• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yellowstone 5 oz silver ATB on sale Tues. May 17

16 posts in this topic

The mint will sell the second of the 2010 numismatic America The Beautiful 5 oz silver coins on Tuesday May 17th beginning at noon. Here's a link to the announcement --- Mint Statement.

Unlike the previous coin of the series depicting Hot Springs which didn't sell out for several days, I predict this one will be gone by the end of the first day, so anyone who wishes to order shouldn't wait too long. This coin will be more popular because the design shows our beloved American Buffalo and the Old Faithful geyser in action, whereas the Hot Springs was a dead scene. Furthermore, of all our national parks, Yellowstone seems to have the most devoted admirers.

In a previous post I wrongly stated that the 5 oz silver ATB series is scheduled to consist of 55 bullion and 55 numismatic pieces, totaling 110, but the correct number is 56 + 56 =112, adding up to 560 ounces of silver. A complete collection will eventually set you back about 30 thousand bucks if current prices remain little changed

Yes, each of the 2010 numismatic sandblasted 5 oz silver ATBs with P mintmark, including Yellowstone, are supposed to be 27K. But there'll probably be small variations from the 27,000 figure due to returns from customers who received defective coins. Some of the returns will be resold, but not all. :gossip:

I couldn't find any of the ATBs listed yet in the NGC numismedia price guide, but I was able to see the PCGS price guide, which has the bullion MS ATBs listed by park, by grade, and by finish, and accordingly the Yellowstones are already commanding the highest prices.

My order went through very quickly, and when I compared notes with my Sister (who of course lives in a different household), as to order numbers and times, it was obvious the US mint website was upgraded to handle larger numbers of orders quickly. We ordered exactly ten minutes apart, during which time the order numbers jumped by over 1200. Extrapolating that, it could mean over 7000 orders per hour, whereas the mint website in April could handle only 3000 per hour. If the 7000 rate is constant, the coin could be sold out in four hours. But the rate will probably slow down considerably.

I might turn out to be wrong in my original prediction that this Yellowstone would sell out within one day, since silver has declined to about 33.50, and also the mint is soon to offer other popular expensive products, especially the 2011 proof gold buffalo this coming Thursday, and then the 2011 platinum a week later. But of these three, the Yellowstone would definitely be the best purchase for potential profit, if that's the motivation.

A complete collection will eventually set you back about 30 thousand bucks if current prices remain little changed

and.................weight in at a bit less than 47 troy pounds. :o

A complete collection will eventually set you back about 30 thousand bucks if current prices remain little changed

and.................weight in at a bit less than 47 troy pounds. :o

Good point, they'd weigh you down if you carried them around like ordinary quarters, even though in avoirdupois pounds the whole set would only be about 38½. Just please keep in mind all of 'em won't fit in your pockets, so you might want to use an old potato sack. Which would have the further advantage of providing them with more character in the form of bag marks. Isn't it true that honest-to-goodness bag marks are not supposed to reduce TPG grades? :whistle:

I confirmed 7 orders for myself. my boss has 15 confirmed and my brother has 2.. we have 24 so far and 21 ppl wont have a chance!!!!

The mint suckered you in. If they allowed an ordering limit of 25, you probably wouldn't have sprung for even one. doh!

I confirmed 7 orders for myself. my boss has 15 confirmed and my brother has 2..

we have 24 so far and 21 ppl wont have a chance!!!!

Is that what drives your collecting? From Apocalypse Now a slight variation " I love the smell of greed in the morning"

I wouldnt call it greedy. I have multiples of different coins. Back in 95, I went to my local coin shop and was offered a 95-W eagle graded NGC PF70 UC for 300.00 and I thought it was well over priced. I kick myself in the every day. As this series progresses,I do believe if the series 5oz ATB series continues and in reality you are playing monoply,. This is going to be the boardwalk and park place of the series.. I will sit back and watch my collection grow...

I wouldnt call it greedy. I have multiples of different coins. Back in 95, I went to my local coin shop and was offered a 95-W eagle graded NGC PF70 UC for 300.00 and I thought it was well over priced. I kick myself in the every day. As this series progresses,I do believe if the series 5oz ATB series continues and in reality you are playing monoply,. This is going to be the boardwalk and park place of the series.. I will sit back and watch my collection grow...

Everyone knows that many coin dealers who specialize in moderns were buying large multiples of these, with the help of their employees, friends and relatives. It was limited only by their budget, their desired quantity, and the size of their circle of buyers. Other dealers are advertising to pay buyers to send them the sealed boxes from the mint. There isn't a sharp line of demarcation between dealers who buy quantities from other buyers, and those who get quantities as favors from friends and relatives, and who they will pay back in other ways on top of the outright costs.

Therefore I don't have a problem with Paul Kiraly getting a bunch of these for himself one way or the other, and for being up front about it. He's paying the premiums, and there is no realistic way the mint can prevent multiple sales through networks of contacts. Paul may love the coin, he may be speculating, maybe both. At least the mint's rules prevented some wealthy entity from buying the entire mintage at the opening minute of sales for about 7½ million bucks. They strung it out so that anybody who really wanted one had no problem.

And I happen to agree with Paul, Yellowstone will prove to be the most sought after of the 5 oz ATBs, regardless of later designs or mintages, for a combination of factors.

Wait, there is a limit of one per person, right?

Perhaps the Mint will reduce your order to one when it gets processed?!?!?!?

Either way, I think this is going to be a good coin. Yellowstone is popular.

- Ian