• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Nukes the World Coin Registry

38 posts in this topic

Why kill this thread? I just found it, because I attempted to start three NGC World Registry Sets. When I looked to see I could be top set in one, and second in the other two, I decided to start the sets. There was no way for me to enter my PCGS coins into the sets, so I added them to inventory, and contacted the Registry staff. Even had pictures for every coin in all three sets.

After all that, I found out the first information NGC sent me, saying the Registry staff could enter my PCGS cert numbers for me was incorrect. It only took me seconds to delete all three sets, and all the PCGS coins from my inventory.

It would have been nice to see some of the PCGS/NGC combined sets before they were eliminated. Bet there were some great World sets.

Most of my 8 Reales Madness Collection used to reside in NGC plastic. PCGS received about a grand worth of fee revenue from me over the last 6 months. Really liked their idea of a cross-over special that capitalized on NGC's announcement and discontent it generated with some users.

Curious... what did you gain by spending "a grand" to grade coins that were already graded? Seems like a waste of money to me unless there's some reason the coins needed to be in different plastic. So... why?

Most of my 8 Reales Madness Collection used to reside in NGC plastic. PCGS received about a grand worth of fee revenue from me over the last 6 months. Really liked their idea of a cross-over special that capitalized on NGC's announcement and discontent it generated with some users.

Curious... what did you gain by spending "a grand" to grade coins that were already graded? Seems like a waste of money to me unless there's some reason the coins needed to be in different plastic. So... why?

The reason was twofold:

1. I like participating in the registry, especially having worked with people in both NGC and PCGS to create the Mexico 8 Reales competitive sets in the past, so being able to participate was important to me. When NGC came out with an announcement that they will ban PCGS coin (which was about half of my collection at the time), in order for me to preserve my sets I had to move all of my coins into the same holder.

2. Because I needed to make that choice, the way NGC approached the announcement (made me feel like they didn't care about the collector's point of view), and the premium being consistently paid for portrait series 8 Reales in PCGS plastic over NGC plastic - i went with PCGS.

Hope that explains my motives. I know of quite a few other folks that did the same thing for pretty much the same reasons. What I lost in submission fees I have gained in per-coin value of my collection that was crossed to PCGS.

The reason was twofold:

1. I like participating in the registry, especially having worked with people in both NGC and PCGS to create the Mexico 8 Reales competitive sets in the past, so being able to participate was important to me. When NGC came out with an announcement that they will ban PCGS coin (which was about half of my collection at the time), in order for me to preserve my sets I had to move all of my coins into the same holder.

2. Because I needed to make that choice, the way NGC approached the announcement (made me feel like they didn't care about the collector's point of view), and the premium being consistently paid for portrait series 8 Reales in PCGS plastic over NGC plastic - i went with PCGS.

Hope that explains my motives. I know of quite a few other folks that did the same thing for pretty much the same reasons. What I lost in submission fees I have gained in per-coin value of my collection that was crossed to PCGS.

Thanks for your reply.

Your set (at least the one in your signature line) is a Signature Set for which PCGS coins are still eligible. Did you also have a competitive set of these coins?

I also was unaware that PCGS plastic carried a premium for these coins as this is not the norm for certified world coins.