• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'New' Sets Arrive Today

7 posts in this topic

Great surprise!!!

I received a couple sets in the mail today and was really excited to go thru them.

1976 U.S. Proof Set (with Variety 2, Thin Reverse Letters Ike dollar)

1972 U.S. Uncirculated Set

1974 U.S. Uncirculated Set

1975 U.S. Uncirculated Set (with Variety 1, Bold Reverse Letters Ike Dollar) and beautiful tones on numerous coins.

1976 U.S. Uncirculated Set (with Variety 2, Thin Reverse Letter Ike dollar)

1978 U.S. Uncirculated Set

9378.jpg

See more journals by Jeremy Abbott

The scanned images do not show off the tones, but almost all the coins have a gold look to them. Did the 1975 Uncirculated Set have gold looking coins or are they just that toned?

They are undoubtedly toned plus the pliofilm folder will also yellow with age so you have a combination of a little toning and a lot of pliofilm yellowing. Especially if they were stored by previous owners in non-temperature controlled environments, like the upstairs closet.

The scanned images do not show off the tones, but almost all the coins have a gold look to them. Did the 1975 Uncirculated Set have gold looking coins or are they just that toned?

They are undoubtedly toned plus the pliofilm folder will also yellow with age so you have a combination of a little toning and a lot of pliofilm yellowing. Especially if they were stored by previous owners in non-temperature controlled environments, like the upstairs closet.

Yes, the pliofilm also shows signs of yellowing, but just a little. I really like how the coins look. The nickel almost reminds me of how a Sacagawea Dollar looks. They are now in my safe with desiccants.

I was really surprised to see the varieties of the Ike; having one variety in the uncirc and one variety in the proof. I'll have to find a '75 uncirc set with the thin letters and a proof set with thick letters.

Jeremy,

You will find that the Type 1 Ikes (thick lettering) will be in the 1975 proof and mint sets while the Type 2 Ikes (thin lettering) will be in the 1976 proof and mint sets. If you are collecting the Ike coins, 1972 has 3 types of ikes, Type 2 is the hardest one of the three to find and tend to have a hefty price on them.

-Chris