• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some assistiance needed with grade Morgan 1895S

34 posts in this topic

Good evening,

I have this morgan dollar that I would like to get your thoughts on.

It came from a old whitman album with 14 other morgans. None of them has any kind of harsh cleaning.

I´m having the hardest time photographing what i´m about to try to explain.

The coin looks in the first pictures to be cleaned. But there is still mint luster on the coin. But the coin seems to have some kind of haze over it so it´s under some kind of light gray toning, I know English is not my languge....

Here is a head on photograph. You will not pick up on the luster.

M18951.jpg

Here is a HD photo link to photobucket

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/siggipalma/1895s.jpg

Now when I tilt the camera the luster " Or what I think it is " shows.

M11.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/siggipalma/2-27.jpg

M111.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/siggipalma/1-31.jpg

Now the questions :)

Is it cleaned ? And what would you think about grade ?

Best regards

Siggi

Um, Siggi, you shouldn't tilt coins like that for photos. It can be hazardous for the coin. You just turned a 95-S into a 78-S.

Chris

PS. From the top photos, the 95-S does look like it has been cleaned (maybe to get rid of the AT). (shrug)

PS. From the top photos, the 95-S does look like it has been cleaned (maybe to get rid of the AT). (shrug)

That was my thought, But the mint luster is still there. So that was the confusing part :)

Very nice AU Details - YES, It has been cleaned... NO, NCS is not the answer, but worth submitting to NGC, especially if you intend to sell it at some point...

Thanks everyone,

I have gathered so much valuble information from members and friends from around the world.

Now mind you I have been in the coin buisness for years but still you hit a wall every now and then. The grading process is new to me " just started this year " and the US coins are foreign to me.

Thanks again everyone much appriciated :)

The coin was sent yesterday to NGS...........

Siggi

Wonderful!!!

I guess that it is a 'market acceptable dip', as MANY coins are these days.

The colors ARE appealing.

Your second set of pics are much better!

Congrats!!

It got a grade :)

AU53 !

Very pleased with the resault. The coins will be shipped tomorrow hopefully I will show some pictures when it arrives...

AWESOME!!!!!!!

I am delighted for you!

(thumbs u

Do all your silver coins tone in Iceland?

I heard the volcanos make the air contain a little more sulphur than most places, as well as the hot water springs

If so, then your coins could tone differently than most people in the US are used to seeing, giving US the impression of old light cleaning

very nice high dollar coin +++++++

Thanks James and Kamillion and yes you were :)

This coin is the hardest coin I have ever taken photos off. It simply would not let me catch what I was refering to.

e1cnr in some erias this is true, But not whole of Iceland. It easy to AT a coin here as our hot water in our home contains Sulphur.

I made a topic about it here somewere :)

Thanks everyone :)

Good evening everyone,

The coin came back home 2 days ago and I just wanted to show you some photos before she leaves again to NGC. Some minor quality controle misshap that is going to be corrected.

1895s-1.jpg

I would like to thank everyone who answered my questions and gave advice. This is the reason why I have stayed in this hobby for so long.

Siggi