• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What keeps some people from joining the registry?

24 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I would like to know what it is that keeps some people from joining the Certified Registry (CR). We've had much success and are continuing to see great growth in the number of sets registered. I'm sure you guys can see that now that we have the changed sets in the last 3 days screen.

But I'm wondering if there's any issue still outstanding that may be keeping some folks away. And I'm really talking about people who like the registry concept but haven't joined us, not people who just plain don't like the idea of scored sets.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could prompt anyone you know who doesn't normally read this board and doesn't participate in our CR, but DOES like the general idea of a registry, to respond to this.

Thanks,

Arch

PCGS saw a huge boost in sets when they announced the yearly awards and even when they ran a contest to be the 3000th set. Soon it will be the 4,000th set.

Perhaps a 1000 shares of NGC stock for the best set in each area? laugh.gif

I started participating and I have fell way behind. I use Heritage for my primary database because it takes all grading (at least the ones I buy beyond NGC and PCGS). However, it is not a "registry" per se. Then I use PCGS because I have more of them than anything else. But, they only allow PCGS. I like your system because you take PCGS in addition to NGC... however, having to keep rekeying the info into 3 different systems... ouch. If your system provided the capability to enter the other major players: PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, and PCI, then you would have something.

Another acceptable option is to provide the database capability described above, but still limit the registry calculation to just NGC and PCGS (though I still believe those listed above are the better grading options). If you provided this, you could become the preferred provider...

Rob Cloutier

rob@calimar.com

Arch,

One of the reasons my friends don't register their sets is because by doing so, they reveal that they're in the market for such and such coin.

I know that the system gives the registrant an attempt at anonymity, but that attempt is a weak one because anyone can view any registered set. Collectors and dealers who specialize in that market can easily figure out who owns that set, and thus which pieces that person is missing (or needs to upgrade). In my areas of specialization, I know most of the real players...

That kind of info can really kill your competitive edge when you're out there chasing after the rarities.

The CU system allows for listing unviewable sets, but then that also lessens the fun.

One of my buddies essentially uses these registry lists to spy on his competition, but that he'd consider listing his sets once he's gotten all the rarities.

BTW, I also like Rob's idea of allowing raw, ICG, ANACS, etc coins, perhaps with a 3-pt allocation...

EVP

Arch: From my own perspective, I can understand the daunting task of of trying to be competitive in the Registry. I felt that way when I first registered some of my sets across the street. In fact I pulled out of the PCGS Registry because they would not accept my large interest in NGC coins,which made me even less competitive on their Registry.

I had to learn to roll with it and not worry about my registry position with my sets. I have 10 sets on the Registry, I do not have the resources to be competitive on all 10 sets. It is sufficient for me that these sets are all in the Top-10.

I was fortunate to be one of the very first colllectors to post my sets on the NGC Registry. That alone, gave me an edge initially because I had no competetition. These points along with the reasons other's have described, makes it an uphill battle. I feel that this is by far the best registry (for me certainly). If people are concerned with dealer's access to their set, they can mask their sets.

I am sure that offering some small rewards would help, but I believe that the rate of growth, as a percentage of Registry sets will continue to accelerate. Also, maybe finding on-line venues to post awareness ads might help. You have only been around for 9 months, give it some time.

You have built a lot of trust with your present Registry members and the total market for your product has increased. Credibility in your grading is at an all time high. Exploit that. You also might consider some testimonial infomercials of your Registry Members. I am sure that you are aware of the fact that some collectors (?) buy the slab and not the coin. These folks are not collectors in the usual sense. I also suspect that many of these people go with Brand X just because someone suggested this to them. tongue.gif

Good question Arch, I have a couple of sets registered here, but it really isn't a big deal to me. I am only one coin away from finishing one set while the other is complete. Here my be some reasons for not having a lot of enthusiasm in the registry. (at least these are mine). Most of my coins are unslabbed and those that are slabbed are divided fairly equally between ANACS, PCGS and NGC. I buy the coins that appeal to me regardless of whose slab or what grade. I never registered a set at PCGS because I didn't like the feeling that I would have to pay to have the ANACS or NGC coins reslabbed. To me that meant that the registry concept was and is more of a ploy to convince collectors to buy their slabs or go through the expensive process of having them reslabbed. You know what it worked. I am just onery enough to resent that.

The second reason I never registered my sets there and still haven't is that much of what goes on over there in the registry forum is about grades, not coins. It's saddening to hear people say they will buy a certain coin in a certain grade, regardless of what it looks like. I have enough competion similar to that in the daily grind of work. In fact the discussions over there turned me off to the registry concept and I know that I am not the only serious collector that feels that way.

OK. The registry looks like a blast and when I slab some coins, I'm sure I'll register some sets. When the market is a little more mature and the cost of slabbing isn't so large a percentage of the value of late date coins registration will be more viable financially.

Arch,

I personally will not enter my coins in the registry because of the inability to do so totally anonymously. Call me paranoid, but I feel that with all the crazy people out there, I don't want to risk my safety or the safety of my family by making my coin collection public knowledge.

A very concerned/paranoid collector!

I already have three coins on there which I bought already slabbed, but I have a whole bunch of coins I'd like to have graded but it would cost a fortune.

Another thing I'd like to say, not about the registry but kind of related.

There should be a choice for what type of collecting you do when you join the collector's society. I'm sure people that only collect one thing would rather have $510 in free grading just for the company in which they collect that type. When people join they get the free grading for all 3 companies, but if they only collect the one thing the free grading for the other two companies just sit around untill they expire. So they're getting $510 in free grading but they don't use over half of it.

• Administrator

" inability to do so totally anonymously"

Well, that's not really true. You can make your public name whatever you want on the system, so there's no connection to you as a person. Or, to take an even more private step, you could actually register a free account using bogus info (except for your email) and register that way. Not that I'd encourage a ton of bogus accounts or anything, but it's possible if that's the only way you're comfortable. But, of course, do as you please. smile.gif

Arch

Well, that's not really true

Arch, that is 110% true. It is very easy to determine either who owns what OR that someone may want this simply by looking at the registered sets that are fully disclosed as to content.

When you get into a very competitive setting, it's easy for people to know of their competition. When your competition has a pop 2 coin, and you have the other, then you can slowly determine who owns the other set by a process of careful elimination.

This is even easier with pop 1 coins.

Or, look at things another way... The Cardinal Collection of Early Dollars is very prominent. One can easily look at what he has to know what he may want. If I have what he may want, I can easily get info to him that I have such a coin.

(I don't know the Cardinal guy personally, but it would take me only mere moments to get my message to him.)

EVP

At one time I had my Franklin set in the registry but dropped it out because of the weighting system that rewarded what I felt were the wrong things. I understand that has since been corrected and have considered on several occasions putting it back in the registry but then i remember what a hassle the interface was and how tedious it was to put anything in. Just not worth the effort.

Scott M

ps - If I select a post icon by accident how do you turn it off????

I have to agree with EVP. It is easy to figure out who owns many sets. I know I've sold coins to people and seen them entered into sets. I know know the name/address/set name of the person and what coins they have.

Arch,

Looks like that was cleaned up. It certainly looks a lot easier than it was in the past. I may just give it another try. I have to review how the scoring works these days.

Thanks,

Scott M

NGC Registry, although vastly improved on ease of performance, is still not totally user friendly.

I'd like a feature that allows me to add a coin to the REGISTRY (not a 'waiting list') and then you could confirm the insert (or, whatever it is you do to check the validity of the addition), and if there is a problem, drop the coin.

It's the one area PCGS does I appreciate. There has even been an occassion or two where I've seen a coin on eBay with a BIN. I do, pay instantly with Paypal (or Billpoint) and then enter it into the PCGS Registry. All within a couple of minutes.

The Registry system has at its core the certified grade of a coin. Any coin. Every coin. If you buy coins based strictly on eye appeal with little regard to the defined complete set or to the grade printed on the insert then you are less likely to register your collection. I have three Registry sets on this site, however, they are listed only because I appreciate the efforts NGC makes to tweak the system and the feedback that is given. My sets are based upon eye appeal and will never be complete or ranked extremely high so, if it were not simply to show support for NGC, I wouldn't register any sets.

The Registry system has at its core the certified grade of a coin. Any coin. Every coin. If you buy coins based strictly on eye appeal with little regard to the defined complete set or to the grade printed on the insert then you are less likely to register your collection. I have three Registry sets on this site, however, they are listed only because I appreciate the efforts NGC makes to tweak the system and the feedback that is given. My sets are based upon eye appeal and will never be complete or ranked extremely high so, if it were not simply to show support for NGC, I wouldn't register any sets.

Ditto to the sentiments expressed therein by Tom.

My Early Dollar set (with all of its rare varieties) probably falls short of the Top 10 if we had another JRCS survey today.

My Seated Dollar (MS) set is definately not #1 by a long shot. I can think of three sets that are undisputably better than mine.

My Trade Dollar (MS) set is obviously not #1. Behind Legend is clustered a few of us. Blowing us away, but still 2nd to Legend, is an awesome unregistered set.

I enjoy the friendly competition, but I already know where I stand and can offer friendly competition off-line. I don't need the Registry. I am only registered because I wish to show support for what NGC is trying to do, and that thus far it has been a pleasant experience.

Linda's Daddy

I would say that one advantage of having sets listed in the Registry is, in the event of a theft of your collection you have a current listing of your holdings by slab number (with pictures) to prove ownership of your coins. I bet no one thought of that one.

There appears to be a lot of concern about position in the registry. I have ten sets on the registry. Not one of them is number one and none of my sets are really high dollar sets. My sets range from number two to number nine in their respective registries. The registry gives me structure and some organizational discipline on how I collect and in what sequence I collect. No one will bother me about my sets and what I am going to buy next. It just isn't worth their time.

Every day there are new sets that are posted. Some are new collectors who post one or two coins. Some are advanced collectors who have complete or nearly complete sets to post. It is cool to watch their progress as they move upward with their sets. I don't care what they collect or how they collect. Just the fact that new people are becoming coin collector's is nice. It wasn't that long ago that the hobby was stagnant with very few new collectors. tongue.gif

Are you sure that the data on your Franklin Set is not in the Registry. Mine was and I had pulled my Franklin Set because I did not feel it was competitive at the time and I did not have time for it. I went back and entered a new Franklin Set and lo-and-behold, all the coins of my old set were still there. I went to "Add/Manage Sets" and there it was!

You may want to check it out. It will save you all that time. tongue.gif

The Registry "concept" just doesn't appeal to me. I put much more emphasis on the eye appeal of the coins in my collection, and better yet, how the eye appeal pleases me, as opposed to anyone else. I have quite a few coins that grade ms/63 and 4, that are hardly "registry material", but have that "look" of a much better piece. Modern material seems to be the base for most of the registry stuff, and I don't collect that stuff at all. I tried a while back, but became very bored, very quickly with that material. Just not for me. smile.gif

Arch:

NGC is the reason.Everyone is aware that there are more collectors now then ever before.Not everyone has been collecting for decades.You have to start somewhere.Year sets (proof and or mint sets) could be the answer.Hopefully everyones aware that even a five or six coin set of Registry Quality(high end)coins is hard to put together plus expensive.I look up to those who have the mega sets that I can only dream of having,but please don't cut the little guy out. confused.gif