• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 Mercury Dime FB

78 posts in this topic

Hello All ! :hi:

Please take a look at these images and give your thoughts.

I bought a small lot of 16 uncirculated Mercs that came from an estate. To my surprise, included in the lot was a beautiful 1945. (All 16 coins are in similar or better condition than this 1945 MD.) I paid $36 for all 16 coins.

As I turned the 1945 over, I was quite surprised. I do not have the greatest photography skills, so please look past that deficit. The pictures truly do not do justice to the coin.

When looking at the coin in person, the separation between the center bands is quite obvious: Not only to the naked eye, but also under magnification. I just can't figure out how to get the center bands to show up properly in pictures.

Should I send this coin in for certification?

I would very much appreciate your opinions concerning the overall coin grade and the possibility of an FB designation.

Thank you in advance for your help! :wishluck:

DeepStrike

creative-design-solutions011004.jpg

creative-design-solutions011001.jpg

creative-design-solutions011003.jpg

Your pictures aren't very clear; however, I would guess that you would not get a full bands designation. In addition to the split, my experience has been that the bands must also be rounded to garner a FB designation. If you think your coin has a shot, I would consider submitting it.

Thank you for your insight! In person and under 4X magnification, there appears to be roundness on the two center bands. My photography skills stink, I will have to learn how to better photograph coins. Thanks again! (thumbs u

There is also another important aspect that I forgot to point out - if there are contact marks that interrupt/cross the bands, even if they are otherwise split, then the coin will not receive a FB designation. Good luck!

I thought it had already been established that the pictures are lacking in detail?

There are no wear indicators on the coin other than from contact with other coins. Viewed in hand, the coin is clearly uncirculated and MS.

PCGS thinks so... I received a call today from their PR department, offering FREE of charge grading if I would send the coin in to be examined.

I don't know what to do, I have already received a few offers for the coin...

the following pic on your eBay item looks more promising than the 3 above

$(KGrHqF,!gsE5so!GmgyBOv1jdhN7w~~60_12.JPG

ps - I don't think PCGS offers much of anything for free, and would guess they would rather shut down your auction for showing their stuff than give you a free grading

I thought it had already been established that the pictures are lacking in detail?

There are no wear indicators on the coin other than from contact with other coins. Viewed in hand, the coin is clearly uncirculated and MS.

PCGS thinks so... I received a call today from their PR department, offering FREE of charge grading if I would send the coin in to be examined.

I don't know what to do, I have already received a few offers for the coin...

Still, your images is all we have to go on. Based on them, the bands don't look close to full. And, while the coin looks unc. to me, the apparent lack of luster makes an AU grade guess understandable.

I'd be very surprised if PCGS would examine it for free.

Bottom line, your images are not good enough for us to provide you with meaningful advice.

Welcome to the forum.

I do understand that getting a good photo of the bands can be difficult however based on your photo it is obvious to me that those bands are not split in the middle. Even though you offer a return I doubt anyone will take the risk and purchase this coin for your minimum bid. The best advice I can give is – send it to PCGS ( I doubt your comment about free evaluation is true ) – if it does come back MS and FSB you will certainly get a lot more than what you are currently asking for it on EBAY.

The offer of free grading was extended because 'we' are a Combat Veterans Organization. 40th Field Artillery, MLRS - Combat Veterans Association

I have no reason to lie. As soldiers, above anything, we are honest and honorable. Others may have a motive for deceit, but not here...

I did update the pictures on eBay with what I felt might be a better view of the coin than what I had posted here

The reason it is even listed on eBay is because my Gulf War combat unit's 20th Anniversary Reunion is in a couple of weeks and the funds are needed for reunion related expenses. We do not have the time needed to send the coin to be graded, auctioned, etc... That is why we are willing to accept a substantial discount for the coin. Our present needs are more important than the coins possible future value. (I hope that makes sense?) ???

The offer of free grading was extended because 'we' are a Combat Veterans Organization. 40th Field Artillery, MLRS - Combat Veterans Association

I have no reason to lie. As soldiers, above anything, we are honest and honorable. Others may have a motive for deceit, but not here...

I did update the pictures on eBay with what I felt might be a better view of the coin than what I had posted here

The reason it is even listed on eBay is because my Gulf War combat unit's 20th Anniversary Reunion is in a couple of weeks and the funds are needed for reunion related expenses. We do not have the time needed to send the coin to be graded, auctioned, etc... That is why we are willing to accept a substantial discount for the coin. Our present needs are more important than the coins possible future value. (I hope that makes sense?) ???

Let’s forget about the photos and think of this logically.

If you sell the coin for $450 and it does not have Split bands the buyer will return it and you will be exactly where you are now. You need to have this coin evaluated – take it to a reputable local dealer.

One other note – you are setting yourself up for negative feedback if this coin is not what you say it is. Correct me if I am wrong but are you really that familiar with this series to determine if the coin would meet the requirement of full bands based on NGC and PCGS guidelines ??

Look at the picture I attached – are those middle bands similar to my photo?? FYI – This is a 1916 PCGS MS 66 FB CAC certified coin .

117588.jpg.5992e2da01ce650038adbfa2ab0108cb.jpg

The coin is being sent to NGC. Blue Moon Coins in Vancouver, Washington has generously donated the cost for 'express grading service' for this coin. Apparently, they also seem to think the coin has a good chance of being assigned an FB designation. All we can do now is wait and see...

Either way, this is an awesome opportunity for a coin we acquired for a grand total of $2.70. No matter the grading outcome, in the end, it will be a ^^

If you look at the first picture of the reverse in the first post, there seems to be a gash in the right 1/4 of the middle band :eek:

Good luck :wishluck:

The coin is being sent to NGC. Blue Moon Coins in Vancouver, Washington has generously donated the cost for 'express grading service' for this coin.

I thought you were sending this to PCGS? hm

I'm beginning to think that this spam.

The coin is being sent to NGC. Blue Moon Coins in Vancouver, Washington has generously donated the cost for 'express grading service' for this coin.

I thought you were sending this to PCGS? hm

I'm beginning to think that this spam.

1st teir, same thing :shrug:

doh! It just dawned on me what you meant by "sounding like SPAM." I should have left off the name of the business who donated the grading service fee. I guess if you aren't trying to deceive someone, you don't think about things like that...

That would be a really clever and difficult scheme to pull-off... considering they are in WA, the coin is in the 'Deep South' and in the middle, an entire Veterans Assoc. That would be one helluva publicity stunt, not to mention really bad business ethics...

I hope it is a "FB" coin, as that would be great news for you.

To cut to the chase, if you feel that it is, it's a coin well worth the cost of certification, even if you have to pay for it yourself. And almost assuredly, you must put it in a major auction to receive its full worth.

In light of your minimum photography skills, get it professionally imaged if you can prior to sending it to anyone that you don't trust 100%, so as to make sure they don't pull a "switch" on you!!

Deep Strike--I'm sorry for the rude and brutal responses that you had gotten regarding your hopeful and honest question. Not all of us collectors are like that- and I for one wish you good luck with your grading results--even if the coin comes back as an AU and is still FB it will have a really nice resale value since 1945's with FB could almost be considered rare ( and I don't use the word lightly)..Thank you for your service to our country also. If you need to flip the coins for funds for your organization you can PM me when the coin is returned...best of luck, and agin-thank you.

Deep Strike--I'm sorry for the rude and brutal responses that you had gotten regarding your hopeful and honest question. Not all of us collectors are like that- and I for one wish you good luck with your grading results--even if the coin comes back as an AU and is still FB it will have a really nice resale value since 1945's with FB could almost be considered rare ( and I don't use the word lightly)..Thank you for your service to our country also. If you need to flip the coins for funds for your organization you can PM me when the coin is returned...best of luck, and agin-thank you.

No one was rude here. We posted our opinions which based on the pictures did not give most people the feeling that the coin had Split Bands.

No one was rude here. We posted our opinions which based on the pictures did not give most people the feeling that the coin had Split Bands.

No offense Mark T, but your first post was a little rude.

OK, safety and security question.

We have received an email with a copy of the NGC submission form and the FedEx shipping label from the company offering to pay for express grading of the coin.

The NGC submission form has the dealer's name and number filled in, along with Express Service box checked. The coin information is entered as -

"QTY: 1, Coin Date: 1945, Declared Value:$7,000."

The paper work is signed at the bottom, with the billing information "on file" etc... This is all I can see on the form (emailed to me.)

The shipping address for the coin when the grading process has been completed, is listed as the address of the sponsoring company. Shouldn't the coin be coming back to me?

Something doesn't seem right? Does the above outlined process seem unusual to anyone? hm

Was not rude - I am very blunt and to the point . I know I offend some people – that is their problem not mine :grin:

OK, safety and security question.

We have received an email with a copy of the NGC submission form and the FedEx shipping label from the company offering to pay for express grading of the coin.

The NGC submission form has the dealer's name and number filled in, along with Express Service box checked. The coin information is entered as -

"QTY: 1, Coin Date: 1945, Declared Value:$7,000."

The paper work is signed at the bottom, with the billing information "on file" etc... This is all I can see on the form (emailed to me.)

The shipping address for the coin when the grading process has been completed, is listed as the address of the sponsoring company. Shouldn't the coin be coming back to me?

Something doesn't seem right? Does the above outlined process seem unusual to anyone? hm

The coin will be returned to the submitter , in this case the Blue Moon Coins. This is normal . I do not think the coin can be mailed to you - anyone here know differently ??

Was not rude - I am very blunt and to the point . I know I offend some people – that is their problem not mine :grin:

Uhm....

He was offering advice (and logical advice at that). How could you possibly construe anything he said as rude?

Post 1

Based on your photo those center bands are not close to being split .

I also think the coin is AU .

I do understand that getting a good photo of the bands can be difficult however based on your photo it is obvious to me that those bands are not split in the middle. Even though you offer a return I doubt anyone will take the risk and purchase this coin for your minimum bid. The best advice I can give is – send it to PCGS ( I doubt your comment about free evaluation is true ) – if it does come back MS and FSB you will certainly get a lot more than what you are currently asking for it on EBAY.

Post 2

If you sell the coin for $450 and it does not have Split bands the buyer will return it and you will be exactly where you are now. You need to have this coin evaluated – take it to a reputable local dealer.

One other note – you are setting yourself up for negative feedback if this coin is not what you say it is. Correct me if I am wrong but are you really that familiar with this series to determine if the coin would meet the requirement of full bands based on NGC and PCGS guidelines ??

Post 3

Look at the picture I attached – are those middle bands similar to my photo?? FYI – This is a 1916 PCGS MS 66 FB CAC certified coin .

He was offering advice (and logical advice at that). How could you possibly construe anything he said as rude? Even the comment about not believing the free grading was perfectly fair; I see nothing rude about his actions.

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

He was offering advice (and logical advice at that). How could you possibly construe anything he said as rude? Even the comment about not believing the free grading was perfectly fair; I see nothing rude about his actions.

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

I'm not going to point things out- the opinion is in the eyes of the beholder.

BTW, I said 1st post ;)

Maybe these pictures will help. The first picture is from PCGS, it is their standard for a 1945 'Regular Strike.' *Notice the center bands are literally flat.

creative-design-solutions012004.jpg

The next 3 pictures are of our coin. A lot more band definition than the PCGS standard.

creative-design-solutions012001.jpg

creative-design-solutions012002.jpg

creative-design-solutions012003.jpg

So, compared to what PCGS has posted, perhaps our coin would be considered a FB strike for a 1945 Mercury Dime? :wishluck:

Ok based on those new pictures you are very close. I am not sure the bands are fully separated in the middle of the middle bands but I know how dificult it is to get a good photo of band separation so I think you have a shot at it . Because of how rare a FB 1945 is the grading company will be very tight giving the designation. Good luck and let us know as soon as you get the results back.

Lets see how others chime in with your new photos.