• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln memorial question posted by sky coins

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

date stamped lincoln.. test coin ?

Help !!! I came across a very interesting penny yesterday.While I was searching thru a large pile of loose change, I noticed a lincoln memorial that stood out as gem unc w/ more of a yellowish copper colored appearance and maybe proof like. I put the coin aside to card it off today. When I carded this coin today,and looked at it under magnification,I noticed the coin was date stamped 12-31-74 above the coins 1975 date. So, if anyone has any info about this coin ,please answer my post.I would greatly appreciate any knowledge about my penny!! Happy collecting and keep checking ur change, SKYCOINS

See more journals by sky coins

Wow that sounds interesting, I hope someone provides insight on the extra stamped date. As for the color, could it be a coin that has been improperly laminated with a brass alloy rather than the normal alloy they use?

Here is information about them.

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Brass.htm

cheers,

Malcolm

Oh Shoot, what was I thinking, they didn't start plating until 1982. I guess it could still be planchet that has too much zinc in the mix making it more brass looking but who knows. My Head Is Spinning!!

You can find an answer to your question here.

In brief, it is post-mint damage.

-Brandon

I think Sky Coins understands the date was stamped after minting, he may be looking for some significance like a special event where the coins were distributed or some other reason for the added date. This would be an example although more elaborate.

116208.jpg.d22890a3267457983c109f9b9d5a5af7.jpg

You can find an answer to your question here.

In brief, it is post-mint damage.

-Brandon

I think Sky Coins understands the date was stamped after minting, he may be looking for some significance like a special event where the coins were distributed or some other reason for the added date. This would be an example although more elaborate.

If you read the thread I linked to, the significance of that date is that as of 12/31/1974 it was again legal to privately own gold. Thus, someone thought it was cool to gold plate a bunch of Lincoln cents, counter-stamp them with the date 12-31-1974, and release them into circulation. This got people's attention and made them ask questions about "why does this cent look funny". Again, if you read the link to the cointalk.com thread these details will be laid out for you.

-Brandon

great journal post - it initiaited fresh conversation on an unusual topic.

As an addictive roll-searcher, I come across gold-plated coinage from time to time - mostly dimes. I'll find gold plated coins in circulation slightly more often than junk proofs ... not quite as frequent as blank planchets!

If you read the thread I linked to, the significance of that date is that as of 12/31/1974 it was again legal to privately own gold. Thus, someone thought it was cool to gold plate a bunch of Lincoln cents, counter-stamp them with the date 12-31-1974, and release them into circulation. This got people's attention and made them ask questions about "why does this cent look funny".

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon, a nice bit of detective work on your part.

Cheers,

Malcolm