• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Anniversary Set Priced at $299.95

111 posts in this topic

Ok, so looks like I missed the sale of the year :P .

I still don't get why I didn't took a day off. Mint was paying good today... :insane:

Buy: $299 X 5 = $1495 + shipping;

Flip: $400-$500 on bay X 5 = $2000 - $2500 + shipping;

Fast $500-$1000 for picking the nose whole day, and clicking refresh on Mint website.. :makepoint:

I don't know or I'm stupid for not being interested in silver bullion "collectors" coins from Mint, paying 2x of the silver spot for rare future key dates, or I just like good old coins like this:

If you only think of coins as a profit, I don't call it collecting. This set is actually a nice "Collectors Set".

After 2 hours, finally got my 2 sets ordered, after hitting refresh trying to check out (every step seemed to get me to a blank IE page), finally got in the shipping address, then the credit card number, then...you've been automatically logged out for 30 minutes of inactivity!!!

lol, well I think I ordered 2 sets, but who knows?

Oh and I tweeted a complaint to the mint and they actually responded!

I may be mistaken but believe the sets were sold out at 4:34 today. Any orders after that time will show a shipping date of 11/11/11 and orders prior to that time will show a shipping date of 11/10/11. I wish you all the luck in the world. My buddy was on the website for 2 1/2 hours before getting through at 3:15. My daughters order at 6:22 shows an 11/11/11 shipping date while mine a 12;58 show 11/10/11. APMEX is offering $425 a set now so the fireworks are just beginning. Fasten your seat belts. It may be time for a prediction thread on the price at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas. Whattaya think? :)

Well, my e-mail confirmation from the mint came at 3:01 ET, but that message does say backordered 11/11/11, so I guess we'll wait and see.

For those who are wondering about their orders a few answers. One if you got in before the sell out then you have your coins. If you order via the web and there was no wait list you might have be getting on the wait lies. The Min sells over the allowed mintage for returns, wrong CC info and over the limit orders. So even though there is a sell out unless you see wait list you are fine.

I gave up trying to order and around 5;54PM EST I got my set order. When I check my order online it states on hold. When I check my accounts it states on hold. Now two things could happen. I could have made it in because my cart was full before the sellout but my order took 3 hours to be filled or I am on a wait list.

What is meant by the US Mint backorder and on hold process?

For those like myself that are worried that their order will be cancelled because of the process of being on hold or backorder please read the following post off of the minnewsblog.

The Mint uses the word “backorder” in a different way that most people are familiar with.

Most companies are sellers, not manufacturers, so when an item is on “backorder,” that means that they have run out of that item, and need to order more from the manufacturer. That may take days or weeks or even months, so the company is telling the customer that he has to wait until the product comes in.

The Mint is both manufacturer and seller, so when they say “backorder,” they mean that the order is backed up until the coins are minted, assembled, and then shipped to the fulfillment center for mailing.

The Mint uses “hold” to mean that they need time to verify that the order is legitimate (in this case, not more than 5 sets per household) and that the customer’s credit card has sufficient funds. “In process” means that verification has been done, and now all it takes is for the Mint to see if there are enough sets ready for mailing.

“In stock and reserved” means that the coins have been assembled into sets and ready to be shipped to the fulfillment center, and that all verifications have been made. At this point, the Mint has ACCEPTED the order — prior to this, the Mint has only RECEIVED the order. Once the set is labeled for mailing, then you will receive a “Shipped” notice and tracking number (though the actual mailing date may be the next day).

“Suspended” is something new to me. I suppose that is used when a later order is made after the household limit has been reached. I have never seen a “Waiting List” message on the online order receipt or email confirmation, but then, I have never been put on a waiting list.

To sum up, once you see “In process” and/or “In stock and reserved,” you can safely assume that you will get your coins. “Hold” and “Backorder” are used routinely and does not mean that you will not get your coins.

I still don't get why I didn't took a day off. Mint was paying good today... :insane:

Fast $500-$1000 for picking the nose whole day, and clicking refresh on Mint website.. :makepoint:

I don't know or I'm stupid for not being interested in silver bullion "collectors" coins from Mint, paying 2x of the silver spot for rare future key dates, or I just like good old coins like this:

I like old rare coins and moderns too. It is nice to mix a little profit with a truely desirable and beautiful series collection. (one of the most broadly collected, i might add)

I don't think of all five coins as bullion.

OP

If you only think of coins as a profit, I don't call it collecting. This set is actually a nice "Collectors Set".

It's true, but at this price I don't want one of these sets. But they're almost a guaranteed home run. I can't turn that down. I've got tuition to pay for....

It only took me about 15 min to get through an order for 5 at 12:05. My folks picked up 5 more for me by 1pm. I guess I got lucky. (shrug)

The Mint made a serious mistake in not initially limiting the orders to one set per household. You could have ordered five sets at 12:01 but that doesn't mean that you will get five sets. Read the Mint's Order Acceptance Terms:

* The United States Mint reserves the right to limit quantities and may discontinue accepting orders at any time.

* The United States Mint reserves the right to accept or reject coin orders in any combination or option(s) it determines to be in its best interest.

* In the event a particular coin option is sold out, the United States Mint reserves the right to either process partial orders and make refunds, or return orders in their entirety.

The Mint has the legal flexibility and moral responsibility to assure equitable distributions of the sets. If they don't exercise that right they will be put into the position to explain why major coin dealers have hundreds of sets selling at huge markups but Joe and Jane citizen couldn't manage to secure even one set from the Mint after trying all day to order via the Mint’s Byzantine ordering system.

The Mint doesn't need this kind of attention from Congress. I will make a bold prediction that the Mint will invoke limitations on how many orders they fulfill in order to try to secure a more equitable distribution of the sets. It seems to me to be both the right and the politically expedient thing to do. We will see.

That is standard general language for most mint products and it does not really mean they might consider lowering anyone's order of these 25th anniversary ASEs who got 5 sets before the sell out. The purpose of the language is to prevent against the possibility of a greedy hedge fund operator using his obscene bonus to suddenly buy the entire issue of a particular coin when there are no ordering limits.

However, I agree with you that an ordering limit of one set would have resulted in a much fairer dispersal of the sets, and should have been the rule. Many people who work for a living were unable to order between 12 noon and 5 PM eastern time, especially since the lines and website were terribly jammed.

They won't change the rules for the sets now that the game is over. What they still might do in response to the avalanche of complaints they'll receive is to make available additional mintings of the two coins unique to the set, the 2011 reverse proof and burnished S.

The Mint made a serious mistake in not initially limiting the orders to one set per household. You could have ordered five sets at 12:01 but that doesn't mean that you will get five sets. Read the Mint's Order Acceptance Terms:

* The United States Mint reserves the right to limit quantities and may discontinue accepting orders at any time.

* The United States Mint reserves the right to accept or reject coin orders in any combination or option(s) it determines to be in its best interest.

* In the event a particular coin option is sold out, the United States Mint reserves the right to either process partial orders and make refunds, or return orders in their entirety.

The Mint has the legal flexibility and moral responsibility to assure equitable distributions of the sets. If they don't exercise that right they will be put into the position to explain why major coin dealers have hundreds of sets selling at huge markups but Joe and Jane citizen couldn't manage to secure even one set from the Mint after trying all day to order via the Mint’s Byzantine ordering system.

The Mint doesn't need this kind of attention from Congress. I will make a bold prediction that the Mint will invoke limitations on how many orders they fulfill in order to try to secure a more equitable distribution of the sets. It seems to me to be both the right and the politically expedient thing to do. We will see.

It would be wise to log into your mint account and click on "Track Order." In the confusion of not being able to get trough to the mint's server a lot of buyer's accidentally made double and even triple purchases, exceeding the 5 set limit. If that is the case with your purchase, immediately "cancel" (cancel block) those purchases that exceed the limit. If the mint catches it, and they will, they will cancel all of your purchases for the set.

It also doesn't hurt to periodically check the status of your order via "Track Order." I once has a large purchase of 2008 W gold buffalos disappear from my account while awating processing. Fortunately I had printed out a copy of the purchase order and mint customer service was able to verify and restore the pending purchase.

Standard stuff on the backorder/ship date. If you got an order in and an email confirm before 4.30 you will get your sets.

Go by the time of purchase on your "Track Order" page, emails from mint have been known to be sent out up to 30 minutes after the purchase.

Standard stuff on the backorder/ship date. If you got an order in and an email confirm before 4.30 you will get your sets.

Go by the time of purchase on your "Track Order" page, emails from mint have been known to be sent out up to 30 minutes after the purchase.

I got my email about 1 minute after my order went through online. That was 1:30. No clue after that though if it bogged down. I'd assume emails for phone orders would be the laggers though.

Well friends, it's been 15 years of collecting and I'm finally going to play the modern game. I bought 10 between my dad, son and I. The plan is to send them in for Early Release grading.

Depending on the grades, we plan on selling enough to recoup the outlay, then split whatever coins are left.

I must confess, I'm a little nervous playing this new game!

There are already 5 retracted bids on that auction. People seem to think initially that its for 5 sets. Probably because they search for "5" and he has "5" in the auction title.

It seems like Ebay pulled all pre-sale auctions for this particular product.

Good or bad?

neither good nor bad as much as silly.

But, the sets, when they become available will probably already have a Dealer to Dealer price associated with them since they are obviously openly trading between them.

I imagine that this will be bad for eBay only since they'll simply miss out on the associated fee's for the presales.

You are half right. If you read on past the part where they say that your order might not be filled as they have reached the maximum number of sets they go on to say that " the U.S. Mint will do an evaluation of the promotion and it is possible that the orders will be adjusted or extended". In other words some or all of the people that ordered more than one set could see them reduced or the number can be extended beyond the 100,000 limit.

I am fairly sure that at least one of the above will happen due the sellout in less than four hours.I received several E mails form dealers that they will pay a very high price for a set. I have seen a few articles that there were dealers who ordered five sets and got friends to order five sets as well as sending E mails to strangers that they will pay a very high price for a set. I am sure that there are people that bought one set for themselves and four sets to pay for the one set and make a profit.

I know of several people who have complained to the U.S. Mint and suggested that the number of sets be increased and that everybody can order only one set. I would like to see it happen as there are suggestions that these sets by dealers will go for at least double and possibly triple at first and then over time decrease in price as did the 2006 Anniversary. A double to 200k will nip some of this in the bud.

I gave up and did a search on Morgans. I picked up a $725 one for $575.. That $150.00 under retail is half of the $300 price of the American Eagle site and is a better investment.

Thanks Jim, I got the e-mail confirmation with an order number so :wishluck: that I am good. Still haven't had any luck getting through on the website but I will check again later. I must have been a buzzer beater...

My understanding is that you will get a confirmation number even if it is Back Ordered but the Back ordered means that you go on a waiting list and if there is a cancellation that you may be able to get the order. or there will be a refund issued in case of a check and they just won't charge your credit card. I assume that you have to be given an order number or how would the U.S. Mint be able to determine your time because in event of a cancellation then your order is filled on a first come basis.

If you are not back ordered then you have a shipping date of November 10th. If you don;t have a shipping date then you are back ordered and your order is tagged as a back order.

I would not count on any cancellations. There were dealers who ordered the maximum five sets under their name and got friends and relatives to order five sets for them. The dealers also sent Emails to customers that they would pay a very high price for a set. The belief among many is that they will appear almost immediately at $600 and possibly even more.

If you read further down on the U.S. Mint Website you will see a paragraph that the U.S. Mint will evaluate the Sale and could adjust the number of sets or extend the number of the offering from 100K . In other words people who ordered 5 sets may see that number cut and they may also double it from 100K to 200K or more.

I think that they should have another offering of 100K and limit sales to one per person. That would not only depress the price almost immediately on the open market but would free up the website. I would not be surprised if 75% of the people that ordered the sets were not for personal collections. I know of several people who have complained to the U.S. Mint for a situation that allowed greedy people to profit from it. We shall see.

I have seen the article. You need to read down a little further on the U.S. Mint website. They state that they will evaluate the sale and will possibly adjust it or extend the offering. The best thing that can happen here is that the offering is extended to 250K and people are limited to one per person.

I know of several people that have filed complaints on this travesty of a sale and suggested it.

When I checked at 4 PM there was the message that the maximum limit had been reached and that people would be put on a waiting list. So if you got in at 6PM then you went on a waiting list. You were given an order number to determine how early so that the U.S. Mint could determine how to fill orders on a first come basis in case of a cancellation.

I would not count on a cancellation by anybody as dealers ordered 5 sets in their own name and got family and friends to order 5 sets even if they had no interest in them.They also sent letters to customers that they would pay a very high price for them if they could obtain set./s.

If check out the U.S. Mint website then you will see where the U.S. Mint states that they will evaluate the Sale and may adjust the offering or extend it. In other words people that ordered more than one set may not get them all. As for extending it I would hope that the offering is extended to 250K as was the 2006 Anniversary offering.

I would be very careful about it. If you read further down under the offering from where it stats that they have reached the maximum number of sets it also states that the U.S. Mint will evaluate the Sale and could adjust or extend the offering.

In other words , people that had a successful order of five may find it reduced to one or two and the maximum limit of 100K could be increased. There are many people unhappy about the fact that dealers and profiteers manipulated it and have complained to the Mint.

I would say that 75% of the people who ordered the sets saw it as only a profit motive. The U.S. Mint has stated on its Website that they will review the sale and evaluate it and may adjust the sale or extend the offering ,In other words, people may be adjusted to one set and/or the offering could be extended to 250K as the 2006 Anniversary offering.

If you are a collector and are upset about the dealers and profiteers that manipulated this sale then call or write the U,S Mint. Their contact information is on the Website. Their phone number is

1-800-USA-MINT.

They also wrote that they will review the sale and evaluate it and may adjust and/or extend the offering. In other words. people might not get all five sets and the offering could be extended to 250 K as was the 2006 offering.

All collectors need to call the U.S. Mint at 1-800- USA-MINT and complain about this manipulation by dealers and strictly profiteers. Also write them at the address on the U.S.Mint website under contacts.

With enough complaints and suggestions such as extending the offering to 250K and a limit of one per household the it might happen and put a kink in their plans.

Want To File A Complaint Pertaining To The ASE 25th Order Process Directly to The US Mint? And If you want to know if you order is on the wait list and the number to file a complaint read below.

For those who do not know if their orders are on a wait list or not here is the answer. If you order was taken after 5pm then you are on the wait list. I just confirmed this with a order taker at the US Mint web site. She also told me that people have been calling in mad that their order(s) have been cancelled. It will take sometime for the Mint to catch up with the orders. It is safe to say if you ordered before 4:40 PM EST then you are okay. Now I asked her if the Mint will increase the limit because of the trouble people had getting in and the answer was that is the rumor going around. But her experience is that when the Mint set a limit it is set.

So keep your fingers cross. Oh yes for those flippers on Ebay a lot of them have been taken down by Ebay only to be replaced by others.

If you are mad about the ASE troubles here is a the direct number to the US Mint Catalog Coin complaint department 202-354-6675.

And here is the direct number to the US Mint. United States Mint telephone hours: Weekdays 9:00am to 5:30pm EST, except holidays.

Telephone: (202) 756-6468

Fax: (202) 756-6200

Oh yes how can one order one now on the wait list as it is sold out but the Mint states you can still order. See screen capture below:

mint.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Personally, I want the Mint to stand fast on the 100,000 Mintage and not dilute the shares to 250,000. Currently the ASE 25th Anniversary set has established massive support at 300.00 with resistance currently at 510.00 - 600.00 in the secondary market. As a study of coin market dynamics, I want to observe the price fluctuation, perhaps growth, this popular coin/set has earned. By earned, I mean popularity, collectability and affordabilty. Full disclosure, I have 4 sets coming and fully plan to reduce my share price selling a hot market, enjoyingly :acclaim: keeping a couple sets long long term. Opportunistically..hmmm "optimistically" speaking, of course.

IMHO - Keep the Uncirculated San Fran, and the reverse proof unique to the set.

It's really nice for the mint to produce "relatively" low mintage coins and create a coin-stir in the market. (thumbs u

Perhaps, a better distribution could be derived by US Mint members of "long standing" getting purchase priority, scaled to years of membership, then an open purchase opportunity to flippers. I have been a mint member for 25 years, and that probably puts me in the "sold out" category. BUT.....

Say, five sets premium for longtimers, 4 set to mid-level members, 3 set to decade members, on down to 1 set?

Thoughts?

OP