• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TO REVEAL, OR NOT TO REVEAL? posted by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That Is The Question.

Last year, I joined a bridge club at the local Senior Citizen Center. Over time, the group has dwindled to just 4 people. We play weekly, and have become friends.

Our conversations are filled with talk of past careers, families, health issues, politics, and hobbies. Often, I've been asked, "What do you do for fun besides Bridge?". I mention an interest in golf, and various sports, but have always steered the conversation away from any mention of coins.

I like these people, and coins are a major part of my life. I'm tempted, but wary.

So, do I reveal?

This is my way of thinking out loud. I'm still undecided.

See more journals by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

Good Morning,,,,,

With your question, I'm sure many others are probably thinkingthe same thing. Would it be safe for me to reveal what I have in coins? (or) keep them in the dark, (hidden) where nobody can learn from them. There's certainly no enjoyment in that! Imo,,, I personally would make sure your coin collection is deposited in a Safe Deposit Box, before saying anything aboutthem. Read the Banking-Rules for them being stored in there also.

(Always) take the necessary photo(s) so you can show them, and be sure to write a nice description of each coin. Make extra copies, drop one of these in your (Safe deposit box as well). Go for it, and Enjoy! If your on the Registry, let us see what you have, looking at beautiful coins is a great passion of mine.

Take Care, and write me.

Jim/jb4gpo > 1938 to Date Jefferson Nickels Collection

Interesting question and it's one that I'm conflicted with myself.

Since my collection was just started in the last year, I don't have a large amount of resources invested in them. However, with each new addition the value is increasing, so I'm certainly not going to make it well known to complete strangers.

I agree with JB, however. Coins are meant to be enjoyed and treasured, not just for their intrinsic value, but for their historic value as well. I will probably show them to very select people that come into my life that I trust implicitly. Since I'm going through a divorce, I certainly don't want my current wife to know about them. lol

If you trust these folks and they are of similar economic background I would go ahead and introduce them to our hobby. Maybe show them a nice type set album or since they are all seniors, start a conversation about the old coins we no longer see anymore like the Peace Dollars or Mercury Dimes and mention you have a little collection, see what kind of interest arises.

Best of Luck

Malcolm

There is nothing wrong with starting a discussion on coins. Maybe somebody else has the same interests. If you have known these folks for awhile and call them friends.. why not?

I seriously wouldn't count on that one Paul,,, Senior Citizens are getting hit the hardest by this economy, their on a fixed income, and everything is going up in price,,,,,everything! Their purchasing power has dwindled next to nothing

these days.

The muggers' are getting mugged by other muggers ! So it'd be best to Tuck your spendy,rare coins away in a safe place, THEN' ,,,,show off your photo(s) of your coins to friends and loved ones.

Have a nice day, Jim/jb4gpo

If you trust them, I see no harm bringing up coin collecting in your talks. Maybe not mention the overall value of your collection but talking about and showing some lesser value coins could be very fun.