New Orleans Morgan:

1879oobvslab.jpg

I'm certainly not surprised by NGC's grade. As I indicated in my original post to this thread, I also have experience with better date Morgan Dollars in higher uncirculated grades, and I have a couple of coins which I feel are similarly undergraded by NGC. With this said, I don't think you will have any problem obtaining a price much, much higher than a generic 64 (or even a 64+) if you ever decide to sell it. It is a nice piece, and as I said, I wouldn't have a problem buying it with a substantial premium over other 64s (it is worth much closer to the 65 price). Congratulations on the nice pick up.