• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG dissappointment for me with NGC registry awards

74 posts in this topic

Do you collect coins or Registry certificates? I collect coins.

I don't whine when someone comes up with a higher point total, even if they wait until two minutes before the Registry deadline to enter their coins. That's the way some people want to play the game (you know who you are).

I agree with Malcolm and Seth on the deregistration issue. Few things are more frustrating than trying to add a new coin to a collection and finding a previous owner still has it in his sets, then refuses to release it without an argument. That has happened to me three times. If you no longer own it, remove it from your Registry sets.

Winning is not 'Luck of the Draw'.... it is supposed to be an objective judgement based on a set of criteria... and I stand by my 'opinion' that the sets are not deserving... the pictures of the coins are poorly done.. crooked, off-center, no presentation value at all... THAT is a fact the anyone with eyes can see. I'd be the first to congratulate a deserving winner, but this is a travesty, which is why there are so many voices raised in objection... and I say where there is smoke, there is probably fire...

And I respect your opinion! I have to say that it is indeed a "luck of the draw". If you meet all the requirements for the award.. and others do as well.. its up to the judge to decide who wins.. yes.. "luck of the draw".. either the judge likes it or he/she doesnt. I see that as the "luck of the draw". I didnt mean it as the "dart board effect" or the "pick out of the hat".

Lets all play a game here.. Its one of those games we learned in grammar school.. its called FILL IN THE BLANK.

"Collecting coins is a (fill in the blank)".

A. Hobby

B. Contest

If you answer B, then have the means to do so. Dont sit and complain about rich people buying the nice coins. I collect Morgans.. Take a look at the Number 1 guy in Morgans.. MLMM I think.. I bet he is rich.. Does that stop me from entering my set? NO. Hey.. the Yankees have the money to buy all the good players and my Pirates do not.. do I rant and rave about that? NO.. its pointless.

I see alot of good points in this thread.. try sending your thoughts and ideas to the people who can fix something.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen. . I’ve read some of the cuts and stabs being thrown over this topic, “Knock it off!” We’re all friends here! Figure out where things went wrong in your sets, and prep them for next year.

A few years ago, I decided to put together a theme set that appealed to me (having nothing to do with the Registry), discovering that I had inadvertently already acquired most of the coins through the years. I set the coins and some associated pictures and materials in a display, and set it up at my daughter’s school for a presentation. I thought that the coins along with my descriptions and related articles would spark some interest in the topic. Turns out, it got plenty of attention from the parents and teachers, and to my surprise it also got write-ups from a couple of the local papers.

A couple of years ago, much of this stuff on NGC was new to me, Registry Points, Journals? -you know. Then one day I noticed a couple of Thematic sets similar to mine, except that they looked kinda’ limp!. I decided to try my luck, and put up my coins, the pics, and (what I thought were) informative descriptions for each coin into a Custom Set (it’s still in my sets). Come the end of the year, it was Awards time and I’m hoping for the best, with my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed, and then . . . NUTTIN’!

- - ARE THEY KIDDING, NOTHING? @%&@!! My set should have gotten something, at least "honorable mention"! Was I P-O’d! Took the set down from the Boards, punched a hole in a door, and kicked the neighbor’s lawn gnome! I acted like a spoiled kid.

After a while I let reason back into the equation, and realized that maybe I was over-reacting to something so insignificant in my life. In truth my display really was cool, but It couldn’t be appreciated on Registry, with only coin pics and registration numbers, and a few written words. Well, someone was able to write better than me (better than I?), and beat me out on my “Honorable Mention”.

Any way gotta’ go, it’s an hours drive to the FUN Show, I want to get there in time for the buffet, and then to Universal. If you want a look at my theme set, I put some of the coins back up- click the Custom Set link below.

Oh yeah, I just found out that I got one of the 3 Journal Awards, I finally got "mentioned" without paying anyone off- Cool, thanks NGC!

I've given this matter some thought, and from year to year I've noticed certain traits to the sets that are awarded. Naturally, every year there are those dream sets that make most people, including myself, drool over. Even the journal awards seem to follow certain trends. This causes me to conclude, and this is only my opinion, that the judges get together before the contest to determine the criteria by which they will judge the thousands of sets they will have to weed through and eliminate before settling on the winners. I also believe that the criteria by which they judge the sets changes from year to year.

A few years ago I thought I had this criteria nailed down. I've won the journal award and the best presented award figuring if I continue in the same vein with the rest of my sets, I ought to get an award every year. Not so, I have a world set patterned after my award wining set passed over for two years now. There are even a few top pops in this set that might qualify it for the drool category, but no such luck. I even redid all my photos, but even this did not matter.

Thinking on it a little more, it is good to change the criteria from year to year because of the diversity of sets that are brought to the attention of the entire community through the annual awards is good for the hobby and broadens everyone's perspective on the hobby.

From a journaling perspective, I think my writing has improved in the last two years, so why no award? Perhaps it is for the same reason that good sets are also passed over. Maybe if I keep posting and maintaining my world registry set the judging criteria will swing back my way. Who knows, but I can always hope. Only one team wins the Superbowl and the rest place their hopes on next year. Last year my team won the Superbowl, this year maybe my team goes home. Of course I hope for a repeat every year, but realistically that will not happen.

Now its back to to focusing on my collection by acquiring new coins and presenting them in a manner I can be proud of.

Gary hm

Dear Fellow Coin Collectors; I have been reading the various comments both pro and con regarding this year's Registry Awards. I am new to journaling here and also to the chat and message boards so, excuse me if I just jump right in with some of my facts and opinions. My #1 set of Proof Buffalo Nickels won a 'Best Classic Set' award this year and I am both honored and proud for the recognition of my achievement. I am a 100% service-connected, paralyzed veteran. I live within modest means and sacrificed dearly to build my set to where it is today. I am proud enough of my coins to present them in professional photographs. I am a history buff and coin collecting to me is a disability-friendly endeavor and I enjoyed very much writing about my coins with the sense of history which they represent. I own all the coins in my set and as I upgraded in the building of this set I promptly removed old ones from the registry. The thrill of winning this award, I must admit, has been somewhat dampened by some of the comments against the winners. I don't know anyone at NGC and I am unaware of any criteria except my personal one of trying to build, within my means, the best set I can and to present them with a certain pride of ownership. Some of you who decry this year's winners are lucky that you can travel to shows. I would gladly give up my award for the opportunity to travel pain-free to an event where I could spend all day looking at our coinage heritage through a glass. Be grateful that you have what you have. It all comes out the same in the end. For those who would like to look at my collection - I invite you. I am proud of them. I worked hard, too. Respectfully, Leonard "Dusty" Raines.

For those who would like to look at my collection - I invite you. I am proud of them. I worked hard, too. Respectfully, Leonard "Dusty" Raines.
I have and your set is amazing, it is certainly a collection that you can be proud of. Good job and Congratulations. Thank you for your service to our country.

Gary (thumbs u

I live in upstate NY and have never once heard of a coin show nearby. I have to rely on the local coin shop which is still 40 minutes from here, and on online sites. I don't know what its like to look at a nice coin in hand before making a decision to buy. I have to wait until it comes in the mail. Then hope the seller doesn't screw me on a refund if needed. I would pay to see one big show come to my area!

Sorry I know that's off topic

I live in upstate NY and have never once heard of a coin show nearby. I have to rely on the local coin shop which is still 40 minutes from here, and on online sites. I don't know what its like to look at a nice coin in hand before making a decision to buy. I have to wait until it comes in the mail. Then hope the seller doesn't screw me on a refund if needed. I would pay to see one big show come to my area!

Sorry I know that's off topic

Im in the same boat. When I lived at Fort Campbell, KY.. I had 4 coins shops (2 good, 2 not so good) and I had the Nashville Super Flea Market once a month. Now that I live in Sierra Vista, AZ.. I have nada! All that is down here are pawn shops with a handful of coins (I have more than all of them combined). Im stuck with doing all my business over the internet (Ebay, MCM, Paradise Mint.. just to name a few). I know what you are talking about when it comes to not seeing the coin in hand. I can let you know all the folks I deal with.. I have never been depressed when coins arrive at my house.. they all have been upstanding folks. Let me know.

Any time a competitive aspect is added to anything, it adds a whole new twist due to our competitive nature.

I personally am not in favor of obscured sets. In my mind, the registry is for us the collectors to share our passion and desires with fellow collectors. I have made many friends since joining the registry and know Paul personally. I have even purchased many of my Roosevelt dimes from him and he has gotten some from me as well. And you will be very hard pressed to find anyone more competitive than Paul!

I would love to be able to get the number 1 set in the Silver Roosevelts, but I know that will never happen. But, I still love looking at and admiring all fellow colectors sets. With that thought in mind, I think consideration should be given to changing how registry awards are chosen. In my opinion, the awards should have specific criteria on how they are judged and then VOTED on by registry members.

My reasoning for this is based on the fact that the whole registry forum is for us the collectors.

Lonnie

I think I'm with Moondoggy on this one.

While I think that points and overall presentation should rule the day, and all things being equal, that means that pictures and descriptions help tip the scale in ones favor, that an obscured set shouldn't be a contender.

If one wants to compete, it seems to me that one must show ones wares. If you want to enter your pie in a contest at the fair, don't you have to bake it and show it? Or your prize pig? How about at the dog show? There is a lot of public viewing? Or the Miss America pageant?

What's different about judging coins? The only real difference in the case of the NGC Registry Awards is that members aren't voting -- NGC is. But, in the case of obscured sets, other members have no idea why NGC did what it did except to say that we can see the score and stats in the list of sets.

What fun is that? I much more enjoy seeing photos and descriptions of coins, ESPECIALLY of those that I am looking to acquire, and those elusive varieties that REALLY MAKE a set!