• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914-D $10 indian

28 posts in this topic

this piece was given to me recently, i think it will grade very well. The surfaces are frosty/granular in nature and make it appear to have a lot of contact marks, but that is not the case. Let me know what you think

114046.jpg.12e888084c2efe8cf4ef2ec8ddcdccf3.jpg

114047.jpg.8eb9a4c1bc1dee19a82ba6f6a1d228af.jpg

114048.jpg.f6f9c8f58aa38b0fd290cb17a14887a0.jpg

114049.jpg.113ceb7cc52ed171e8f44905285ba1ce.jpg

i also got a $2.50 indian and two different $5 liberty gold pieces. I think all three 3 have been cleaned and the $2.50 indian appears to have been part of a ring at one time. The only one worth sending in was this $10 indian

Grading Mint State or virtually Mint State coins is a bear. This coin could come back in anything from MS-62 to MS-64. If there is rub on the Indian's hair below the warbonnet, MS-62. If it has not rub there, MS-63 or 64.

i think my terrible picture taking is not doing justice, i wish there was a setup or something i could buy to take pics, like a stand with adjustable light source, i know my camera is fine, it is a sony cybershot 12.1megapixel. Any help on the picture taking?

Nice Indian, looks MS-62 to me.

A good copy stand will work wonders, with or without fixed lights. (I use a combination of Speedlite and bounced light off a white wall.)

Here is a suggestion.....

http://www.amazon.com/Kaiser-205411-Copy-Stand-2-XA/dp/B000L9MX96

Here is a photo of one of my Indians using the Kaiser stand.....

1157035_Full_Obv.jpg

1157035_Full_Rev.jpg

(PCGS AU-58)

The reverse shouts MS63, but I feel the obverse has been lightly rubbed, and would technically be a MS61ish but overall I'd like this in a 62 holder, or 63 if the black spots on the obverse were removed.

The reverse shouts MS63, but I feel the obverse has been lightly rubbed, and would technically be a MS61ish but overall I'd like this in a 62 holder, or 63 if the black spots on the obverse were removed.

I guess I was right with the gut of light rub...I shouldn't have said MS61 bcs of that, but AU61...and they give AU58+ instead of AU61's...That coin rightfully deserves the +, but I think it's potentialy a few points undergraded. It may also be that the images aren't showing flaws that are visable coin in hand.

I guess I was right with the gut of light rub...I shouldn't have said MS61 bcs of that, but AU61...and they give AU58+ instead of AU61's...That coin rightfully deserves the +, but I think it's potentialy a few points undergraded. It may also be that the images aren't showing flaws that are visable coin in hand.

when i get it back in hand i will try my best to take other pics. i am just not on a good run lately, and not only my coin submissions, but everything, it just has not been my month. I am supposed to be in pharmacy school right now, but there wasn't enough teachers, so that is at best delayed until january, so much stuff going on and this is the disappointing cherry on top, oh well :(

Sorry about such a disappointing grade like 58 for that nice coin. But I know how you feel.

Here is my collection example of AU58, even though I still see this coin as a MS63 on a bad day and MS65 on a good one :grin:

IndenasObv.jpg

IndenasRev.jpg

(James_EarlyUS photos :applause: )

looks like everyone has some disappointing AU58's :) James, my 1914-d looks just like yours, nearly flawless obverse and some small marks on reverse. I thought for sure it would be a MS64. Do you know if NGC is easier on gold than PCGS. Are they likely to take into consideration the light rub/weak center. I really feel that my indian is MS and anything less is an injustice, maybe i am wrong, but i am a little bitter about this one.

That last posted indian looks like a bomber! I can only cite one or two marks, but it should be a MS coins on lustre alone (little hint of rub on the eagle's wing is holding it from MS though...about as slider as they come).

That coin's probably worth more raw than slabbed.

got it back from pcgs today, still disappointed in the grade, it looks like a solid MS63 to me, perhaps i will crack out and send to NGC, i do like the edgeview holders more

114473.jpg.b19bd20ec3170d9f7621aa7c1e6cfd33.jpg

114474.jpg.5a6145394b86a073836bca0b589f705f.jpg

114475.jpg.ac461fedf35cc450d1281afe3fad2810.jpg

114476.jpg.5a98e440e06a463e266849180e8ef20e.jpg

Ok, those pictures have better lighting on the reverse. I see precisely why it's graded 58. There's a bit of rub on the front edge of the eagle's wing feathers. That alone warrants the AU designation, regardless as to the question of did the coin actually circulate or not (99% not). The + is clearly for the MS63 characteristics of the coin. You can see many a coin that is graded MS63 but you feel should be AU58 and vice versa. I've got a Lincoln (an SVDB actually) in a MS holder that the head grader at Heritage said is a solid AU-58, but no better, whereas the other top buyers and several of the other graders called it anywhere from MS62-63RB [it's actually in an ANACS MS60 details holder cleaned...which would cross if NCS'd to darken it up to an acceptable level].

I just think it is too hard to grade with the photos. I see marks on the face that look like circ marks so that is why when I read thru this thread I thought AU. Then some of the posts said MS62 so I wasn't sure. THEN I saw the result and I'm not surprised.

The coin (based on the photo) just doesn't look choice (63) to me...but like I said you really need to see the coin IN HAND. Maybe it's got some blast luster you can't see with the pic.

Here's a question: At what grade level did you buy the coin at?

jom

It would be a waste of money to crack it out and send it to NGC.

I agree with Lincoln’s comments on the coin. Based on both sets of photos I cannot see the coin at MS 63. I missed this post prior to you revealing the grade. I would have guessed Au 58 – MS 61 but not MS 63.

I just think it is too hard to grade with the photos. I see marks on the face that look like circ marks so that is why when I read thru this thread I thought AU. Then some of the posts said MS62 so I wasn't sure. THEN I saw the result and I'm not surprised.

The coin (based on the photo) just doesn't look choice (63) to me...but like I said you really need to see the coin IN HAND. Maybe it's got some blast luster you can't see with the pic.

Here's a question: At what grade level did you buy the coin at?

jom

i didn't buy it, it was given to me along with 2 $5 gold liberty's which were unfortunately cleaned :( and a $2.5 indian which was used in a ring. The only uncleaned undamaged coin was this $10 indian. I know you all say AU58, but i still feel it is MS62-63 maybe even 64, it looks much cleaner in person with decent luster, although i do not have much to compare it to. It will stay in its PCGS holder for awhile, i may resubmit later.

i didn't buy it, it was given to me along with 2 $5 gold liberty's which were unfortunately cleaned :( and a $2.5 indian which was used in a ring. The only uncleaned undamaged coin was this $10 indian. I know you all say AU58, but i still feel it is MS62-63 maybe even 64, it looks much cleaner in person with decent luster, although i do not have much to compare it to. It will stay in its PCGS holder for awhile, i may resubmit later.

I thought knowing what you bought it for might help to guess the real grade. Oh well.

Also, a bit of a helpful hint: Don't bother submitting the coin until you are ready to sell it. Otherwise, it's kind of a waste of money....you know...putting off expenses as long as possible.

When it's time...go ahead and submit. However, you might want to take it to a show and get some opinions as they will be able to see it in hand....whereas we only get to see photos.

jom