• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1875-CC Trade Dollar. Is it real? Grade?

36 posts in this topic

I was hoping if you guys wouldn't mind telling me if this coin was real, and what grade you would put on it. I'm getting better with the pictures.

dsc09982.jpg

dsc09983.jpg

This thing don't look good to me at all. Looks like it's been engraved/dremeled very badly. If it's real, it will not grade from what I'm seeing.

The fine detail die work in the lettering does not match up with pictures of 1875-CC Trade Dollars on the Coin Facts pages. Since the dies for these coins were hubbed, this one is a counterfeit. Like at the letters in "In God we trust." They are very poorly formed.

Counterfeit

Some advice for you – stop buying raw coins until you can tell the difference between a good coin and bad coin.

funny, this coin is up for auction at a reputable auction house. I'd better let them know. Mark T- I haven't bought the coin yet.

funny, this coin is up for auction at a reputable auction house. I'd better let them know. Mark T- I haven't bought the coin yet.

What Auction house is that ?? Not to be a d--k but I can not see this coin beign offered by a "reputable auction house" . So that I can understand - you took a picture of this coin after seeing the coin in hand from this auction house ??

Let us assume for the sake of discussion that the coin is not counterfeit – it has a polished cleaned look to it so it would only get into a details holder . Is this the same auction house that sold you that cleaned Morgan Dollar ?

I would be curious also if this was in a slab. If it is authentic, I'm betting it's in an "Altered Surfaces" details slab.

I would be curious also if this was in a slab. If it is authentic, I'm betting it's in an "Altered Surfaces" details slab.

The coin looks raw .

i never said anyone was, but they are selling other ones. I came here for advice, I got it. There's no reason to be snooty. Everyone has been really helpful and understanding thus far.

i never said anyone was, but they are selling other ones. I came here for advice, I got it. There's no reason to be snooty. Everyone has been really helpful and understanding thus far.

I am not being snooty. From what I have seen most if not all the coins you have posted are problem coins. Then you make a post about this Trade Dollar that is being offered by a reputable major auction house. When asked about the identity of that auction house your comment is “I'll reveal after the auction is over, I don't need any extra competition”. When informed that no one here would be interested in that coin your comment is” I never said anyone was, but they are selling other ones” .

Ok so why the big secret ?? I did a search for all Auctions in the state of Texas for April and came up with nothing. Heritage to the best of my knowledge does not sell raw coins.

So what say you now ?? Here is what I think – you already purchased the coin – have it in hand and know you made another mistake just like you did with the 1897-O Morgan. You seem like a very easy mark for purchasing really bad coins.

I actually flew out to wisconsin for the auction. Let's just bury the hatchet, ok. I just want to learn about coins, so that I don't make silly mistakes. However, they are mistakes that I can afford. I am a sucker for the find. I could just buy the key date graded straight up, but where's the fun in that?

Let bygones, be bygones, and let's move on.

You come here for advice but you still make the same mistakes over and over. You need to learn how decipher a good coin from a bad coin. I suggest you stop buying these raw coins and stick to certified coins in reputable grading company holders. I have to say I am really at a loss now – why on earth would you fly to Wisconsin to view a coin like ?

Why is the name of this auction such a big secret ??

I apologize, I'll stick to graded coins and take a photography class. I don't like people knowing where I go for auctions. That's just personal to me. If you really want to know, PM me and I'll tell you. Thanks for your concern.

Here is a third point of view. From Mark's perspective, he knows it takes time and effort to understand and make good decisions in the hobby we call collecting. It takes additional time to understand specifics on each variety. Although his comments might be considered tough, I think he is trying to make a point your interest in multiple varieties without having the knowledge and background on them can and will cost you money. And sharing knowledge is what many do here in assisting others to make good decisions.

As for you Jobessi, I see your excitement in wanting to collect. That's a good thing. From your posts, I see you wanting to "jump in" head first and take your chances, good or bad. And that you can afford those bumps and bruises along the way. I say power to you. Just know members here provide their views when purchases or coins are good and when they are not. Trust what they say.

Virtually all of my GSA collection was purchased raw. It is a rush to find those lower priced MS coins knowing they will grade MS65, knowing their eye appeal, strike, luster, marks, vam and market value. Now that is fun! I agree buying graded coins takes the excitement out of the hunt (at least for me). But I have put in the time to maximize my investment and quite confident in my decisions. Purchases are few but they are special. Buy books on varieties you have interest in and start building your knowledge base. But most of all, have fun.

Chet

Here is an 1876 Trade Dollar. It's not a fancy date and mint mark combination like the the 1875-CC, but the coin is genuine. Compare with what you have bid upon and see of two are virtualy indentical. All dies where made at the Philadelphia mint and shipped to the branch mints so the coins were quite similar in a number of ways.

1876TradeO.jpg1876TradeR.jpg

I'm still curious tho' as I don't see that trade dollar in your bunch. Did you have a chance to see it in person and was it being sold in any certain condition?

Now I am more confused. Our coins look identical, except my "IN GOD WE TRUST" seems thicker, and the 75-cc in reference isn't in as good of condition. Perhaps you could identify the differences for me. That part of the auction ends tomorrow.

dsc09982.jpgdsc09983.jpg

Look at the word "GOD." One the "CC" piece it almost looks like "GOO" and the "O" is mishapen. Also the dentiles (the "teeth" around the rim of the coin are flat, especially in the to the left of Ms. Liberty's hand and olive branch.

A good piece of advice is NEVER buy a raw (uncertified) Trade Dollar unless you are an expent in the series. There are so many fakes that you can't trust most dealers to spot them.

I would pass

the shadows around the devices tells me it has been cleaned and/or polished

the rims got more dings than I prefer

looks like no luster - XF?

if you are viewing this coin, I would have a pocket electronic scale to check the weight

I do not see any obvious counterfeit signs - but also not a coin I would want

Gray Sheet EF bid is $425.00. Given the fact that is sold for a 17% discount below EF bid tells something about this item. Best to stay away and go for a piece that does not have issues.

And no, I don't care for the coin, and I’m suspicious that it is not genuine.