• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasure hunting in the desert

17 posts in this topic

I'd be concerned about hitting a bomb.

Half that area probably still glows in the dark.

Nah, it was used as a training grounds in 1942 for Patton's army before the invasion of North Africa. There weren't any nukes used in the area.

If they really found two 1934-S silver dollars, I guess the GIs at that camp were either extremely careless or felt wealthy enough to let such a sum stay put.

I'd be concerned about hitting a bomb.

Half that area probably still glows in the dark.

Nah, it was used as a training grounds in 1942 for Patton's army before the invasion of North Africa. There weren't any nukes used in the area.

If they really found two 1934-S silver dollars, I guess the GIs at that camp were either extremely careless or felt wealthy enough to let such a sum stay put.

^^:golfclap:

In talking to my dad, he said that my grandfather while in the service, would get paid in silver dollars every payday. (not sure how often they paid them per month back then). Every payday, they would just get handed their pay via Silver dollars, so if they used it as a training grounds in 1942, its very possible, some of the soilders could have just gotten paid and orderd directly out to the field for training.

Dave

In talking to my dad, he said that my grandfather while in the service, would get paid in silver dollars every payday. (not sure how often they paid them per month back then). Every payday, they would just get handed their pay via Silver dollars, so if they used it as a training grounds in 1942, its very possible, some of the soilders could have just gotten paid and orderd directly out to the field for training.

Dave

Interesting, I will check on this and see what the museum here says. I have my doubts since weight and size is always an issue when transporting money. I just can't imagine a pay master setting up his pay station with bags of silver dollars piled to the sky rather than currency. That is the reason the AAFES POGs have become the coin of current deployments instead of coinage, it simply costs too much to transport it.

Also keep in mind that in 1942 they didn't make what we make know. Today a recuit makes more then a most service men did back then. Big difference between 20-30 dollars a payday then compaired to 1000-5000 now adays,

Dave

No doubt, here is a a comparison.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

Still though, highly unlikely that Soldiers were being paid commonly with silver dollars vs currency. It's just a matter of logistics.

I had a similar experience with Floyd Bennett Field here in New York. In the 30's and 40's it was a training base so the old barracks and buildings remain intact but condemned.

After finding some trinkets, I tried to take a metal detector to that back area but was quickly ushered off premises. Oh Well.

Also keep in mind that in 1942 they didn't make what we make know. Today a recuit makes more then a most service men did back then. Big difference between 20-30 dollars a payday then compaired to 1000-5000 now adays,

Dave

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

Still though, highly unlikely that Soldiers were being paid commonly with silver dollars vs currency. It's just a matter of logistics.

When you think about it though, If they maintained the same pay system the service has now, Which is you get paid every other week 1st and 15th of the month (as long as it was a weekday) then the private would only be getting $7.50 pre payday.

How true it is I don't know, I can only go by what my dad has told me about his father (my grandfather getting paid) and having a pocket full of silver dollars to show for it.

I think I may have to call him and ask him more about it.

Dave

Dave let me know if you find out anything. I am an active duty Army finance officer and things like this intrigue me. If it's true they paid with silver dollars I might have to break out the metal detector and do some detecting on some of these older bases. I can probably get away with more on post if I do it in uniform; pretty much no one would say anything.

I can attest to losing things out of my pockets and you learn quickly not to carry money anywhere that doesn't have a button so some lost coinage is to be expected. Throw in the occasional poker game, libations, and rowdy men and anything can happen!

I met a guy one time who was looking at my MPC's and said when he was in Vietnam he would give all his to the local waitress because he figured he may not come back anyway.

Dave let me know if you find out anything. I am an active duty Army finance officer and things like this intrigue me. If it's true they paid with silver dollars I might have to break out the metal detector and do some detecting on some of these older bases. I can probably get away with more on post if I do it in uniform; pretty much no one would say anything.

I can attest to losing things out of my pockets and you learn quickly not to carry money anywhere that doesn't have a button so some lost coinage is to be expected. Throw in the occasional poker game, libations, and rowdy men and anything can happen!

I met a guy one time who was looking at my MPC's and said when he was in Vietnam he would give all his to the local waitress because he figured he may not come back anyway.

Just called my dad to double check on this and he confirmed that they paid them in all sliver dollars. My grandfathr served from 1927-1929. The reason he gave me was that people would not accept the paper dollar thinking they were not real. He mentioned something about the paper money being gold back (not sure about the gold back thing as never really looked into paper money for collecting)

Dave

Dave

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

The difference in the ratios of captain to private pay between the two wars is fascinating. Apparently, they were concerned about "income inequality" back then, too. ;)

Very cool, glad I wasn't a paymaster back then. I bet they had arms like Hercules!

AIR ASSAULT!!

:makepoint: been there, got the T-shirt, didn't however get brainwashed...lol.