• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885 Morgan - Opinions PLEASE - THX !!!

22 posts in this topic

Hard to say with those images, they can easily hide flaws with the overall hue. The coin looks to be a very clean original piece, that I'd like in a 64+ holder, but wouldn't complain with a 64-65 either; it just really depends on how much the cheek is marked up (looks like a few marks, but nothing major). The value doesn't warrant submitting a potential 64, but a solid 65 or better is probably worthwhile.

JMO

It has to be spotless and sharp to be a 66

It has to be somewhat chatter free to be a 65

From what I see its a chatter and mark issue - the biggest issues being the

wing , neck , cheek and some field issues.

Might squeak into a 64 holder if the coin isn't gold as pictured - then it would be a fake :):makepoint:

Made some minor touch ups to the pictures - It probably looks more like this - right ?

114264.jpg.e3274e0c669185206ff05cd4fda17e43.jpg

114265.jpg.61060eb0766d0ec9c4df99aee3d23f48.jpg

It's a very strong MS-64, and has some chance of nailing a 65.

On the merits of the reverse .. very nice

THANKS GUYS- Yes the modified pics are much more like the real coin. I bought this coin thinking really strong 64 due to the light hits on the obverse face bringing it down - not overly distracting, but there none the less. The real thing that attracted me was that the reverse was daaaamn near flawless and well struck, and the whole coin has great flowing original luster that's just plain nice to look at:)...

Will probably never ever see a holder, but a keeper for me...

Whizzed to enhance luster.

Sorry, no.

You can't whizz the surfaces to get that look. If you could do that consistently you'd be very rich very fast.

There is a chance it may have been dipped, but the surfaces are die struck, not from a wire brush.

I been around, just decided to post. Please be reasonable. This is an open forum. Free and open to all who have suggestions and advice.My suggestion for you is that you keep an open mind to all opinions. This is not NGC, Just a place where the general public come to give advice. I am apart of that.

Nice coin; a real beauty. But altered surfaces. No disrespect to you. I hope you are not mad. If you do not like opposing opinions do not post. You opened yourself up to all opinions when you asked for a grade of your coin. And my honest opinion is as states. Enhanced. But a real beautiful coin. MS 64-65 Field issues. But nice.

could you supply a couple more pics of the obverse?

Emelda77 may be correct or there was some rather funky lighting on the pic supplied

Enhanced. Will come back "Genuine" Trust me. And I do not have to be a active message boarder to know that. I am no expert , but have a trained eye from buying so many fakes and whizzed coins from Ebay. Altered surfaces for sure. Newbie, but Well informed.

***TRIVIA - Without even looking at the pic, would anyone else like to explain why this coin will, absolutely and totally for sure, NOT come back "Genuine" from NGC?***

Emelda, Your ebay endeavor sounds like a great hobby! Exactly how many "fakes and whizzed" coins have you bought from ebay to acquire such "knowledge/trained eye"??? Can you PLEASE post some pic's?

As to opinions, I respect the opinions of all who post, and will honor your request when I get a chance, and can locate the coin, and will give you a few more pic's, as these type discussions can help everyone learn a thing or two about the coins discussed and/or just perhaps a thing or two about their fellow coin enthusiasts/their interpretations and methods. Afterall, it would be a truly remarkable feat for you to have caught such a glaring problem after it went completely unnoticed by such seasoned individuals as those who previously posted and I feel I would just be acting selfishly to have stolen that glory from you...

Bill has it correct when he says you would be LOADED if you could artificially produce this type of surface on a coin post production... (FYI - You may want to check out his profile/pedigree)...