WEEK #470 HEY HEY IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN....

23 posts in this topic

639 posts

QUESTION: (shrug)

[font:Comic Sans MS][font:Century Gothic]On a 1969-S doubled-die-obverse cent, why is the mintmark not doubled? [/font][/font]

Our first place winner will receive a copy of The Official Red Book, A Guide Book of Franklin & Kennedy Half Dollars.

There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

1,741 posts

Mintmarks were added to the die after they were hubbed. The doubling occured during hubbing.

1,794 posts

Mint marks were punched in the dies separately in 1969, after the doubled die itself had already been made

4,360 posts

A true 1969-S Doubled Die Obverse cent will not have doubling on the mintmark as the mintmark was punched into the die separately

3,651 posts

The S Mint Mark was punched into the

working die - and not the master die.

It was the master die that was doubled.

3,215 posts

Mint marked was punched in the die after it was made. One tap, one S.

1,652 posts

Because the die doubling occurred before the mintmark was punched into the die.

1,679 posts

The mintmark was applied to each die by hand after the design was pressed into the die - often weeks later. Doubled dies are created in the die making process, so it would be all design elements except the mintmark that would be doubled.

7,394 posts

I will guess because it was added later to the die.

492 posts

Hope I win, the prize looks very useful to me as the Kennedy and Franklin half dollars are what I'm working on! :) GL everyone

639 posts

Question:

On a 1969-S doubled-die-obverse cent, why is the mintmark not doubled?

Answer: It was applied after the die was made.

Our first place winner Bsshog40 will receive a copy of The Official Red Book, A Guide Book of Franklin & Kennedy Half Dollars :whee:

Our second place winner, nunfa0 has won a display box. :acclaim:

Thank you for playing and please stop by this Friday for the PMG Numisma-Quest question!