• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obverse or Reverse?

7 posts in this topic

Take 2

I had intended my previous journal entry to be open for discussion on the Chat Boards, but despite my checking the appropriate boxes, the link doesn't seem to appear. I had some cross-site scripting disabled which may be the cause of the problem. That is now enabled, but the only way I know to test it is with another journal post, so here it is. The attached image is of the other side of the AU55 coin shown previously.

Responses to my previous journal post are welcome here, assuming that is that the "Discuss on Chat Boards" link now appears. :)

9878.jpg

See more journals by coin928

Great journal post - very informative ...

Many (most??) coin collectors who've gone through a serious raw stash phase are familiar with these 10c. filipino coins. Foreign wars and overseas military deployments seem to be a very big reason for foreign coin hoards in the U.S. I've saved a few of those silvers, too - and now I know more about them :-)

Thanks!

Hi Gay,

This is WAY off topic and probably won't help you, but here goes.

I use the Firefox browser with the NoScript extension. NoScript disables scripting from all websites until you explicitly enable it. You have no idea how many other web sites get accessed when you go to a specific web site until you disable them all. For example, collectors-society.com makes calls to functions provided by google-analytics.com. I enabled -script execution by collectors-society.com, but I had not enabled google-analytics.com. This didn't cause me any problems until I tried to post a journal entry AND allow message board responses to it. The journal entry appeared, but responses were not allowed until I also enabled scripting from google-analytics.com.

I may not have explained this very well, but I hope it helps.

Harry

Thanks Harry, now back on subject, your Philippine Peso/Centavo type set is really neat. I especially love the design of the early US Administration coins. I currently own a PF-62 1904 50 Centavo coin in my collection. As to your post on obverse/reverse issue, I never knew there was a controversy. Until now I have always considered the eagle as the reverse. Well now I'm not so sure, you raise some interesting questions. That there are inconsistencies in the coinage of the Philippines is not in question, but which side people fall on will always be in question. Because I've been conditioned to have the figure as the obverse for so many years, I think I'll stick with it. All the best in pursuing your collecting interests.

Gary hm

Thanks for the feedback Gary. I appreciate your position, and honestly, you're probably with the majority on this issue. Lyman Allen's book was my first reference guide which is why I've stuck with my definitions.

Harry