• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin will become the most sought after in the 2011 25th Anniversary set? S or Plain? posted by LJ Rambo

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The SAE S mint mark Silver American Eagle will have a total mintage of roughly 100,000 coins, But one of the coins in the set has a population of only 8% with a grade of 70. It's mot the W mint mark.

Ok so we know that two of the coins are very special in the 25th anniversary eagle set. THe Reverse proof and the Mint State with the S mint mark.

Has anyone realized that the regular silver eagle (bullion version) has a population of only 7% to 9%? Well lets also consider the fact that with every opened set we see on the secondary market it reduces the total amount of probable 70's. Remember the secondary market price is based on rarity.

So if the bullion version has only 65,000 available for grading because the original mint cardboard box was opened will mean that only 500 to 550 coins graded as perfect MS70.

I guess what I'm trying to convey to everyone is we don't know what coin is really valuable, until all the facts present themselves and then we chase the real rare one. How many people will kick themselves if they wake up one morning and realize that they gave a real rare coin away for nothing.

Some coins will always be worth a good price in this set, but collect the set for it's beauty and don't be surprised if the bullion version of this set in the NGC Special 25th anniversary Label to worth the highest price.

The true value will could be due to the total population of the 3 coins not getting the coveted 25th anniversary label because we cant prove that they came out of the 5 pc Silver Eagle Set, because the sets were opened. This fact combined with the total average of perfect coins may become a surprise for all coin collectors.

I for one will not let one of my coins ever leave my hands until all the smoke clears. Which is why I own the rarest label on the 20th SAE.

9773.jpg

See more journals by LJ Rambo

I agree 100% !! Hopefully by the end of January the populations on these 5 "SET" coins will give insight on the rare coin(s). I too will hold my 5 graded sets until the smoke clears.

The SAE S mint mark Silver American Eagle will have a total mintage of roughly 100,000 coins, But one of the coins in the set has a population of only 8% with a grade of 70. It's mot the W mint mark.

Ok so we know that two of the coins are very special in the 25th anniversary eagle set. THe Reverse proof and the Mint State with the S mint mark.

Has anyone realized that the regular silver eagle (bullion version) has a population of only 7% to 9%? Well lets also consider the fact that with every opened set we see on the secondary market it reduces the total amount of probable 70's. Remember the secondary market price is based on rarity.

So if the bullion version has only 65,000 available for grading because the original mint cardboard box was opened will mean that only 500 to 550 coins graded as perfect MS70.

I guess what I'm trying to convey to everyone is we don't know what coin is really valuable, until all the facts present themselves and then we chase the real rare one. How many people will kick themselves if they wake up one morning and realize that they gave a real rare coin away for nothing.

Some coins will always be worth a good price in this set, but collect the set for it's beauty and don't be surprised if the bullion version of this set in the NGC Special 25th anniversary Label to worth the highest price.

The true value will could be due to the total population of the 3 coins not getting the coveted 25th anniversary label because we cant prove that they came out of the 5 pc Silver Eagle Set, because the sets were opened. This fact combined with the total average of perfect coins may become a surprise for all coin collectors.

I for one will not let one of my coins ever leave my hands until all the smoke clears. Which is why I own the rarest label on the 20th SAE.

9773.jpg

See more journals by LJ Rambo [/quoteThis is not necessarily true. There has already been a coin out there that does not have the actual San Francisco Mint Mark but the label "minted in San Francisco". This putting an "S" Mint Mark on the coin in the set was obviously a marketing ploy to make the set seem more valuable.I bought the original 2006 Anniversary set from the U.S. Mint. The Reverse Proof graded as PF70. It was $750.00 Before the release of this set the PF70 had already came down to $550 or about 30%. The 2006 is also no longer the only reverse proof. Now there are two. I checked E Bay just out of curiosity last night and a 2006 Reverse Proof PF70 is going for $455 - $475 which is even lower.By your reasoning if there was a lower percentage of an early release Silver Eagle then it would be worth more in the same grade. This is not the case. There is not that demand for the Silver Eagle.There are a large number of people that collect the series but it as a collector to keep the sets up to date. The annual Silver Eagle has no increased that much since 1986. The Majority of the increase in each year is due to the huge increase in the price of Silver from about $6.00 to the present $34.00Aside from liking the beauty of the coin I collected it for the Silver content. It was the only 1oz Silver coin by the U.S. Mint until the 1oz Modern comm for which there is little demand and that coin is drab looking compared to the Silver Eagle. What you have here is a bunch of greedy and selfish people who had never purchased the series before the set and will not purchase the series again flooded the U.S. Mint which enabled them and knew nothing about the procedure so they unsealed the sets which automatically made three of the five coins a common issue increasing the mintage numbers of them.You also have a number of naive and gullible people purchasing the unsealed sets thinking that tey are going to have a big investment.If the price of silver collapses then three of the coins will lose a large amount of value.The people that buy the unsealed sets will have the choice of keeping them intact in their raw state or getting three of them graded in the common state and the other two graded as 25th Anniversary special label but no the complete set.I will not pay these absurd prices when Moderns have a questionable future. I did have subscriptions for the Proof and Uncir A.S.E. and also the annual Silver Proof set. I have cancelled all three and will never buy another item from the U.S. Mint. The U.S. Mint put out that garbage on their website they had made a mistake and would do better as they were concerned about their regular customer. Nonsense. If they were concerned about their regular customer then they would have adjusted the sets to one for each person to nake sure that their regular customers were included which also would have put a dent in the speculators,It has ruined the series for me. What the U.S. Mint is saying is " We don't care about our regular customers but we want them to continue purchasing the common sets every year with the large mintage for the next five or ten years and maybe we can do better then"It would be nice if the serious collector would boycott the U.S. Mint on this series but I doubt it. They have to take whatever the U.S. Mint sends them or return it. Why not go to EBay anyway and pay a small premium for your choice?

Ahhh when will they learn. You are right Chab-it is about demand. There are millions and millions of bullion 2011's ( label be damned, we're talking coins). If you are asking which coins will be the most valued, it will be the ones that are highest in demand ( or to put it another way, where the demand is greater than the supply)

Most likely the S mintmarked coin and the reverse proof since there are only 100,000 of each minted.

EXAMPLE ONLY: If there are 200,000 ASE collectors--they can easily acquire the other three since total mintages are well above 200,000 ( just not with the labels saying they were part of the 5-coin set)...that leaves them still needing the final 2 coins for a complete collection of one of each type of the Anniversary Year coins. Those final 2 coins are gonna cost them because there would be 100,000 collectors out there also coveting those coins...simple supply and demand, see?

Well I don't know what to say, all I know is what I feel. I believe I have four complete sets of silver eagles. Two Proof sets and two Mint State sets, They are the best looking sets from the mint although I could make an argument for the Buffalo;s. The silver Eagles are affordable for the common collector, but that makes it tough to get the releases that have lower mintages.

Saying that the 2006 reverse proof will be lower in value is a stretch. Lets say the 2006 sold for 34.00 new. This is the price I got mine for. So it is only 10 times the value as compared to when it was released. Do you believe that the 2008 Gold buffalo will fluctuate with the spot price of gold? I don't.

I like the sets for collecting, and I grade them because I want the best one I can get. This is why I grade coins, no sour grapes here, I do wish that the mint had release more so everyone who wanted one could get one.

I wonder if people realize the 1995 10th anniversary eagle set never sold out, All I am doing is informing people that the bullion MS plain could be the rarest silver eagle of the set in a NGC MS70 25th anniversary label.

Individuals do not set the price for coins the market does, A scarce coin has historically increased in value, and the 2011 plain MS70 25th anniversary label may be the rarest, because the bullion usually has a population of only 8% in a perfect grade.

I do feel that because many novice collectors have ruined many of the coins from the 25th anniversary set and that buying an opened set anywhere is a waste of money. I would rather buy coins from APMEX. But that makes the Proof W, Mint state W, Mint State plain (no mint mark) even rarer.

But knowing this information can make an experienced collector very happy. They get a high grade rare coin for minimum costs. Keeping these factors in mind have given me some very rare coins at Th original US Mint prices. Even the 2008 Buffalo's TIt can work for others as well.

L. J. Ramos

I think the reverse proof will be worth the most, as some people just want that coin and none of the rest. I own a 2006 reverse proof coin and I bought it from ebay without any packaging just the coin in its plastic holder. I'm sure if I sent it in for grading it would come back as a PF68 or so and that is why it was sold as it was.

I currently have it in my intercept shield SAE book in the 2009 proof slot as they never made a 09 proof it fits that slot rather nicely.

I might just have to wait for another collector to retire or quit collecting and wait until they sell their coins. OH WELL. I'm rather young and have the time to wait it out.

In 2006, many of us thought, as now the Reverse Proof would top the chart. But who knew it would be the 2006-W Burnished coin from the 20th Anniversary Set, followed by the Reverse Proof, & then the Proof. This year, it's really going to be interesting. I put together a little chart of Today's Ebay prices on the coins(Don't beat me up if a price is a little off):

Year--Mint --------------------Initial Offer Pr. Avg. Market Value(Ebay)

Burnished --------------------(Raw)---MS/PF-69--MS/PF-70

2006 -W - Non-set ----------- $19.95--$ 75.00--$ 200.00

2006 -W - "20th Anniv Set" - $33.33--$125.00--$1,050.00

Proof

2006 -W - Non-set --- --- --- $24.00-- $ 80.00--$ 125.00

2006 -W -"20th Anniv Set -- $33.33-- $150.00-- $ 230.00

VS

2006 -P - Reverse Prf ASE -$33.33--$220.00-- $ 650.00

Pre-2011 Set ASE's

2011 (W) - Bullion --- --- --- $45.00 - $ 60.00 - $ 95.00

2011 W --- Burnished --- -- $50.95 - $ 70.00 - $100.00

2011 W --- Proof --- --- --- - $58.95 - $ 75.00 - $115.00

VS

25th Anniversary Set Issues --- --- Today 11-13-11

2011 5 Pc Set --- --- --- ----- $299.95 - $1,100 - $2,700

And from those that couldn't wait - Individual Coins

2011 (W) - Bullion-No MM --- $60.00 - $180 Raw

2011 W --- Burnished --- ----- $60.00 - $180 Raw

2011 W --- Proof --- --- ------- $60.00 - $180 Raw

2011 S ---- Bullion -- --- ------- $60.00 - $325-Raw

2011 P ---- Reverse Proof --- $60.00 - $495 Raw

Hopefully the price Hype should run its course, and stablize after a 3-4 months.

I agree with Broke Daddy, everyone wants the rare label or coin the only thing I will add is if anything some of his estimates may be low. I found a PCGS MS70 higher than the reverse proof. Would you believe it recently sold for $1526.00.

These fact only enforce the idea of getting one before people realize the potential, and if you have some of these sets, hold on to them. But never buy an opened set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-W-20th-Anniversary-FIRST-STRIKE-SILVER-Eagle-PCGS-MS70-/280763582217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ed04709#ht_2155wt_1396

I learned the hard way on the 20th anniversary set.

I had to open the box to see them as soon as they came in the mail.

My MS 06 W is now just part of the general population of 06 W eagles.

Fortunately, when I sent the Rev PF in, it came back a 70. From a monetary stand point I could have done better but a $100 investment for Approx. $700 in coins is not too bad.

From a collectors stand point...I blew it! I wish that MS 06 W had the 20th anniversary label. ( the added value would have been a nice bonus as well)

I was lucky enough to get through to the mint and get an order in for the 25th Ann. Set. They're already off to NGC (sealed box this time!)

All the coins will get the label.....hoping for some 70's

P.S.

I see all these opened sets selling for 2 1/2 - 3 times the original price on ebay. I imagine most of these buyers are going to feel 2 1/2 - 3 times the pain I did in 06.....Live and learn!

Reading the Nov 28 issue of CoinWorld(p18), the article covering the 25h sets and Grading Services said that PCGS is charging a seperate $18 per coin just for the "1st Strikes" notation on the labels. Really Nice of them!