• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Anniversary Set Priced at $299.95

111 posts in this topic

Personally, I want the Mint to stand fast on the 100,000 Mintage and not dilute the shares to 250,000. Currently the ASE 25th Anniversary set has established massive support at 300.00 with resistance currently at 510.00 - 600.00 in the secondary market. As a study of coin market dynamics, I want to observe the price fluctuation, perhaps growth, this popular coin/set has earned. By earned, I mean popularity, collectability and affordabilty. Full disclosure, I have 4 sets coming and fully plan to reduce my share price selling a hot market, enjoyingly :acclaim: keeping a couple sets long long term. Opportunistically..hmmm "optimistically" speaking, of course.

IMHO - Keep the Uncirculated San Fran, and the reverse proof unique to the set.

It's really nice for the mint to produce "relatively" low mintage coins and create a coin-stir in the market. (thumbs u

Perhaps, a better distribution could be derived by US Mint members of "long standing" getting purchase priority, scaled to years of membership, then an open purchase opportunity to flippers. I have been a mint member for 25 years, and that probably puts me in the "sold out" category. BUT.....

Say, five sets premium for longtimers, 4 set to mid-level members, 3 set to decade members, on down to 1 set?

Thoughts?

OP

About the mintage I agree 100%. I hopefully :wishluck: have 3 sets coming as well that I plan on selling 2 of to offset the cost and keep the other.

I don't know about how the mint could better distribute them. I imagine if they went to that process just about most dealers have long standing accounts already, now they would just have make sure and sign up their freinds, family, dogs, cats, etc...to make sure to get the most benefit... lol

I only bought one set and it's for my personal collection. I actually hope the mint stays to the 100k limit. This will make this set a nice long term collectors set. Now those that used the internet know that the pages were lost many times and if you got the "add to cart" button to work, there may be alot of people finding out that they ordered more than they wanted or could afford. I can see there being sets from this issue going to those on the waiting list.

Ok, so looks like I missed the sale of the year :P .

I still don't get why I didn't took a day off. Mint was paying good today... :insane:

Buy: $299 X 5 = $1495 + shipping;

Flip: $400-$500 on bay X 5 = $2000 - $2500 + shipping;

Fast $500-$1000 for picking the nose whole day, and clicking refresh on Mint website.. :makepoint:

I don't know or I'm stupid for not being interested in silver bullion "collectors" coins from Mint, paying 2x of the silver spot for rare future key dates, or I just like good old coins like this:

If you only think of coins as a profit, I don't call it collecting. This set is actually a nice "Collectors Set".

Good to know I'm not alone:

APMEX is offering $425 a set now so the fireworks are just beginning. Fasten your seat belts. It may be time for a prediction thread on the price at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas. Whattaya think? :)

It's true, but at this price I don't want one of these sets. But they're almost a guaranteed home run. I can't turn that down. I've got tuition to pay for....

It only took me about 15 min to get through an order for 5 at 12:05. My folks picked up 5 more for me by 1pm. I guess I got lucky. (shrug)

Depending on the grades, we plan on selling enough to recoup the outlay, then split whatever coins are left.

I would say that 75% of the people who ordered the sets saw it as only a profit motive.

Actually I never bought a coin for investment purposes. I bought some, I sold some, I lost money on coins - not a big deal.

The idea of my initial post was, to show how people are thinking about "Collector coins". Like CHABSENTIA said, 75% of the people are looking at them just as a profit, nothing to deal with collecting. Mint have a power to make rules and people are opening their wallets to play their game.

Sad, that some real collectors was not able to buy them directly from mint, so now they will have to pay someone else to have one of these sets.

P.s. Quoted persons, please don't get offended by quoting you. I'm just expressing my opinion.

Thank you

had only 1 step to go at 12;15 est,got kicked out numerous times.had credit card number in.finally got confirmation in e-mail at 3;56 est.wonder if i made it.the worst time EVER with the mint.and for people who got their 5 sets congrats,i only got 1 for my collection.the mint in mho,is they had to have known this was going to happen with the ordering methods.phone or on line.i hope everyone that tried for hours got their set,or sets.the key word is LIMIT.four hours of trying is way to much for anything ha ha i could have built a house in that time.(joke)good luck to all who ordered. rick

I believe these sets will be selling for $1000 on the secondary market soon. Being the 2006 reverse proof sells for around $200 in grade 69 and with 250,000 in existence. The two coins in the 2011 set limited to 100,000 will probably go for $400 each. Just my thought. I think anyone with the extra cash that can find one on the secondary market for $500 right now could make some nice extra cash in a month.

ship date moved to 11/12/11 now...just makes me nervous about if I will be getting anything at all.

I know they won't be shipping on 11/11/11 since it is a national holiday and the USPS won't be open, but don't like to see the date move to right.

I think the ship date will move back even further. I got in via phone before I could get my order in via the laptop. The lady who took my order stated these will not ship for "at least 30 days from today" (10-27-11). That makes the date late November and it could be even later. I am not sure why they are using an early Nov. date on order specifications. Time will tell.

I think the ship date will move back even further. I got in via phone before I could get my order in via the laptop. The lady who took my order stated these will not ship for "at least 30 days from today" (10-27-11). That makes the date late November and it could be even later. I am not sure why they are using an early Nov. date on order specifications. Time will tell.

Here is one for you. I logged on to the US. Mint Website and on to the 25th Anniversary. There was no opportunity to order one,however, in the upper right corner there was a box titled ' " checkout" and an order for one set. Apparently my order had not completed and had stay there after I have up waiting at 4 pm and it had taken 30 minutes

Decided to see if I could finish it. It went through and I got a confirmation number, Logged off and checked my Email and I had a confirmation number with an order date of October 29 and a shipping date of November 13th. I noticed that the Website on the 27th gave a shipping date of November 10th and then contradicted itself later when they claimed late November.

My order number has to be the very last one as they weren't accepting any orders. I see a fee reasons for the November 10th and 13th and dates in between them

1. The ones that were able to get their orders in before the maximum sold out received a shipping confirmation of November 10th or even the 11th.

2. The shipping dates mean nothing and they will be shipped in late November as originally stated and the dates from November 12th and beyond with the confirmation number are a means of determining your place on the waiting list.

3. The U.S. Mint also stated that they will do a review and it evaluate the Sale and adjust it or extend the offering. It might be that the U.S. Mint had already decided to make any adjustments and reduce the orders of others to make sure everybody got at least one set.

I am not holding my breath. If I get it then I will pay for it. I already have the Uncirc W Mint Mark. I also have the proof as well as a 2011 that has no San Francisco Mint Mark but the PCGS label that

designates it as San Francisco. Not too sure that the one in the set with an actual San Francisco Mint mark makes a real difference. So the only one in question is the reverse proof.

What this means is that it means nothing for anybody that got a confirmation number and an shipping date after the set was marked sold out.Only time will tell.

I bought the 2006 Set from the Mint for $100. I sent it the Reverse Proof about 18 months later and got a 70. The price of the 70 is down about 25% from it s peak. I have seen the raw set for less than $300.

The experts claim that they will be immediately offered for $600 and some up to $900. There are people who bought 5 sets that have no Interest in Coin Collecting and also had their family buy 5 for the profit potential. I received E mails from Dealers who said they would pay a very high price for a set. So the price for a collector that wasn't able to purchase one will at first be as high as they can gouge you.,

I logged on to the site at 4 PM today. It is not possible to order any more. I still had an order in "check out" as apparently it was still waiting. I gave up after it had stalled for 30 minutes. I decided to try and put it though anyway.

It went through and I checked my Email and had a confirmation number with an order date of October 29th and a Shipping date of November 13th., If I was able to get a confirmation number and a shipping date of November 13th on October 29th then it means absolutely nothing unless the Mint has already decided to make adjustments to the orders as is their right to make sure everybody gets at least one set. That would be the greatest.

The Mint could better distribute them by limiting each person to one set.It could also be limited to one set at one address so anybody at the same address was out of luck.

I was able to complete my order at 4PM today. as it was still sitting in check out. I got an E mail confirmation number wit an order date of October 29th and a shipping date of November 13th.

The Mint has a declaimer that they will do a Review on the Sale and evaluate it and then either adjust it or extend the offering. Perhaps E Bay is aware that there will be an adjustment and that all the Sets advertised will not be available. I agree that the number of 100K will most likely not be increased. The person you talked to is not one that makes the decision.

I think that it will be pretty bad PR for the Mint if they do not adjust the orders to make sure that the Collector is not cut out of it because of Greedy profiteers who have no interest in collecting.The best thing that could happen is that they lose four of their five sets

Shoot. I wish I'd bought a couple. :(

You can still join in on the complaining.

The complaining here is as annoying as those that have been gloating ATS. MJ

The system the Mint used was flawed from the start. Is anyone surprised it did not go smoothly? Yet it is what it was. Not all playing fields are necessarily even. It was their rules and everyone know them going in fair or not. If you didn't know the rules shame on you. The game was played and they were winners and losers just like it any contest whether right or wrong. Going back and changing the score because the rules were flawed after the game has been played don't seem some like fair play either. Actually changing the rules and outcome after the game has been played would be the worst thing the Mint or any entity could do. However, at the end of the day it is their ball and field and they will do what they wish.

I do feel for those that didn't get their set or sets just like I do for those that don't get their kid the hot "must have" toy of the season on Black Friday and have to pay in the secondary market to acquire it. No one forces parents to do so just like no one is forcing collectors to pay up either to the "flippers" or "dealers on these ASE's. Just don't buy them. Problem solved. Not everybody gets in all of the time and the world is far from perfect. There is far to much entitlement in in today's world for my taste. Furthermore, this whole 25th Anniversary experience is making me feel quite ill.

JMHO. MJ

You know I remember 10 years ago or so, the sellout of the Buffalo dollars, and that was before the internet was a big deal and most people had to phone or mail (that's USPS mail with a stamp!) their orders in! Despite the flaws, the mint has come a long way since then!

Then the U.S. Mint needs to stop claiming in ads and sending out circulars etc that they are for the serious collector and an equal distribution etc. I prefer the Morgan Dollars but I have each year of the A.S.E in Proof and Uncirculated as well as the 2006 Anniversary to keep it complete.

I would say that about 75% of the Sales were just pure Greed. A serious collector does not need five sets. There were dealers trying to ensure a high price by sending out E mails that they would pay a very high price for a set. I consider this manipulation. There were people that would have just bought one set but bought 4 to defray the costs and make a profit. There were people who weren't collectors and had never collected a coin in their life that bought merely to make a profit and possibly deopriving a serious collector because of it.

Meanwhile the U.S,Mint wants the collector to purchase the other junk that is minted in the millions and hundreds of millions. There are still annual A.S.E sets that haven't been sold on the website .

I already have three of the coins of the five. I don't have the 4th which is the one with the S.F. mint mark but I do have the one with the label by PCGS that it was minted in S.F I would have liked to have

the whole set as they will have special labels ,however, I can always buy the Reverse Proof which is the only one I lack at a later date

I suspect that the U.S. Mint will make adjustments so that everybody that got an order in will get one. It will serve those that ordered four more or five more than needed right.

What happens to these people then who thought they would be getting five and get only one?Is this why E Bay has pulled its offers or maybe they just don't want to participate in the Scam.

Is there a contract when somebody promises ten because they and their father each thought they were getting five and sold ten and then they only get two?.

I got this info from a coin message site:

This is what eBay sends to pre-sellers:

We’re pleased to have you as part of the eBay Community. However, the following listing(s) were removed and all fees have been credited to your account:

330633179556 – 2011 AMERICAN EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET SEALED!!!

Because the 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET is in such high demand, requirements have been put in place for 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET sales. It has been reported that the MINT sold out of these within 5 hours. We understand that some sellers on eBay could have potentially placed their order in time, however we request that these coins are not listed unless they are in the physical possession of the seller. The strict requirement of not listing the item until you have it in your possession also applies to sellers with confirmed orders. Please wait until the Anniversary set is in your physical possession before listing it for sale.

We also suggest the following:

- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment.

We understand that you may not have known about these requirements. However, please note that future violations may result in a range of actions, including listing cancellation, limits on account privileges, account suspension, forfeiture of eBay fees on canceled listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team

Also for those with hope in their hearts another post on wait list:

I am so bored, so I did some number-crunching. The total order sequence for this ASE set ranges from 38414XXX to 383247XX, a difference of 89,300 orders. This assumes that every order that was placed in this time period was for one and only one ASE set. Assuming that orders over the household limit of five sets would be cancelled, we can safely say that these 89,300 orders represent about 50,000 individual customers who wanted at least one set. Obviously, many orders would wind up on the waiting list (maybe 20,000 or 30,000). So if there ever was a time when the mint would change a household limit after a sellout, it could be now. The waiting list was instituted at about 38379999 and 3838000 (numbers from Friday afternoon after numerous orders had already been cancelled). This leaves about 34,000 orders on the waiting list, or about 25% of the ASE set mintage,

And another on the same subject:

I am not sure I follow your reasoning but I think what you say makes sense. One order (and one order number) was issued for from one to five sets. That means that if every order had been for five sets, only 20,000 orders would use up all of the sets. That clearly did not happen. If every order had been for only one set, it would have taken 100,000 orders to sell out. That clearly did not happen either. It is probably safe to assume that few if any orders that did not contain at least one set were placed before the website returned to normal operation Thursday evening. In the weeks before Thursday, an average just over 3000 orders were taken per day so we can pretty much ignore them in calculations. The first set orders appear to have started very close to 38,324,000. My last order at 2:10ET was roughly 26,000 above the start. If that pace continued and the sellout occurred at 4:30 then just over 50,000 orders were taken, an average just under two sets per order. That would put the waiting list at about 38,374,000 which fits with your number very well. I am not sure if the mint has ever released any information about how many orders they normally take onto waiting lists and surely many of the waiting list orders are for more than one set, just like earlier ones. My guess is that roughly one in ten orders are either invalid or will fail at CC time which translates to around 5000 orders. If the average sets per order was fairly constant then the first 5000 waiting list orders will get the chance to fail the CC test and a small percentage will do just that so I would be surprised if the mint leaves 34.000 orders on the waiting list. They will certainly leave enough to cover all of the sets using their knowledge of past events and a generous fudge factor but they will probably cancel the rest once they have an idea of the percentage of invalid orders placed in the early going.

Happy Collecting,

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg