• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG dissappointment for me with NGC registry awards

74 posts in this topic

Worked hard and Overlooked

I have be working hard on my coins for the last few years. I was #1 in 2007 for my Roosevelt dimes. Ngc changed the point score in 2008 and I couldnt financially recover in 2008.I kept pace with some of the best. In 2010 I was in 3rd place and Arthur Gowman and Nick Casio bought out the #1 and #2 spot and combined the the set. I Was put in #2 and I always kept up with the desctiptions and tried to make the best pictures. Countless hours of scanning to get the best pictures.I have tried to leave the best descriptions of all my pictures. The #1 guy kept his set obscured. HE had no pictures or descriptions on none of his coins. At the Deadline I had all 143 of my roosevelt dimes Beautifully scanned and described. The plaque was given to him for just his coins. I want other members thoughts on this subject. I thought you had to have all pics and descriptions to get the plaque. I dont think this was fair.

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

I have always thought they should have an award for the best NGC only set. Unfortunately they do not. Someone with a boat load of cash can always swoop in and acquire the best of the best.

It is unfortunate that things happened the way they did for you Paul but there isn't much you can do about it. I personally think your set is very nice and adding nice pics and descriptions is awesome and definitely sets your set apart from the rest, BUT if someone has coins that top yours on points and rarity then no matter if they have pics or not they have more points so they get the #1 spot.

In 2011 I got #1 spot on a couple sets that I only got #1 because I had pics and the older #1 set lost his award due to my pics, HE probably thinks bad of me but as soon as he saw he lost #1 he could have added pics and regained his award but still would be below me on the list.

So in summary, Don't let it bug you that those rich fellas can get the awesome coins, I still think your set rivals theirs for presentation alone. I personally have never made what I would consider even good money in my life yet I have a collection that would make some think I am rich or well off. Neither are true. I just am lucky and persistent.

Collect what you love and enjoy yourself. True words of wisdom. Don't get caught up on Having to have the best set. Your time will come. You know your set is in some ways better than theirs, its only NGC that doesn't agree.

It sounds to me like he beat you fair and square. Would it be nice if he imaged and didn't obscure he set? Absolutely. Unfair? Absolutely not.

Coinman, no offense, but you are being a little insensitive. One, the OP looked like he worked very hard on the set. Two, the OP was having some financial setbacks but some rich guy bought up the top set.

I think that you should have been given the award.

I am somewhat turned off from an obscured set with no pictures or descriptions. There is more to a set than nice coins.

Hi Paul. I understand your disappointment concerning the registry awards going to an obscured set. I am a big fan of pictures and descriptions and as a collector if I have the coins in a competitive set I would want everyone to be able to see them and read about them. That being said, I can also understand an owners need for security. With off site secure storage, detailed ownership records and of course insurance the risk can be greatly reduced. I know the amount of work involved with trying to compete with obscured sets since you have no idea what you are competing against and where you should be directing your collecting goals. Also, just the hard work that goes into a set that you are passionate about should count for something. The fact that you have an awesome set, which you do, should give you great satisfaction. Unfortunate, yes, Unfair, no.

It sounds to me like he beat you fair and square. Would it be nice if he imaged and didn't obscure he set? Absolutely. Unfair? Absolutely not.

Absolutely Correct.---What makes a person with LESS points think pictures will get them a higher points value??

They are number 1 because they own the BEST. Plain and simple.

I for one am not a fan of obscure sets period. (I just dont' get it and please don't tell me about the reason you think they do it because I won't buy it and I will have a counter reason) I think giving an award to an obscure set is playing with two standards Since NGC has a place for photo's and descriptions for each coin, it is like a car show and someone expends all their blood, sweat and tears to build something of pride looses to some lame entry who keeps their car covered during judging but allows the judges to "peek" under the cover. Hey you want to play then pony-up to the table and lay your cards down for all to see ...... if you don't want to show your coins then fine keep them hidden but you will not be eligible for any recognition whatsoever. Total injustice that any obscure set wins anything.

In fact it is almost laughable.

Oh by the way I didn't win either, damn it !!!!

moondoggy

Anyone ever notice how the obscured sets are the same people you NEVER hear from on the posts? I tried to send a message to one guy in the #1 spot and I couldn't even send him a message no matter what my message was going to be.

I like the car cover idea, it does seem that way. I do have the best but you shall never see it but yet I get the award.

Another thing that bugs me is that there are plenty of people here who DO NOT own the coins they have registered to them. I bought a few coins from one guy and when I inquired about a couple other coins in his set he stated, "I sold that coin a couple years ago". Then WHY is it still in your set you BUM. ITS because the new owner doesn't belong to our little group and he is safe from it being taken away from his set so he just leaves it in there and enjoys the benefit. AT least on here 2 people cannot have the exact same coin, like PCGS seems to allow. If you don't believe that look up the Proof Washington sets and see there are 2 seperate owners that own the POP 1 1974 PR70DCAM quarter. Just a little too suspicious for me.

I also enjoy complaining as do a lot of people. I'm not sure there is a way to do things anywhere where everyone will be satisfied. You could give some people a million dollars they would complain that it is hard to break those pesky 100 dollar bills.

I think the whole thing is a big 'circle jerk'... I'm looking at the 'Best Presented' sets and scratching my head... after seeing which sets got awards, there is no way its not given to friends and buddies. Sorry, but there is no way those sets are better presented, not only mine, but others I saw.

The awards are a big sham, IMHO

Anyone ever notice how the obscured sets are the same people you NEVER hear from on the posts? I tried to send a message to one guy in the #1 spot and I couldn't even send him a message no matter what my message was going to be.

I have talked with Nick before and he posts on the forum so your statement is incorrect!!

I think the whole thing is a big 'circle jerk'... I'm looking at the 'Best Presented' sets and scratching my head... after seeing which sets got awards, there is no way its not given to friends and buddies. Sorry, but there is no way those sets are better presented, not only mine, but others I saw.

The awards are a big sham, IMHO

:roflmao:

I think you are a sore loser!! Collect coins, not the holder or a award.

His set isnt obscured know!! Link

It's still obscured. This is just the link to it for the awards. Any changes to the set will not be seen by others.

How did you get to see the obscured set in the first place? That would solve a lot of people's problems, just seeing what they have would end most people's problems.
You can't!

If you look, you can have 100% pictures and descriptions and still obscure your set. I am not a big fan of it like I said but under the current rules it is allowed. How would any of you feel if your set was worth a 100,000 points and you had 75% pictures and descriptions and the next guy had 70,000 points with 100% pictures and descriptions and you lost because he had more pictures and descriptions. Would that be fair? IMHO, no, it would be an injustice.

So some people can see these #1 obscured sets and some people cannot then? Or is there a way during award times to see what their set was when it received the award?

I followed the link Ness provided and it works yet by any other way to view that guys set it is obscured.

I think you are a sore loser!! Collect coins, not the holder or a award.

His set isnt obscured know!! Link

It's still obscured. This is just the link to it for the awards. Any changes to the set will not be seen by others.

I was referring to the set he won the award with!! If he wants his set obscured, that is his choice!!

So some people can see these #1 obscured sets and some people cannot then? Or is there a way during award times to see what their set was when it received the award?

If you click this Link you can view everyones set that won an award. Even if the set was obscured it will show you the coins that won the award.

Back in 2009 I had the #1 1947 mint set with my pics and descriptions and NGC gave the trophy to the #2 guy because he had more coins and a sad story behind it. I do not buy low grade coins and I sacrifice everything to make sure I get a rare coin and He got the trophy. I work a lot to buy the best coins and they are not cheap. I dont understand NGC logic

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/public_sets.aspx?CategoryID=23&SetTypeID=357&sets=all

And yes, I do own all the coins in my set. I am a little fish in the pond compared to a lot of the collectors on here. I am not rich by any means. My only income is that from being a 100% disable veteran so financially I am far from rich. There are people on here who own 1 coin worth more than all my coins combined. And regardless of how one acquired the coin if you own it and it is the best. I use to also get irritated when I bought a coin and tried to register it only to be told it was owned by someone else. It does happen for a lot of reasons. If some one passes away and the collection is sold or put up for auction the family might not know a thing about removing a coin from a registry set. If you legitimately own the coin NGC has measures in place to resolve this. I also am not trying to take anything away from the collector who posted this original journal. You have some AWESOME sets. Be proud of what you have accomplished

I own every coin in my sets all 435 of them, I was talking about certain collectors who sold a coin years ago and still CHOOSE to leave the coin in their sets. Not someone who just sold the coin and are waiting for feedback. It doesn't at all bother me when I get a coin and it says its owned by someone else. I was talking about blatantly having coins in your collection that you do not own or no longer own.

Back in 2009 I had the #1 1947 mint set with my pics and descriptions and NGC gave the trophy to the #2 guy because he had more coins and a sad story behind it. I do not buy low grade coins and I sacrifice everything to make sure I get a rare coin and He got the trophy. I work a lot to buy the best coins and they are not cheap. I dont understand NGC logic

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/public_sets.aspx?CategoryID=23&SetTypeID=357&sets=all

Sore loser.

Jerseycat10..For someone who has no coins in their collection, u would never understand... I take serious pride ,comment and love of this hobby. This is something u have no idea .. u cant comprehend the sacrifice a lot of ppl in here make to get great coins

Registry has a scoring system. Best coins won the award. I don't see a problem with the owner obscuring the set if they choose to. This would hopefully disqualify them from winning the best signature, best presented, and most educational awards, which you can always strive to win if you lack best coins.