• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Congressional Folly

14 posts in this topic

Yet another commemorative that will never sell out.

Folks,

I just received my latest issue of NN and immediately latched onto an article about the latest commemorative coin series approved by Congress. This 3 coin set will honor the 75th Anniversary of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Now I have visited the HOF and found it, and the surrounding town of Cooperstown, to be historical and fascinating. But I cannot fathom why anyone would even consider buying the HOF commemoratives unless they are just completists forever tied to the Mint's mediocre offerings.

I jumped off that trainwreck long ago and unless a coin/medal is for 9/11 or some simulurly important event, I ain't biting. What's next, the National Farm Toy Museum Commemoratives? Branson MO was incorporated in 1912, is it too late to make some commemoratives for that fine upstanding American City? STOP THE MADNESS, don't buy such cowpies from the mint.

Sorry for the Rant,

Malcolm

http://www.coinnews.net/2011/10/27/house...ative-coin-act/

9846.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

Are they planning a 2012 Titanic memorial commemorative? War of 1812? I agree with you Malcolm, it seems they are running out of ideas, and just clambering around. Maybe they should take a break from the Commems as they did from 1955-1981.

Hey Brandon,

There WILL be a commemorative for the War of 1812. I quote from Mint News Blog.

"The authorizing legislation provides that the designs “shall be emblematic of the War of 1812 and particularly the Battle for Baltimore that formed the basis for the Star-Spangled Banner.” Only one US Mint facility may be used to strike any particular quality of the coins, meaning at least two different facilities will be used."

I think it's far more worthy than the 75th Anniversary of the Baseball HOF. Canada will probably handle the Titanic on our behalf.

Later,

Malcolm

A commemorative coin shold recognize a significant event or accomplishment. The baseball HOF is a venue to recognize significant events in that sport . A commemorative coin series to recognize a venue for recognizing accomplishments is beyond ridiculous. How about a 2012 commemorative coin set recognizing the 30th anniversary of the modern commemorative coin series?

I agree with beawchan on this one. I also "jumped off that trainwreck" in the early 90's, when it became obvious the Mint was going to issue unlimited commemorative coin series with unlimited mintages. I have a box full of them that I may break even on if the price of silver ever gets above $50, because they will probably never be worth more than the metal in them.

I think they should issue one commemorating the first PF70 & MS70 commems ever certified. Wouldn't it be a "trip" if none of them graded 70?

Chris

Are they planning a 2012 Titanic memorial commemorative? War of 1812? I agree with you Malcolm, it seems they are running out of ideas, and just clambering around. Maybe they should take a break from the Commems as they did from 1955-1981.

I'll second that. Its time to give it a rest already

Military Commemoratives are nice but I certainly agree that the mint has way too much stuff at offering and you have to be a millionaire to own one of everything. I rather see fewer, higher quality offerings.

I think they chose the Baseball HOF because then they can use the "cool" cup shaped coin presses again? Who knows. But, again, it's a silly thing to "commemorate". I hope they design the War of 1812 commemorative well.

The most recent commemorative I own is the 1986 statue of liberty 50C -- and that only because I liked the message on the reverse.

There are 227 commemorative issues since 1982 (I just looked through the pictures of the #1 Set on NGC), and I have to say, they are seriously striking out in terms of designs (baseball reference intended!) lol

zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz

Military Commemoratives are nice but I certainly agree that the mint has way too much stuff at offering and you have to be a millionaire to own one of everything. I rather see fewer, higher quality offerings.

I am going to try and collect the military themed silver dollars but that is somewhere down the line, Gotta get enough scratch to complete the silver war nickel and get halfway (4 to go) on the early commemoratives before I start tackling that baby.

The commemoratives have their good and bad points. I whole heartedly agree that they are overdone and lacking in orginal ideas. However, they are relatively affordable, so someone of moderate means can put together a nice looking set. For the most part, you can get them for less than $100. Plus, it is a nice heavy coin with many new designs. It kind of breaks up the monotony seen in a lot of series.

That being said, you have to wonder how long the mint will continue to strike just so that they can have two commemoratives per year.

I also saw the article in NN. My first thought was, "Wow. That's a whole lot of blanks that could have been used for the 25th anniversary eagles."

Marcus

I have yet to make what one would even consider to be good money in my life yet I have a decent modern proof commem set going. I have found in the realm of coin collecting, that ambition means more than money. If I was a millionaire I still wouldn't have a PF70UC High Jump commem because they are extremely rare and I haven't seen one come up for auction yet.

I have 36 coins all PF70UC and its #33 on the list. I find it challenging and fun. So far my least favorite coin is the Braille coin.

There are at least 10 different $1 coins in the modern commem set that are under $100 if you find one at auction.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I followed the link Beawchan referenced, and there are two interesting points to take note of:

1. The commemorative coin Act, numbered H.R. 2527 was introduced by Rep. Richard L. Hanna, R-N.Y.

2. "Surcharges for each commemorative coin the United States Mint sold would go to the not-for-profit National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, located in Cooperstown, N.Y., 'to help finance its operations.' ... Surcharges would include $35 for each $5 gold coin, $10 per silver dollar and $5 for each clad half dollar."

Hmmm... Introduced by the Representative from New York, and the surcharges you pay as part of the price of the coins, go directly to an institution in New York. Sounds like pure pork barrel politics to me.

This is pretty typical of all commemorative coins. That's why there's so many of them!