• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what grade would u give?

26 posts in this topic

i just picked these and about 20 others up at a yard sale..woman said husband died and she is selling everything and moving...said he collected all kinds of junk..let me have all 22 Morgans for $200.00...i couldn't say no at that price..she says there is more inside somewhere and she will call me when she finds them..cant wait for that call...

now i just need to figure out how to post pics...lets see if this works...

http://imageshack.us/g/818/img130e.jpg/

Tough to tell from photos, but looks like good clean unc - you really should go back and give her at least an extra three times more than you already paid her just to reach +/- melt...

Tough to tell from photos, but looks like good clean unc - you really should go back and give her at least an extra three times more than you already paid her just to reach +/- melt...

I second that!

I wonder how cardman would feel if someone did that to his mother or grandmother. I for one, would hunt them down.

Chris

I bet the poor old woman's dead husband is rolling over in his grave.

If she calls and you go back pay her what the coins are worth, you'll sleep better at night.

She may have offered the coins to the buyer at $200, and if she set her price, then there is absolutely nothing immoral about accepting it.

I personally would have told her the coins are worth much more than that (and have done so numerous times), but that is a personal choice, and not necessarily an ethical dilemma.

I personally would have told her the coins are worth much more than that (and have done so numerous times), but that is a personal choice, and not necessarily an ethical dilemma.

That's what a good person would do!

Chris

It's called a garage sale people!!!! You go to a garage sale to buy cheap stuff. If you go and buy a chainsaw for $20 and you know it's a $1K saw, do you feel bad and demand to pay more? NO, you buy the friggen' saw and consider yourself lucky. Or a lawn mower for $15 when you know it should be $400?

Get off the man for going to a garage sale and getting a good buy!

Geez!

I know that if I found a 18th century French mantle clock for $40 I'd buy it in a heartbeat and not feel the least bit guilty!

my wifes grandmother gave us this hideous painting, that sat in our garage for years and we had yard sale after yard sale and could never sell this thing. one weekend a couple asked how much and I was so excited someone was interested I said ten bucks and its yours. they started whispering to eachother and I was like damn I should have said five bucks, and I was about to tell them five and its yours but the husband said ok heres ten bucks.

WELL, about a week later on antiques roadshow I saw someone with a similar painting by the same artist and it was worth 2,000 bucks. I did a little more research and his paintings frequently sold for 10 to 15 K in the late nineties.

sure I wish I had the painting still but you know what, thats life. Do your due diligence, you cant expect others to do it for you.

So, anything at a garage sale that is underpriced should immediately be brought to the person's attention and you should pay what everything is worth at a GARAGE SALE!!

You people need to get over your high-headedness about your hobby on this topic. Everything at a garage sale should be a helluva bargain or what's the point in going to a garage sale? This lady was unloading something and getting a little easy money with no effort on her part.

Just because it goes against your oh-so-high-and-mighty views in the hobby doesn't mean that the guy did anything wrong by getting a deal on some silver.

This is starting to sound as stuck-up as the PCGS boards.

Why didn't she just go to local coin dealer or pawn shop could have gotten AT LEAST melt/cull value there??? She must have been really clueless.

I thought being stuck-up and being ethical were two different animals.

If you're stuck-up, you catch a lot of flies in your nose.

If you're ethical, you don't charge them for the hospitality.

Chris

:makepoint:

really???

so lets say this lady had 22 average circulated common date morgans, and when the guy asked to buy them, she says $50,000 and the guy runs to the bank and gets the cash. You would say that guy was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and that if he wanted to throw his money away its his choice.

I think its refreshing that some lady having a "YARD SALE" didnt think her average coins where some lost one of a kind treasure like most people that have a 1922 peace dollar that looked like a beaver chewed on it thinks.

you have to remember the venue, its a yard sale not the local dealer down the street, or even a neighbor that brought them to another neighbor that knows about coins, the fact that she said 200 dollars shows that she knew they weren't plastic play coins or wooden nickels, she knew they had some value.

???

Ok, how about hoity-toity? Holier-than-thou?

How about, "Do the right thing!"

Chris

Or perhaps "Do onto others..."

While there is a certain satisfaction obtained from getting a great deal there is (or should be) the same satisfaction from helping out a fellow human being, especially a woman who has recently lost her husband.

:makepoint:

really???

so lets say this lady had 22 average circulated common date morgans, and when the guy asked to buy them, she says $50,000 and the guy runs to the bank and gets the cash. You would say that guy was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and that if he wanted to throw his money away its his choice.

I think its refreshing that some lady having a "YARD SALE" didnt think her average coins where some lost one of a kind treasure like most people that have a 1922 peace dollar that looked like a beaver chewed on it thinks.

you have to remember the venue, its a yard sale not the local dealer down the street, or even a neighbor that brought them to another neighbor that knows about coins, the fact that she said 200 dollars shows that she knew they weren't plastic play coins or wooden nickels, she knew they had some value.

???

You guys can say all you want to try to justify it, but the truth is that I wouldn't trust you with my dog and I don't even have one.

Chris

My 2c is this. The OP has since gone probably never to return so the entire posts about his ethics is moot. He got a steal and the seller got what she asked. While I don't see anything wrong with what happened I would have handled it differently, but still would have made sure I got a deal on the coins. I would like to think that I would explain to the lady what they are really worth and then work the deal from that point. It is after all a yardsale and I wouldn't expect to pay retail B&M prices. I would hope we could meet in the middle somewhere and both profit from the sale.

My 2c is this. The OP has since gone probably never to return so the entire posts about his ethics is moot. He got a steal and the seller got what she asked. While I don't see anything wrong with what happened I would have handled it differently, but still would have made sure I got a deal on the coins. I would like to think that I would explain to the lady what they are really worth and then work the deal from that point. It is after all a yardsale and I wouldn't expect to pay retail B&M prices. I would hope we could meet in the middle somewhere and both profit from the sale.

That is the best answer that I have heard so far.