• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? 1967 SMS CAM ?

Designation?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Designation?

14 posts in this topic

This coin is said to have a "possibility" of being a CAM or DCAM. The coin doesn't look like any CAM to me due to the fields and eagle on the reverse. Another "it could be" coin that usually results in a reject. Thoughts?

At best, this coin is a cameo. And, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't cameo or star. The graders are quite tough on these.

First off, you have to understand the SMS series, and even more so, the SMS cameo. The fact is, if this were a 65 it would be a nice cameo. But, by the time 67 came around there were a few coins that actually looked like real cameo proofs. The dies didn't receive the same attention, the planchets didn't receive the same attention, and the coins once struck were not handled singly as proof issues are, they were essentially popped into hoppers. So, then you have to worry about a low grade cameo or deep cameo.

The mirrors on this coin are way too frosty for lack of a better term. A 67 that's deep cameo will have extremely deep mirrors and thick frost. I would not consider the frost thick on this coin and definitely the mirrors aren't deep.

I can show you many examples in my own collection of cameo designated coins that are cameo, and a couple of ultra cameos, I even own one nickel that's in a dcam holder but I don't think it would get that designation today. And, I have coins that are better than the one in the ebay link that are in non cameo holders. So, I vote it will at best be a 66, non cam, and at that level would sell for $25 and you would have already paid almost $40 for the coin and another $30 for grading. Save your money, if you want one at this level of contrast, let me know and I'll get you a better one at a better price.

I'd say that it is a CAM for sure. As to condition it is not a "super gem" because it does have a couple milk spots, and I think that it has been dipped. Still this is much better than average for one of these coins.

There are ways of putting an artificial "CAM" on a coin physically, but my perception is that putting a faux “CAM” on a picture would be more trouble than it is worth. My guess is this coin is a true CAM and is okay.

The 1967 Special Mint Set coins were the best of that short-lived series. The 1965 coins generally were not much better than the business strikes; the 1966 were an improvement; and the 1967 coins were generally nice many aspects of true Proof coins.

Yes, the 1967s do seem almost like proofs- I noticed that when I recieved dakra's set the other day ;)

On ebay, when dealing with raw coins, I tend to veer on the side of caution.

On ebay, when dealing with raw coins, I tend to veer on the side of caution.

On ebay, when dealing with raw coins, I tend to AVOID them.

It looks like the Kennedy is probably a CAM, but why not just go find a certified one? It's not like it's an extreme rarity.

jom

If you are looking for 65-67 Cameo's deal with coindude. He's the best. A lot of folks try to charge much more than they are worth.

Here is one for your consideration, if you like it make an offer

196725c.jpg

Here is one for your consideration, if you like it make an offer

Not to be a stickler, but it is impolite to offer coins for sale outside the appropriate Money Market forum.