• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The only "perfect" set graded thus far! posted by Kamakazy

33 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 25th Anniversary Set arrived from NGC today. I must first comment NGC on a 7 day turnaround door to door. That was amazingly fast.

So here it is, MS/PF 70 25th Set, Sequentially Slabbed 001,002,003,004,005. (Early Release).

A few of you have contacted me, and I will just say, you are correct, that I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays the ONLY SET, sequentially slabbed, early release at 70!

Enjoy the photo and best of luck to those of you still hunting this set!

9864.jpg

See more journals by Kamakazy

I didn't request brown, but I am assuming they either "ran out" of the labels or someone for got to push the button on the print machine switching to the "special" label.

Regardless, I am more than happy with the set!

I hear ya Bud----Brown Labels---Blue Labels Who cares, that is a swell set B A. I,ll check in on ya 12-05-2011 to see where your total points end up after you load those beauties and the Mocoms you sent in.

GET-R-DONE---------------------------Rick

Gary,

Kamakazy is not talking full 70 set. He is saying full 70 set consecutive numbers---01 to 05. You can only achive this by getting 1 set graded seperately. You got 2 sets so your out. Still best of luck on those grades bud.

B A , I barrowed your picture for a new backscreen, Thanks

Thanks for the comments all. After looking at my submission form, I checked off modern, instead of modern special, therefore brown label, which may also turn out to be a blessing as I have also seen no sets with a brown label.

Gary, dude I feel for you if you sent in two sets on the same form. You can still send in multiple sets but you need to break them out into separate submission forms to get a "true" perfect graded set. UNLESS you listed the coins 1-5 and then the second set 1-5, then they may get graded as individual sets.

Hey, Rick - I am coming through South Carolina, most likely Sunday afternoon, let me know if you want to try to get together. I will bring some good LOOT!

But I only bought one set and sent it in without opening the box. I have all my eggs in one basket and I will take whatever grades I get, numbered 1 through 5.

So until my coins clear quality control, I'm still in the hunt. After all, isn't dreaming and hoping a part of Christmas?

Gary ;)

Gary,

My mistake , I thought you got two,

That would be too COOL ----

One friend with brown labled 70s sequential #s and the other with blue lables.

You did check the Modern Special grading tier box------right?

Actually, there is a price difference for the grading tiers. Modern $14.00 Modern Special $17.00, however for some reason dealers always mark up the labels instead of the coin and it's merits.

In this instance I just wasn't paying attention to the tier for a special label, they still put 25th set on the label.

G-Myth,

You will still recieve the 25th Aniv. Early Release lable. It will just be regular brown tier color like Kamakazy's instead of blue. There should be no price value difference as the coin will designate Early Release as long as they are accepted at NGC before Dec 10th I believe.

WOW, that will make it rough on Eagles-R-it. He is collecting every different "slab"for 2011 eagles. So now you guys checked the wrong box and created another set of slabs = BROWN ER25th Aniv. He'll love you for that one.

Well I was one of the folks the mint strung along until November 24th to tell them they were cancelled, I'm disappointed but only because they gave me false hope the whole time.

If they could have told me it was cancelled as soon as they started shipping the coins it would have been better, but then again I don't run the mint.

I guess I don't get any like usual, I'm just going to have to stick with something else in PF70UC. I just added my 250th PF70UC coin to my collection. WOW I never thought I'd get there.

Congratulations on your perfect set! However, there are any number of PR70/MS70 NGC graded perfect sets offered on eBay - not always in consecutive number order. I often wondered how important it was to really have a consecutive number order set. Here's something to blow your mind - there are many, many PCGS PF70/MS70 25th Anniversary Coin Sets offered on eBay - AND the PCGS sets do not have any numbers on the slabs - just a bar code. So, with PCGS it would not be possible to have a consecutive number order set of coins. Just an interesting observation.

With my luck, I'll end up with a Rev PF-67.

Hey Guys, how the heck can I change the pic & info on my Profile? The first time I signed on, it was all so easy. But now there isn't any "Submit" botton in the Profile to confirm changes like there is in my "Preferences". References point to the Forum "Island"- I think mine sunk! Am I looking in the wrong place?

Well, then, they are not a perfect set, are they? A perfect set can only come out of one submission, not multiple submissions that are then pieced together with 70 coins from multiple sets. The coins may be perfect but they are not 70 sets in my opinion.

I would rather have a perfect car built at the factory rather than one put together with perfect parts from EBay.

This may blow your mind but I have actually used EBay before and was one of the original pre- S1 filing shareholders. Your post sounds as if you think I am a novice at this and that I am clueless as to what is being offered on EBay.

Well, then, they are not a perfect set, are they? A perfect set can only come out of one submission, not multiple submissions that are then pieced together with 70 coins from multiple sets. The coins may be perfect but they are not 70 sets in my opinion.

I would rather have a perfect car built at the factory rather than one put together with perfect parts from EBay.

This may blow your mind but I have actually used EBay before and was one of the original pre- S1 filing shareholders. Your post sounds as if you think I am a novice at this and that I am clueless as to what is being offered on EBay.

Interesting criteria you have established for "a perfect set". One coin in perfect grade of each ( a complete set) is not a perfect set? hm

So, only if the US mint grabs 5 coins -that were all minted at different times, all struck with different dies, many at different locations and were indiscriminately placed in pre-molded 5-coin holders. Only if these 5 coins from the same box/package are all graded as 70's does it count?

A 5 coin set of one of each variety does not count as a perfect set? You may be right but I am curious as to the definition of , "a set" then. PS: numbers on the slab are submission numbers and the -000 is the line number on the submission. I once bought 2 coins- the second coin years after the first and from a seperate dealer and found them to have sequential slab numbers--that was pretty cool also.

Congrats on your great submission....... (thumbs u

Yeah, you are on the money on how I determine a perfect set. I do the same with my gold sets and other sets. If it doesn't grade 70 then I consider myself SOL. For example, my 2008 burnished gold set came back with a MS 69 on one of the four coins. By my standards my set is intact but it has one grade off on one of the coins. Now I could upgrade the one coin and have a perfect 70 set, but it would not be a perfect set all from the same box upon a submission. I am of the opinion that is EXTREMELY difficult these days to get a perfect set of 70 out of a single submission, especially with dealers and bulk submissions. There is no art or challenge for me that way. Anyone can piecee together a graded set from multiple submissions, it takes a bit more to get a perfect set by my standards.