• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Less-than-useful auction price references

6 posts in this topic

The following item description for an upcoming Heritage auction puzzled me:

"Victoria Cent 1891 Small Leaves & Small Date, KM7, MS64 ICCS Red, Obverse 3, red-orange mint luster with some attractive purple toning on the reverse. Very scarce variety in this select quality. Krause catalog price(s) for this item: $125 in F."

Why even reference a Krause catalog price for an example in Fine condition when the coin in question is MS64 RD?

Wouldn't it be better to leave out a orice reference instead of including one that is irrelevant to the coin in question?

Hey, at least they give you a price reference. Half the stuff I've been buying foreign-wise lately I've been flying blind.

"Uh... I think that's a good price. Its where everyone else stopped bidding...."

It should be common knowledge at this point that one needs to acquire the reference work for the specific country he/she is collecting, i.e. if I were to bid on a Canadian coin in a Heritage auction I would consult the Charleston guide. If anything, the auctions are showing how undervalued most world coins are in Mint State, especially in Krause.