• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 Mercury Dime FB

78 posts in this topic

I agree with Mark T that the coin is close. Your first photograph, however, makes it look like there is a tick on the left most quarter that interrupts the bands. This may be enough in and of itself to rule out a FB designation.

I may be the wet blanket. From those images, it appears to me that you will not get the coveted FB designation.

Sorry :( .

:cry:

OK, safety and security question.

We have received an email with a copy of the NGC submission form and the FedEx shipping label from the company offering to pay for express grading of the coin.

The NGC submission form has the dealer's name and number filled in, along with Express Service box checked. The coin information is entered as -

"QTY: 1, Coin Date: 1945, Declared Value:$7,000."

The paper work is signed at the bottom, with the billing information "on file" etc... This is all I can see on the form (emailed to me.)

The shipping address for the coin when the grading process has been completed, is listed as the address of the sponsoring company. Shouldn't the coin be coming back to me?

Something doesn't seem right? Does the above outlined process seem unusual to anyone? hm

The coin will be returned to the submitter , in this case the Blue Moon Coins. This is normal . I do not think the coin can be mailed to you - anyone here know differently ??

Yes, the coin can be and absolutely should be returned to the owner, not the submitting dealer. I have arranged that for a number of clients for whom I submitted coins.

And unfortunately, I have seen more than a couple of posts on various forums over the years regarding problems with the dealer whose name was mentioned. I intervened and served as a mediator, once or twice.

OK, safety and security question.

We have received an email with a copy of the NGC submission form and the FedEx shipping label from the company offering to pay for express grading of the coin.

The NGC submission form has the dealer's name and number filled in, along with Express Service box checked. The coin information is entered as -

"QTY: 1, Coin Date: 1945, Declared Value:$7,000."

The paper work is signed at the bottom, with the billing information "on file" etc... This is all I can see on the form (emailed to me.)

The shipping address for the coin when the grading process has been completed, is listed as the address of the sponsoring company. Shouldn't the coin be coming back to me?

Something doesn't seem right? Does the above outlined process seem unusual to anyone? hm

The coin will be returned to the submitter , in this case the Blue Moon Coins. This is normal . I do not think the coin can be mailed to you - anyone here know differently ??

Yes, the coin can be and absolutely should be returned to the owner, not the submitting dealer. I have arranged that for a number of clients for whom I submitted coins.

And unfortunately, I have seen more than a couple of posts on various forums over the years regarding problems with the dealer whose name was mentioned. I intervened and served as a mediator, once or twice.

The first time I submitted a coin to PCGS it was through a dealer – the coin went back to him. He never offered to have it sent to me. I trusted him 100 % . I thought it was policy that the coin is sent back to the submitter. Since that time I only submitted coins directly.

Well the coin is being graded by NGC and not PCGS. Here are two examples of 1945 FB posted by PCGS, followed by our coin. Still have the same opinion?

These two are 1945 FB/FSB PCGS

creative-design-solutions012003.jpg

creative-design-solutions012002.jpg

This is our coin

creative-design-solutions012001.jpg

I really think it is a 'Toss-up.' BTW, we registered with NGC so we can submit directly for grading and not have to worry about un-trustworthy dealers.

What kind of issues had come to light?

I received today (from that same dealer) a BU roll of 1943-D WWII Silver nickels. Every single coin had a thumb print on the back!!!!! :o

I would like to know what other problems they have had. I was already getting an uncomfortable feeling from them with the whole "having my coin shipped to them." hm

What kind of issues had come to light?

I received today (from that same dealer) a BU roll of 1943-D WWII Silver nickels. Every single coin had a thumb print on the back!!!!! :o

I would like to know what other problems they have had. I was already getting an uncomfortable feeling from them with the whole "having my coin shipped to them." hm

I'm not going to go into details here. There is no reason why you can't and shouldn't have your submission be shipped directly back to you from PCGS. If they aren't willing to do that, don't ship the coin to them.

Based on DeepStrike's last post with pictures, if PCGS actually graded that one FB I'm sure he has a chance at the designation. But if I were a Merc collector I'd never buy his coin. If I'm going to pay those crazy premiums for such a small little thing the bands better be strong and pretty much rounded.

I hope DS get the designation though!

jom

They are not going to have access to the coin.

We have joined/registered with NGC ourselves and have submitted the coin ourselves. When I saw that the coin was not going to be returned to us, I lost faith in said dealer.

You can PM me with the generalities without going into much detail... hm

I would never buy the coin either! However, being on this end, I hope it gets the FB, because our Combat Veterans Org. could really use the money.

Not to mention, if the coin comes out a ^^ , we will return part of the profit to the people who sold us the coin in the first place. It is the right and honorable thing to do. :golfclap:

comparing coins in slabs and submitting raw coins are close

to comparing apples and oranges

some grading services guarantee their grade, so if it is close, it is close enough to remain the same grade

if you cracked out your FB example and sent it in raw, it would probably not come back as FB again

they now know what the 'high value' designations are, and are especially careful on giving that grade/designation out

the 1945-P Mercury, 1953-S Franklin, 1961-D Jefferson now need to be more than close enough

I really think it is a 'Toss-up.' BTW, we registered with NGC so we can submit directly for grading and not have to worry about un-trustworthy dealers.

You unquestionably did the wise thing! Here's hoping you get the FB designation.

I would never buy the coin either! However, being on this end, I hope it gets the FB, because our Combat Veterans Org. could really use the money.

Not to mention, if the coin comes out a ^^ , we will return part of the profit to the people who sold us the coin in the first place. It is the right and honorable thing to do. :golfclap:

That's admirable of you to think of that. How can one not pull for you? I hope you get it. As others have pointed out, though, it's not going to be easy. Just look at that price spread! And, don't forget, these TPGs are "market grading," which means, to give it a "FB," they're going to have to be satisfied the market will tolerate that price on this coin. Otherwise, they get laughed out of the business.

Just an FYI you sent the coin to the toughest grading service when it comes to "designations".... Would have had a better shot at PCGS...... They would have been tougher on the overall grade....... But who cares about the grade ou just need the bands

Well, we sent the coin where we felt comfortable. If worst comes to worst, it can be cracked-out and resubmitted to PCGS/ICG. I certainly hope that is not the case though..... :wishluck:

ICG is a waste of money at this point; many collectors and dealers have lost respect for them and your coin would be less liquid. The same applies to ANACS. With this said, I doubt that PCGS will give the coin a FB designation if NGC doesn't, but of the alternative possibilities, it is the only one that I would consider.

Don’t bother with ICG or ANACS.

If NGC does not give you the FB it is highly unlikely PCGS will either.

As I posted earlier because of how rare this coin is with FB the grading services will be very tight.

Well, it figures we would send the coin for express service on a week when we have a holiday. NGC received on Tuesday. Here it is Saturday and the coin will probably not be finished / shipped until Monday at the earliest. A more realistic guess would be shipped next Tuesday.

It is very difficult waiting for the results. We have several Combat Brothers whose families have been affected by the recent disastrous weather events in the Northeast and South whom are in desperate need of some relief from our Disaster Relief Fund.

*Disaster Relief Fund: Provides emergency assistance to 40th Field Artillery Veterans and their immediate family members. Examples include, but are not limited to: The total loss (or loss of use) of a veteran's primary residence due to fire, flood, tornado, hurricane, earthquake and other recognized 'Acts of God.' Assistance will be provided solely to ensure the immediate safety, shelter and basic supplies of our veterans and the family members living in the distressed residence. This assistance is subject to funds availability. :ohnoez:

So, if anyone feels generous this Thanksgiving holiday, please check out the donation section of our website: 40th Field Artillery, MLRS - Combat Veterans Association - Donation Accounts

My post is not meant to be a solicitation. I just felt in light of where any profit from the 1945 Mercury Dime will go, it would be in order to mention my fellow soldiers. - MAJ Bill Morris :juggle:

Oh so close...but no cigar. I am holding out hope for you but in my opinion it is not FB (nor would I buy it as such); this coin will still carry a premium based on the near fullness of the bands though.

I personally think the coin has to have ENTIRELY full bands for a premium.

STILL WAITING! :ohnoez:

It was sent in on 11/21/11 via FedEx overnight for Express Service. Here it is, December 2nd and still no coin in hand. So much for "Express Service." I understand the time projection is a 'guesstimate,' but this is a bit of a stretch...

I will update everyone as soon as I know something.

On a different note:

I have listed 2 items in the NGC Money Market Place to try and raise some funding for our Veterans Organization's 'Disaster Relief Fund.'

The first is a BU roll of 1943-D WWII Jefferson Nickels and

The second item is an OBW, BU roll of 1953-D Jefferson Nickels.

I listed prices, but am open to any reasonable offers.... Please take a look! We really need the help for some of my combat brothers families. :juggle: