• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question on crossing over coins from PCGS to NGC and designations

12 posts in this topic

Most if not nearly all of you have more experience and knowledge than me. I am wondering if you honestly think it is best to crossover a coin in a PCGS holder or crack it out and submit it that way? I know they are not supposed to look at the grade, but i find that hard to believe. Also, is there a way to specify a designation or if you want a coin reviewed for a designation such as PL? Do i just submit it and they will take that into consideration? Thanks,

Zach

I personally would crack it out and send it, to eliminate any potential unintentional bias.

As for PL designation, they will look for this automatically.

That being said, there is a notes section on the submission form where you can request they check a coin for PL.

I think that there is considerably more upside AND downside in cracking the coins out, as opposed to submitting them in their holders. So it boils down to how much of a gambler you are.

It's at least somewhat more difficult for a grader to view a coin through a holder, so a grading decision is likely to err on the side of caution. Also, I personally believe that there is some grading company bias when reviewing coins which have been graded by a competitor. So submitting a coin in the holder can present some obstacles to up-grades.

Due to the above, if you crack a coin out, you might have a better chance at an up-grade. I have heard of many, many examples of coins having failed to cross, then subsequently up-grading when submitted out of the holder.

However, you also risk the very unpleasant and disturbing surprise of a down-grade or a no-grade. I have seen that happen to the sharpest of submitters and with coins that looked like no-brainer up-grades.

If you submit a coin (which has a standard designation used by both companies) for crossover, in the holder, that designation will automatically be considered as part of the crossover decision.

If you crack the coin out and are seeking a particular designation, you should include the coin ID number corresponding to that date and designation on the submission invoice. In theory, the graders will automatically consider most designations anyway, but it's still better to provide them with the proper hint. ;)

Just mention in the notes that you are looking for a PL. If it is already in NGC plastic, you can send it in for designation review. Unless it is a Morgan, they don't tend to automatically think about PL for other series - I have had some clearly obvious PL's in non-designated holders that I sent in for review, and was successful in obtaining the coveted PL.

The crossover game is not for the faint of heart. Expect to fail, if you win, it's a bonus.

It's much cheaper, and less stress, to buy the coin in the holder of preference.

The crossover game is not for the faint of heart. Expect to fail, if you win, it's a bonus.

It's much cheaper, and less stress, to buy the coin in the holder of preference.

I'm finding out this can be a waiting game also. I've seen some 1959 67Cam Roosies but all are in pcgs slabs. I haven't seen one in an ngc yet. I was thinking of buying one and hoping it would cross same grade at ngc. (shrug)

The coin you want will arrive one day if you do have patience. :)

I don't do well in that department. :(

I've had good luck submitting coins in their holders.

Had a PCGS MS64 1932 $10 cross to a NGC MS64+ 1932 $10, and go on to CAC bean.

Had a PCGS MS65 1925-D $2.5 cross to a NGC MS65+ 1925-D $2.5, and go on to CAC bean.

And had a NGC AU58 1849-D $1 reslab into a scratch resistant new holder with a NGC AU58+.

I have had mixed success crossing from PCGS to NGC and agree that competitor coins can be looked at differently. That said one of my more important 1936 proofs crossed at the same grade and CAC still agreed making this 1936 half dollar a coin with 3 independent opinions. I guess it's solid for the grade