• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Newp of the Year....1885 Gold Life Saving Medal!

12 posts in this topic

A big thanks to board member cohodk (from ATS) and to John Kraljevich for arranging me to pick up this amazing piece. I saw one posted earlier in the year, and fell in love with the design. Since I will probably never own a Stella, this is the next best thing.

This medal was rewarded by President Grover Cleavland in 1885 to Captain Guenberg of the German ship Ceres for his rescue of the crew of the Josie M Anderson. The ship, Josie M Anderson, departed from Perth Amboy, NJ and was going to Port Royal, South Carolina. This medal is very close to home, as I live in the town where Grover Cleavland was born. And I have visited Perth Amboy and Sandy Hook in New Jersey many times as well.

Here is an article from the New York Times about the sinking of the ship and the rescue:

Rescued in Midocean

And here is an article about President Cleavland presenting multiple awards to Captain Guenberg:

Notes from the Capital

And of course the medal which I hope will remain in my family for many many generations to come. I plan to have a special case made with copies of the two above articles.

dpej2g.jpg

Ankur

If I'm not mistaken, these are enormously expensive in gold, right? And I'm assuming it is not gold-plated? I've owned a few struck in bronze or copper, and it would be an extremely interesting niche to pursue.

Although not mentioned it's real easy to see it's a George T. Morgan medal as the model for this medals obverse is once again 18 year old Philadelphia schoolteacher Anna Willess Williams.

Anna_Willess_Williams.jpg

Although not mentioned it's real easy to see it's a George T. Morgan medal as the model for this medals obverse is once again 18 year old Philadelphia schoolteacher Anna Willess Williams.

Anna_Willess_Williams.jpg

Thats pretty cool! I never knew that!

Thanks for posting it.

[Thats pretty cool! I never knew that!

Thanks for posting it.

Your welcome! :)

Easy to see good ole Geo T. might have been hot for teacher... Or maybe just a lil obsessed hm;)