• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New bannings at another coin forum.

242 posts in this topic

So what if Mark has looked ATS posts recently? If he is interested in seeing what people are posting about over there that is still different IMO from him actually posting ATS.

As to Franklin FBL's both PCGS and NGC IMO have made egregious errors in giving (and also not giving) the designation. NGC standards are tougher (both the upper and lower set of lines need to be complete, whereas for PCGS it is only the lower set of lines that need to be complete), but they have made their fair share of mistakes. I bought a coin at a Goldberg's auction with iffy photography of the FBL based on my perceived perception that NGC was much tougher than PCGS on giving FBL. The coin turned out to be not even close to FBL. Here's an image of it (NGC MS66FBL).

58Frankobv027.jpg

58Frankrev050.jpg

There is a substantial price differential, ~ 3X, between a '58 and a '58FBL in MS66. I mentioned ON THE NGC BOARDS, after I had seen the coin, about how bad the FBL grading was on this coin and NGC to their credit did not make a peep about it. They acted like adults, and I'd like to :golfclap: them for that.

That is a most reasoned response Mark, when you have been wronged, why should you have to kiss the ring while on your knees and ask for forgiveness to be allowed to post there again when you did nothing wrong in the first place. David Hall is being unreasonable and wrong-headed, as he often is in these matters, but all that seems to matter is his feeding his own ego. Truth and justice are not part of the equation ATS.

I was banned for people on the ATS site lying to me, doing wrong by me in a small coin dipping matter which I certainly have certainly never apologized for since they were wrong and do not intend to go back there again. Since they (ATS) will never admit that they did wrongly by me, it is a moot point and sounds as though it is for you as well. You did the right thing by my judgement, Mark, for what it is worth.

Charlie

So what if Mark has looked ATS posts recently? If he is interested in seeing what people are posting about over there that is still different IMO from him actually posting ATS.

Actually, it means that his account is still active - not banned.

greg,

a banned member can view the boards ATS, and if they are present at the time, their yellow light is on.

if they try to post a message, or send a PM, or change their profile - they get a message such as ->

You have been forbidden to post/reply or edit a message in these forums.

In order for your light to be on, you have to be logged in. You can't be logged in if you are banned. The light will show for a while after a person is banned, but hours, not days.

Unless they have changed the software, a banned member can still read the forums, but as an anonymous person, not logged in as a banned member.

In order for your light to be on, you have to be logged in. You can't be logged in if you are banned. The light will show for a while after a person is banned, but hours, not days.

Unless they have changed the software, a banned member can still read the forums, but as an anonymous person, not logged in as a banned member. [/quote

Totally Wrong Gmarguli.. Try this to any member ATS.. Enter his/her name into the login area with any password and when you get the message of "LOGIN DENIED". Pcgs doesn't want you on their site NO MORE!! Try it.

When a recent member finally goes into his acct to try to update something or the member reboots his/her cookies, believe me their done. This happened to me behind my back when I was nuked and tried so hard to find a address of a member over there that bought a freaking 10k+ coin.. thank god I have friends to pm that member for me...

If Mark says he's banned he is.. don't believe the smoke screen of out dated cyber hardware.. George

I agree with Charlie,why should you have to kiss the ring while on your knees and ask for forgiveness 3_7_9v.gif

I love you gif pic.. Kiss it baby, just kiss it..

Based on my readings of this thread and dozens similar to it. I am left to ponder exactly why anyone cares about the actions/gossip etc. going on ATS.

We have a great community here. Populated with newbies like myself, as well as very accomplished collectors, highly regarded dealers and numistmatists.

I am very thankful for the knowledge I have been able to acquire by following various postings and asking questions on this forum. And am grateful for the latitude allowed by our NGC hosts.

Forget about what happens ATS and focus on our forums. This is our turf and simply the one of the best numismatic forums available.

Carl

aka $ilverHawk

Of course, if it gets slow and boring over there, they could always start banning people for what they post over here!

Actually I believe that has happened.

Since we expect that PCGS will be reading what we say, can we request them to make a statement in this forum to explain their position, and their side of the story, a story that is still unfolding?

NGC would pull the plug on this idea, and rightfully so. This would create too many headaches, and wouldn't be worth the time.

based on the way I feel I was treated, I do not plan to ask to be reinstated on the PCGS forum.

Good. So you'll have more time for this forum again (thumbs u

With the welcome new information from recent postings, there are some positives and some negatives. One positive is that with Mark's statement we can gather that his banning was due to an error by David Hall, which implies that if DH mans up to his mistake and makes a few very contrite phone calls, it might still be partly patched up. Even if it leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Thanks to SkyMan's explanation about FBLs, the negative is that PCGS was apparently trying to cover up their grading errors by bannings and censorship. The banning of Bushmaster8 and the deletion of his thread for purposes of an attempted cover-up was reprehensible. To me, that is a major scandal, and it should be front page headline news in the numismatic press.

Yes, it is tempting to ignore the goings on in PCGS across the street. But the numismatic community is networked together and we are all ultimately affected, even if only in a negative way, by what happens over there, if it diminishes respect for numismatics.

We all feel the pain when there is a numismatic robbery, fraud, counterfeiting, and other blights, so doesn't that also apply to such shenanigans as a miscarriage of justice in a nasty banning, and censorship in an apparent attempt to conceal errors in grading?

wow for years Ive been scratching my head wondering where everyone disappeared to, now I know :acclaim:

I must admit I posted across the street that I was glad Mark got bammed, as its the only time i hear from him, and low and behold I had an email 5 seconds later lol

big hi to all old friends, steelheader, michael, conder, gregm, braddick, fats, geesh I could go on forever. I think maybe Ill hang on dis side of the street.

Of course, if it gets slow and boring over there, they could always start banning people for what they post over here!
Actually I believe that has happened.

Since we expect that PCGS will be reading what we say, can we request them to make a statement in this forum to explain their position, and their side of the story, a story that is still unfolding?

NGC would pull the plug on this idea, and rightfully so. This would create too many headaches, and wouldn't be worth the time.

Yes, you're right about that. Isn't it ironic that if PCGS members want to know what is going on, they have to find out from other forums, since theirs is censored? The persons in control at PCGS might monitor other forums, but would never try to post anything elsewhere to explain themselves, because it would be tantamount to an admission that such matters are taboo on their own site.

Delta, with all due respect what is with the axe grinding posts and posts and posts? We all get it. MJ

Mark Feld is a nice guy from a few of the pms I've had with him......very helpful person. I hope he continues to keep posting here and ATS.

Well, since the whole point of this thread was that Mark Feld got banned ATS.... I'd say someone forgot to eat their Wheaties this morning.

Mark Feld is a nice guy from a few of the pms I've had with him......very helpful person. I hope he continues to keep posting here and ATS.

Well, since the whole point of this thread was that Mark Feld got banned ATS.... I'd say someone forgot to eat their Wheaties this morning.

laughingviking.gif

Delta, with all due respect what is with the axe grinding posts and posts and posts? We all get it. MJ

You're probably right I've posted too much on this, and in a previous message FatMan cautioned me about sounding like having an agenda. One reason for me making so many comments is that the participants are limited and restrained in what they can say. They can be accused of sour grapes. Or an axe to grind. Other people may wish to protect themselves from various forms of retaliation or alienation, and prefer to keep quiet. My advantage in posting about this is I consider myself impartial. Don't know anybody at any of the TPGs, or anybody banned, or even anyone else active in on-line coin forums. I've no financial involvement whatsoever. Except for patronizing NGC & PCGS and three other TPGs in a small way. I like PCGS almost equally as much as NGC and appreciate their wonderful contributions to numismatics, and consider them both and other TPGs worthy of admiration and support.

My own agenda and axe is I strongly feel that legitimate numismatic topics, discussed politely and reasonably, should not be swept under the rug. Not censored. Not punished with banishments. There are a couple more angles to this not yet mentioned.

hahahaha, I read the thread and who knows maybe he will be allowed back ATS But either way I was stating that I really like how Mr Feld is such a helpful person.

hahahaha, I read the thread and who knows maybe he will be allowed back ATS But either way I was stating that I really like how Mr Feld is such a helpful person.

I've always had a great amount of respect for Mark and have always appreciated his contributions here.

If I were Mark, which I'm not, and they said I could return ATS, I would thank them but never bother posting ever again.

"Machine-screw" me once - shame on you,

"Machine-screw" me twice - shame on me!

Chris

Actually, it means that his account is still active - not banned.

It means nothing.

The way to tell if someone has been banned is by simply attempting to logon to the account.

When logging on to the PCGS Forums, if you supply an invalid password, you'll receive:

InvalidCredentials.jpg

When accounts are banned, regardless of what password is supplied, the login NEVER gets past the account name to the password and simply presents:

Coinguy1LoginDenied.jpg

I believe that Fusetalks works like this:

When users login to Fusetalk and select the REMEMBER ME box, Fusetalk will write a cookie to the users PC indentifying the PC and account name. This enables "convenience" in that all you need to do to get access to the forums is to click a link and then "voila!", you're logged in and ready to post. I use it all the time instead of having to "login" each time I visit.

Fusetalk also keeps track of who visits the forum and updates the users profile with that information. If a user gets banned from posting and logging on but never has the opportunity to logoff (such as Mark) then Fusetalk will continue to update that users Profile since the system thinks the account is still logged on. It'll remain that way until the PCGS Server gets rebooted but since its designed to always be available, it could be many months before that occurs.

Regardless of what Marks Profile states, he's been banned from posting BUT since the "cookie" written to his PC (by Fusetalk) is read each time he "visits" the forum, I expect that Fusetalk uses that information to update his profile even though he cannot post.

Once Mark erases that "cookie", Fusetalk will cease to update his "profile" when he vists the forum since he'll only visit as an anonomous "guest".

Mark has not logged out or rebooted his pc. That's all it is.

Lance.

Rebooting won;t change the situation, the Fusetalk cookie needs to get erased. The Fusetalk Cookies are permanent until acted upon by the user (i.e. erase cookies).

I feel confident that Mark has rebooted his laptop several times between his banning and today since leaving them on is a bit tough on the batteries.

Mark communicated the whole episode to me. Since it was a private convo I'll keep it private. However, since it was a post in an open forum that got him banned I can comment on that.

First, it's PCGS's ball and playground and they can do whatever they want with it. That has been made abundantly clear by them. In the end they basically told Mark to go pound sand by their actions.

Mark made a comment in a thread that was actually a backhanded compliment in my opinion. Obviously, someone only saw in only as a backhand. Someone was not pleased.Some one issued a red card. If cooler heads were to prevail Mark would be reinstated. However, I wouldn't hold my breath. MJ

I made a post in that thread also and am surprised I didnt get the boot, even though I wrote nothing disparaging.

Mark and Greg are straight shooters. They'll be missed ATS.