• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WEEK # 469 Happy Friday Everybody!!!!!!!

24 posts in this topic

Q. When Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, what currency was in his pocket?

Good luck everyone & have a great weekend! :whee:

Our first place winner will receive a coupon for 1 note graded under the Standard grading tier. (You must have an active account with PMG, call PMG for details) There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

I googled this and came back with:

Confederate five-dollar bill

but I couldn't believe it. So further digging shows it is true according to the library of congress at

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/h?ammem/scsmbib:@field(DOCID+@lit(scsm001049))

and you can see the actual note here:

http://memory.loc.gov/service/rbc/lprbscsm/scsm1049/006r.jpg

Of the many personal effects found in the fallen President's pockets, one of the more curious items was an 1864 $5 Confederate note. No one is sure why Lincoln had the Confederate note

It never fails that I always get to the trivia question well after it has posted, so I'm sure that someone has already come up with the correct answer.

With that said, I will say that President Lincoln had some Chinese counterfeits from Jinghuashei's Big Tree Co. in his pocket.

Chris

1864 Confederate $5

Q. When Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, what currency was in his pocket?

A. A 1864 Confederate $5 note.

Great job everyone and congratulations to jamorse99 and runner up e1cnr!

Thanks for playing this weeks Numisma-Quest. Dont forget to stop by for this weeks NGC question!