• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 CONTINENTAL CURRENCY COIN REAL OR FAKE

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'am trying to find out if I've a struck copy or a real Continental dollar coin. It weighes 17.3 grams and measures about 39mm in size. It also has a twin leaf design on the edge of the coin. I have photo's available. Any help would be great. Thanks, Bob

Edited by tokenswanted

Photos would help, but to be honest I would never buy a Continental Dollar that was not certified by NGC or PCGS. There are just too many copies out there. I’ve known dealers who thought they knew what they were doing in this area who got caught.

I’d also advise you have a very fat checking account. These coins go for five figure prices quite easily, and I’m talking well north of $10,000.

I’d also be careful about the price you pay. A dealer, who thought I’d just dropped off the turnip truck, quoted me over a $150,000 each for two he had that were not Mint State or anything that special so far as the grades went. I didn’t know that I looked to that stupid :insane: to other people. ;)

Crude cast replica sold to tourists at souvenir stands at historical sites or sold in magazine ads. These crude copies weren't made to deceive collectors. The ones made before the passage of the Hobby Protection Act in 1984 usually don't have COPY stamped on them.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:05 AM, thebeav said:

The second coin, although a nicer copy, is also a cast counterfeit.

Im curious as to how you have made this conclusion. I have been researching this coin and its multiple variants and have noticed something peculiar... If the image of the coin looks aged, or smoothed, it is immediately considered a replica. I can see the obvious cheap casting aspects but i also have came across a vast amount of aged and smoothed coins that were 100% real... How did you reach your conclusion so i can better understand what the distinguishing factors are for a coin that has so many variations and no substantial records of mintage. I greatly appreciate yours as well as anyone else who can assist in this.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, BusinessDemiGOD said:

Im curious as to how you have made this conclusion. I have been researching this coin and its multiple variants and have noticed something peculiar... If the image of the coin looks aged, or smoothed, it is immediately considered a replica. I can see the obvious cheap casting aspects but i also have came across a vast amount of aged and smoothed coins that were 100% real... How did you reach your conclusion so i can better understand what the distinguishing factors are for a coin that has so many variations and no substantial records of mintage. I greatly appreciate yours as well as anyone else who can assist in this.

Here's the thing......most of us are not going to get into the details of why yours is a fake on here though I have no doubt of what the others said.  The reason for this is that counterfeiters watch these boards and they use what they read to make better fakes.  We do not want to help them do this.  What I would recommend is continuing to look at photos of genuine examples that have been certified by NGC and PCGS and see if you can discern how yours differs from the genuine article.  Another course of action would be trying to locate a dealer who is knowledgeable in this area and taking the coin to them.  They could tell you the problems with it in the privacy of their shop and not create a source for counterfeiters to make better fakes while doing so.  

On 11/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mohawk said:

Here's the thing......most of us are not going to get into the details of why yours is a fake on here though I have no doubt of what the others said.  The reason for this is that counterfeiters watch these boards and they use what they read to make better fakes.  We do not want to help them do this.  What I would recommend is continuing to look at photos of genuine examples that have been certified by NGC and PCGS and see if you can discern how yours differs from the genuine article.  Another course of action would be trying to locate a dealer who is knowledgeable in this area and taking the coin to them.  They could tell you the problems with it in the privacy of their shop and not create a source for counterfeiters to make better fakes while doing so.  

I was simply just trying to understand so I'm more knowledgeable in numismatics. I'm still fairly new...... I do like the approach to not assisting in the counterfeit coins!  Thanks for your time

On 11/4/2021 at 3:47 PM, BusinessDemiGOD said:

I was simply just trying to understand so I'm more knowledgeable in numismatics. I'm still fairly new...... I do like the approach to not assisting in the counterfeit coins!  Thanks for your time

No problem.  I just wanted to explain to you why you were unlikely to receive an answer to your inquiry.  It was nothing personal against you, that's for sure.  But, yeah, fakers watch this place like hawks on the prowl.  The good thing is that most of us who have been here a while are onto them.  

On 11/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, Mohawk said:

No problem.  I just wanted to explain to you why you were unlikely to receive an answer to your inquiry.  It was nothing personal against you, that's for sure.  But, yeah, fakers watch this place like hawks on the prowl.  The good thing is that most of us who have been here a while are onto them.  

Very disappointing that people can turn something enjoyable into criminal intent for greed. I'm going to be attending my first coin show here in Tennessee... Maybe i can find someone and discuss things like this in person without taking up to much of there time! lol Thank you once again for your time!

The professional numismatist on here have been dealing with coins for years and years. They know what to look for and can almost tell right away between genuine examples and fakes and replicas. As @Mowhawk said above I dont want to mention any details on what they look for. But they are good at what they fo. 

On 11/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, BusinessDemiGOD said:

Over the past 50 years, I've examined many genuine examples when given the opportunity. Also, I've seen, literally, hundreds and hundreds, if not, more than a thousand copies. I bought my first copy at our historical society when I was about 8 years old. Everyone on my block probably has one.

Go to the Heritage site and look at a few genuine examples. You'll see that that they really don't look at all alike......