• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this 1908 China-Chihli Dollar?

9 posts in this topic

56155ff8970efc3fd59514649d56.jpg

Actually it is ICG AU53, which is quite different from AU53 of NGC and PCGS I guess, and how can the grader at ICG miss the obvious dark repair spot?? It should not even give any numeric grade. I feel so sorry with ICG, will stick with NGC, PCGS, ANACS in the future.

I think the slab is genuine, the coin is also genuine just plugged repaired, so disappointed with ICG, how can they let those obviously repaired coin into the slab, the NGC/PCGS/ANACS AU53 are mostly shinning and almost mint state from amature's eye, this one is plugged repaired, cleaned, XF if not VF state, and given AU53 by ICG, I feel that company should seriously think about their standard if they still want to be in the game.

I think the slab is genuine, the coin is also genuine just plugged repaired, so disappointed with ICG, how can they let those obviously repaired coin into the slab, the NGC/PCGS/ANACS AU53 are mostly shinning and almost mint state from amature's eye, this one is plugged repaired, cleaned, XF if not VF state, and given AU53 by ICG, I feel that company should seriously think about their standard if they still want to be in the game.

agreed and i am so sorry for this happening to you my friend

i happen to agree with you i would now ONLY purchase foreign coins in ngc pcgs slabs

and verify to make sure the slab is actually from ngc or pcgs and not a knock off from china

also i think currently ngc leads the way in slabbing foreign coins

with more market acceptance hence more market demand

It does not look plugged to me. If the coin is genuine, then by international standards, I'd say "extremely fine". It doesn't look near-mint, as the ICG grade would suggest.