• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Silver Eagles - Why All the Love? posted by MV Coins

22 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Borrowed Obverse and Dull Reverse - Can't You Find a Nicer Series of U.S. Coins to Collect?

Seriously - why all the love for American Silver Eagle (ASE) bullion coins. For 25 years the U.S. mint has been banging out these same tired coins with the Obverse "stolen" or "borrowed" from the very nice Adolph Weinman Liberty Walking Half Dollar (1917-1947) and a dull reverse by John Mercanti of a heraldic eagle. Sure the reverse proof ASE is interesting but why all the fuss? Can't you simply collect the much nicer Liberty Walking Half Dollars which were actually put into circulation or the proof version of these same coins? The Eagle on the reverse is much nicer!

To be fair I knew you all would by these silly coins from the mint and I was very pleased to make a nice fat profit selling my sets of 25th Annivesary American Silver Eagles (I got in during the first 40 minutes). I'll take the money and by some nice Pre-1933 U.S. Gold Coins - something of real and lasting value. Maybe the mint will keep going for another 25 years producing these same boring ASE coins for you to collect. You can only hope!

See more journals by MV Coins

Why waste your time coming to this forum just to spew out a bunch of *spoon*. No one needs people like you here. Go crawl back under the rock you came from!!!

Actually I was thinking the same thing. Many people who actually like these coins tried unsuccessfully to get them and some disease gets on here bragging how he got so much money from coins he doesn't like to buy gold coins. You MVcoins are truly a heartless user of people and I for one don't want you here bragging about your exploits. I did get 5 of these sets but have made arrangements to sell all but the 1 I will keep at the price I paid plus grading nothing more and nothing less.

I think this forum should be for people to advance their opinions no matter how much we disagree. Personal attacks are NEVER appropriate but a spirited debate on the merits of a particular issuance or a little chest thumping about a financial triumph, turning SAEs into G O L D for instance, is OK by me. After all, we already have several of our members bragging about their 70 grades. You know what, I am happy for them and am happy for MV Coins and his rant.

Later,

Malcolm

gee,just maybe I OWN all the halves and kinda like the image.maybe your sooo into your 1good decision on coins that you have to brag.i do something well,i think of it as an accomplisment,not the right to brag,so please keep your shallow,and,blind eye to coin collecting to the school yard.

Pretty subjective hobby to be so critical of what another person collects. The design is beautiful to some and not to others. doesn't mean that's good or bad, stupid or brilliant just personal prefernce or eye appeal. appreciation in value isn't a prerequisite for collectability or popularity and doesn't mean the same thing to each collector. to each his or her own, diversity of opinion and open constructive debate, respect for your fellows and their achievements is the basis of community, trust that your opinion has value and is appreciated as such by your peers.

You have only confirmed to your fellow members the quality of your character or lack there of.

Reminds me of the children arguing ...

"my coin is better than your coin"

While Malcome may be right, the OP clearly posted his/her thoughts to offend collectors of ASE. (Silver Eagle = "Silly Coin")

Perhaps it's the only way he/she can get any attention?

I guess MVcoin just doesn't get the spirit of coin collecting.

M V,

Unlike you I do enjoy collecting ALL coins. As for the 2011 Aniv. set I think it will be swell to obtain one 70 set for my collection. I was lucky to be off work the day of the mint sale but my order was too late after 4 1/2 hours of ordering just to be cancelled. When the sets started selling from others I searched at lunch breaks and evenings for someone selling one set in the shipping box only to see 5 set boxes everywhere and single sets that were taken out already. My last chance will be the first week or two of December. The market will get flooded with the graded sets and the price will drop as people need cash for christmas. It seems the bids on the bay have come down 30% since the first listings a week ago.

Good Luck to those that are collectors of these sets.

Happy Turkey Day

Later---Rick

I think this forum should be for people to advance their opinions no matter how much we disagree. Personal attacks are NEVER appropriate but a spirited debate on the merits of a particular issuance or a little chest thumping about a financial triumph, turning SAEs into G O L D for instance, is OK by me. After all, we already have several of our members bragging about their 70 grades. You know what, I am happy for them and am happy for MV Coins and his rant.

Later,

Malcolm

This was clearly a post of sarcasm and attack of SAE collectors, not something eduacational or inteligent. I've been collecting SAE's for yrs and I happen to love the design. If niether of you have a preference for them, then that is your choice. There really isn't any need to knock the collectors that do.

Later,

Malcolm

1. There were 100,000 sets issued

2. Many sets were opened because people bought them that didn't understand the series or the need to send them unopened for grading.

3. If all 50% of the remaining sets were sent in unopened the the highest possibility of all five coins with the special label is 50,000 which is closer to the 30,000 of the 1995 Silver Eagle. It might even be a little more but much less than 100,000

4. In an opened set there is no difference in labels and no way of distinguishing them from the three that were already issued.

5. There has already been a 2011 Silver Eagle issued without the San Francisco Mint Mark but the label "minted in San Francisco. How much of a premium will there be on the same coin being minted in San Francisco with or without the Mint mark?. How much are people willing to pay for it?

Those are the Facts.

Later,

Malcolm

Well said Malcolm. I agree that people can express their opinions and even brag a little, who cares? It's not a personal attack on anyone here, and it's one of the freedoms of this country.

It's interesting to me how when someone expresses a dislike for the ASEs they are immediately berated. But, for those of us who collect ultra-modern coinage (actual circulating coinage), we are constantly berated in public forums for the coins not being "collectable worthy".

At first, I thought the OP was one of the normal "modern coinage" trashers. But, upon looking at his/her registry sets, that is not the case, Among them are a full set of modern proofs including the recent state/territory/national parks quarters, etc. Thus, I interpreted the post as a public airing of how this person has found a way to collect something he likes by working a broken system. If you have any disdain for his/her actions, it should be focused on the US Mint and the way they handled the fiasco.

Just my 2 cents....

M V,

Unlike you I do enjoy collecting ALL coins. As for the 2011 Aniv. set I think it will be swell to obtain one 70 set for my collection. I was lucky to be off work the day of the mint sale but my order was too late after 4 1/2 hours of ordering just to be cancelled. When the sets started selling from others I searched at lunch breaks and evenings for someone selling one set in the shipping box only to see 5 set boxes everywhere and single sets that were taken out already. My last chance will be the first week or two of December. The market will get flooded with the graded sets and the price will drop as people need cash for christmas. It seems the bids on the bay have come down 30% since the first listings a week ago.

Good Luck to those that are collectors of these sets.

Happy Turkey Day

Later---Rick

You may be out of luck for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post.

1. There were 100,000 issued sets,

2. If 50% of them were opened for whatever reason then the most sets that can be sent in for grading for the special label will be 50,000 which is much closer to the 30,000 of the 1995 instead of 100,000.

3. Even if only 30% were opened and I suspect that it was at least that many then the number is still less than 100,000.

The Series has been ruined because of the greed of people which either destroyed it to some extent or the actions that made the series with the special label more scarce and put it out of reach of the average collector. .

I only say this "in my humble opinion"

I remember almost three years ago when the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle was the rage. It seemed that these same boards were flush with nothing but buzz around this one issue. Since this was a coin I was very interested in, I was a very active participant in that buzz with numerous posts of my own.

Then as it is today, there were probably many members who thought, "enough already, can we just move on?" Part of what I believe "MV Coins" is expressing is a weariness of this issue on the boards. However, just as the buzz over UHR eventually passed, so to will the 25th anniversary SAE. Furthermore, just as people were patient with my prating over the UHR, so to should people over the SAE. Remember the old phrase, "this to shall pass."

Then there is yet another perspective and that is to participate in the joys and frustrations of fellow collectors. Regardless of the post, I read them all. I can truely get exited over Kamakazy's Royal Flush just as I can scratch my head over NAS Fallon Firefighter's PF-68 (BTW, I got a 2006 SAE reverse proof graded at 68 for a bargain price that still looks mighty fine). To me sharing the experience is part of the fun.

Now for a little SAE prating of my own. I bought one set and mailed it to NGC almost 2 weeks ago. After 11 days for crying out load it finally arrived in Sarasota yesterday just in time for Thanksgiving and a little more of a delay that comes with the holiday. At any rate I am thankful that my box finally got there safe and sound, as I was beginning to worry a bit. I bought one set and cashed in my 5 free annual coupon for the grading. I decided to take whatever grades I get, after all I do own a 2006 MS-68 that looks like a 70. However, I'd be lying if I said I don't hope for the "Kamakazy Royal Flush."

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and as always Happy Collecting"

Gary hm

I agree with MV ONLY in the fact that the Silver Eagle isn't a particularly original or especially beautiful design(heck, the Gold and Platinum eagle beat the silver out there). Maybe the Mint adopt another design for the silver down the line.

But it is IS there for the collector to buy or not, to collect- Or not! He(MV) got his 5 sets, and said he cleaned up on them!(or not?) And we all agree on this, Who Cares!

If he wants to b-ch about things here, let him- We'll understand!(and lafff).

Let's all enjoy ourselves, Folks.