• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

replacement posted by cemonice

17 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

picked up a new one for my Philly set

I went to visit my local coin dealer with whom i have been doing business since day one. He had a 1901 P Morgan dollar on his shelf that i had to have. I looked this thing up and down for some reason NOT to buy it.

Well after negotiations, i was able to pick it up for a great price!

As some of you may know, i only have a few years in this hobby, so my eye for spotting problem coins has not developed well. I believe it looks good...The surface looks kind of shiny to me, but im not educated enough to know if its been tampered with..

Tell me what you think, please be honest! I need non-bias opnions...

9464.JPG

See more journals by cemonice

Buy certified coins! I have yet to buy a certified coin that I would consider a problem coin. Nice picture by the way.

There appears to be a fingerprint below the P in pluribus that extends to her forehead and hairline. Also a scuff mark to the left of the date that may bring its numerical value down.

Excellent photos, I'd reinterate what Sethwells posted, buy certified coins. I started coin collecting with raw Morgans before I knew anything about certified/graded coins. As I got a bit more familiar with the coins I liked, I quickly realized that my eye for grading is terrible, so I started replacing my raw collection with graded examples. My Morgan set is mostly MS63 examples and I could'nt tell you the difference between a MS63, 64, or a 65 raw coin Most raw coins, in my opinon, have been cleaned, dipped or handled improperly at some point over the years. You could spend tons of cash on submitting coins for grading and never get the grade you expect. Keep that raw 1901 for a custom set and pick up a graded example for your registry, my 2 1/2 cents

Larry aka Merlin8*

sig.jpg

Maybe you can help me with a technical issue on the boards, how in the world do you get attachments on your posts. Then I am also having a dickens of a time getting my posts to upload on the boards as soon as I post them. I fill in all the login and password information, and nothing ever happens. There must be something I'm missing. I really dislike computer gliches! By the way, good pictures, I highly suspect rubbing with a pencil eraser on your coin, in particular the rub marks behind Miss Liberty's cap and around the date. This coin also appears to be in AU or high XF condition.

Gary

Hi,

The Morgan would be a nice addition to a raw, circulated set. I love Morgans and have my graded set of CC plus some for a custom set of western mints. Plus a raw set.

I hate to be a party pooper, but I would not grade that coin as high as AU. Maybe I'm too picky, as I know I got stung when I first started out. But I see too much wear in the hair (specificially above the brow and behind the ear) plus to many dings and marks. Again, I do not mean to tear down your coin, but I see too much to grade it much over a high VF. I'd be curious what NGC would grade it.

In the same vein, if you plan on doing much looking for raw coins for grading (which I wouldn't advise right now), Id recommend Mr. Blowers' book "Grading Coins By Photographs". There are also 2 other good grading books out there also.

Still a nice circulated example of the marvelous Morgan Dollar.

Iowa Silver Baron

After posting my reply, I studied the reverse photos. I think this is one coin that would benefit from the older practice of giving dual grades. I feel the reverse is nicer than the obv erse. If I were a grader and could give dual grades I would grade the obverse as a high VF30, and reverse a solid EF40. The reason I say this is the wings to me are a very nice EF, but there is wear on the eagle's breast (obviously the first place to wear on the reverse).

Iowa Silver Baron

It is really hard even with the nice photo's to see the field clearly. It does have an obvious "thumb or fingerprint", usual bag marks but I would be more concerned about what appears to me to be a "cleaning" of sorts. I would need the coin in hand to actual see if it appears to have the tell-tale hairlines of a cleaned coin.

Gary is right about the eraser marks behind the head of Miss Liberty, (very obvious as well) Just from the photo's though I really do not believe this coin will grade well and might just might grade with details..

I have to echo the advice of buying "graded" only. It saves so much money and headaches that many Morgan collectors have gone through, myself included.

moondoggy

"Maybe you can help me with a technical issue on the boards, how in the world do you get attachments on your posts".

Hey Gary, I've wondered the same thing, I found this in the FAQ's. You need a website/homepage or a external network hard drive or internet based storage space to upload from. After that you need to use the full reply window which has the emotion icons, font, enter image button, etc.

How do I add an image to my message?

In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server and reachable by a URL. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag:

image_name.gif

For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.mywebsite.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:

cateye.gif

You can do the same for your signature. Click the My Home option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.

Note: To keep the forums loading quickly for everyone, it is recommended that you do not exceed 35k for your image size

Hey fellow collectors, this has nothing to do with this conversation string and more of a format to help you out a little.

I noticed a number of you copy and paste the question or a phrase into your post that you want to answer.

See above where Merlin copied gherrmman's question and then answered it. A newly accepted practice (and much quicker and easier is to use the following format).

@Gherrmman44

Insert answer here.

By using the @ in front of the persons avatar name you are telling everyone that you are speaking to that individual and then answer the question or comment.

By copying and pasting the question, in most professional settings you are actually "being rude" as you are preparing to contradict what the individual just posted.

Just thought I would share some best practices.

Cheers!

Kamakazy

I certainly agree , Imo' I wouldn't submit it due to the fact of the problems this coin has. It's a really nice looking coin, but there were hits an cleaning details

that surround it. save your money for your next coin/ an' keep it in a separate folder with the rest of the raw coins.

Now, on the subject of putting an image with your messages. I also have been trying to figure a way to add a photo(s) on here with my messages. I'm hoping NGC, admins' or whoever can fix this dilemma' would help us make it better for all here.

There's got to be an easier way , from the other reply, I've just read...

@ Kamakazy

But, sometimes it helps to quote the point the other person made so that others just reviewing the different responses won't have to scroll up or to an earlier page to see the actual question and/or comment.

Just a thought.

I understand the picture problem from a website point of view, if NGC allows us to upload a picture from our computer then they have to store it and host it from their server, which costs them more money. So they just have us store it elsewhere and link to it and then all they have to do is load it up from where it is being stored.

It may sound like a quick fix but it would add up to TONS of money in the long run so I have a feeling it will stay the way it is.

There are plenty of websites where you can upload pictures for free, and then just link the pictures as the original poster has done. I'm sure there is an easier way but isn't the hard way to do something usually better anyways?

Also to reiterate my previous suggestion, just buy slabs! Isn't that what this website is for! I have a pretty much all cleaned or corroded or otherwise crappy collection of RAW coins, and only if I would have started buying certified coins earlier would I have learned the lessons that I just learned a few years ago.