• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1799 Silver dollar

18 posts in this topic

Will she grade with the rim bruise on the reverse? And if so what grade might she fetch?

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

Another viewing angle :) Thanks for your input

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5320.jpg

Oh , I didn't even see that. Thanks Bobby. It is very difficult to see in hand without magnification no matter how I twirl the coin. :(

I can't see any coin unless I'm wearing glasses and my pocket mag glass. lol

Still a nice old dollar Rons. I'd love to have a 17?? dollar anyday no matter what condition it's in. (thumbs u

The coin won’t grade because of:

1) Graffiti on Reverse

2) Major dent on the right obverse

3) Rim Dents

Good coin to keep raw and enjoy in its natural state.

That graffiti on the reverse makes my stomach turn... why in the world would someone do that to a coin, a piece of American history? I would like to find the perp and carve something into their back :makepoint:

You would have to dig that person up becuase he or she has probably been dead for close to 150 years :grin:

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not/could not see the graffiti when I looked at it pre auction. :blush: I didn't see it when I got it it home and didn't see in until I looked at the images. Even knowing it is there it is very difficult to see with the naked eye. Lesson learned but better shared than hidden. Always ask for another set of eyes and opinion. I need a portable light source for certain. I believe I can recoup my price as it was not close to book. Thanks to all for their thoughts. Any guess as to the details grade?

That graffiti on the reverse makes my stomach turn... why in the world would someone do that to a coin, a piece of American history? I would like to find the perp and carve something into their back :makepoint:

You would have to dig that person up because he or she has probably been dead for close to 150 years :grin:

It was probably just some kid carving his new girlfriends initials (Prudence Penelope Dumont) into what he had handy.

VG Details - Damaged

For the record I have missed worse that this until I saw the high definition photo several times or a friend pointed it out. Sometimes we see only what we want to see!

It was probably just some kid carving his new girlfriends initials (Prudence Penelope Dumont) into what he had handy.

This sounds suspiciously like a confession. Did you ever make Prudy an "honest woman"? :kidaround: Thanks for your guesstimate :)

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not/could not see the graffiti when I looked at it pre auction. :blush: I didn't see it when I got it it home and didn't see in until I looked at the images. Even knowing it is there it is very difficult to see with the naked eye. Lesson learned but better shared than hidden. Always ask for another set of eyes and opinion. I need a portable light source for certain. I believe I can recoup my price as it was not close to book. Thanks to all for their thoughts. Any guess as to the details grade?

Ok so you have a damaged 1799 dollar. Regardless that coin has so much history and you can actually hold it in your hand and not worry about it !!!

At this point,

I will say that any old silver dollar is still pretty cool, no matter what the problems.

(thumbs u

a really good looking, crusty and cool with my grade being vg

and a more popular date early dollar from the 18th century

i also think hm this is the attribution of your early dollar

1799 draped bust heraldic eagle dollar

obverse stars 7 left & 6 right

close 17 obverse

variety---- bowers-borchardt bb-158, bolender b-16, r-1

Thanks to all for their kind comments. Special thanks to Michael for his attribution. I felt real bad about buying this after seeing the graffiti on the images. It is very difficult to see in hand so I have forgiven myself. Since getting over my disappointment I find that I enjoy this coin more and more every day. I appreciate all the comments which help me to consider the coin from other aspects especially the historic significance. If only the graffiti had said George Washington was here lol

Thanks to all for their kind comments. Special thanks to Michael for his attribution. I felt real bad about buying this after seeing the graffiti on the images. It is very difficult to see in hand so I have forgiven myself. Since getting over my disappointment I find that I enjoy this coin more and more every day. I appreciate all the comments which help me to consider the coin from other aspects especially the historic significance. If only the graffiti had said George Washington was here lol

I like it alot as well

and you could probably add George Washington was here

or the bill saying 'where's george?'