• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New bannings at another coin forum.

242 posts in this topic

The sad news is that a prominent coin company's discussion forum yesterday banned two highly respected expert numismatists, namely coinguy1 (= Mark Feld) and bushmaster8 (= Greg Schwiing). Although it was that company's prerogative to ban anyone they don't want there, it appears to have been a very strange and anomalous case, because both those numismatists were known for going out of their way to share their knowledge, and were both reputed to be honest, forthright, and had long histories of making helpful and insightful posts.

A subsequent thread discussing the bannings with almost 200 messages was then suddenly removed from the site today, and it's possible that additional bannings were made. In that deleted discussion thread, several posters pointed out that that original bannings were apparently due to a failure in reading comprehension, in that the banning person(s) misunderstood the statements of at least Mark Feld. Various other persons chimed in to say that Mark was one of their favorite posters, and that he had contributed many thousands of positive and instructive posts over the years, and that the banning site's procedures reminded him of Soviet Russia. A few mentioned the NGC Chat rooms across the street as having a more congenial atmosphere although with a lower volume of messages.

Very sad indeed. I started that thread when Mark didn't an answer a PM. He was still logged in so he could see PM's, just not respond. An email from him explained the sorry story.

It was very disturbing to learn bushmaster was also banned. Both guys are widely regarded as exceptionally talented and the PCGS boards will miss them.

I enjoy ATS because of its high traffic and the many expert members. But the autocracy is wearing thin. Sure, the forum is run on PCGS's nickel and I get that they can do what they want. But their heavy hand will drive members away.

I became more active here a little while ago for just this reason. I hope this forum benefits from PCGS's missteps.

Lance.

Just another example of very poor management decisions by PCGS.

I'm "All In" here at NGC. :)

All my grading fee's have been going to NGC for quite a while now.

This may be considered Sleepy Hollow, but at least we are given a HUGE amount of latitude when expressing our opinions. If someone here should complain about NGC, they just take it all in stride, and I've never seen anyone banned for expressing those opinions.

Chris

At least Mark got to be banned twice :juggle: ... At any rate, other coin forums are essentially irrelevant to me anymore. NGC is by far my favorite (only) place to virtually "hang out".

No longer do you need to write in words and post, mere thoughts can get you terminated.

Plastic_Educator.jpg

It's not just a mess kit, it's other things. :eyeroll:

bloodhound-1.jpg

Well I could say that I am sad about this but Im not... at least if that means both spend more time over here since Im not a member ATS.... More for us !!!

If not then a lot of collectors and dealers will lose 2 great sources of numismatic information....

PCGS continues to be one of the worse companies in regards to public relations ....

NGC just seems to grow stronger in that area as well as customer service in my opinion.

The Scientist is always welcome at our fire.

The thing I appreciate most about the Scientist (second only to his knowledge) is his candor.

Cheers

OP

Various other persons chimed in to say that Mark was one of their favorite posters, and that he had contributed many thousands of positive and instructive posts over the years, and that the banning site's procedures reminded him of Soviet Russia.

Well that comment probably did lead to other bannings. PCGS does NOT like being depicted in an unflattering matter and comparing them to Soviet Russia is not going to make them happy. The thread disappeared because they practice a heavy censorship on anything that they don't like. They want to project a united happy happy joy joy face to the world

I have "looked" in their site only once. Not impressed. Yes, they have plenty of post but found them not easy reading. What I do know is this site is member friendly. It is rare to see "sharp post" but sometimes, that is the way it needs to be.

NGC is my home, appreciate the views, comments, and information shared.

Chet

coinguy1 and bushmaster8 are both top numismatists and both gentlemen. I am quite sure what was written was spot on and PCGS just can't take the heat. I would welcome a higher level of participation at NGC by both these fine gentlemen.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the people who did the unjustified PCGS bannings this time (as well as the previous unjustified bannings) are petty, small-minded, short-sighted, dumb, and bad representatives of numismatics. They are bad for that company, for its reputation, its stock price, its volume of submissions for grading, its bottom line, and they are bad for numismatics in general. After all, even though we're over here in the relative safety of NGC, it is still disillusioning to see stalwarts of the numismatic community mistreated.

Instead of being banned, both of those two gentlemen should have been awarded gold stickers on their foreheads for excellence, as are given in kindergarten for exceptional merit, and as we attach to the slabs of especially choice coins.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the people who did the unjustified PCGS bannings this time (as well as the previous unjustified bannings) are petty, small-minded, short-sighted, dumb, and bad representatives of numismatics. They are bad for that company, for its reputation, its stock price, its volume of submissions for grading, its bottom line, and they are bad for numismatics in general. After all, even though we're over here in the relative safety of NGC, it is still disillusioning to see stalwarts of the numismatic community mistreated.

Instead of being banned, both of those two gentlemen should have been awarded gold stickers on their foreheads for excellence, as are given in kindergarten for exceptional merit, and as we attach to the slabs of especially choice coins.

Of course, if it gets slow and boring over there, they could always start banning people for what they post over here!

Chris

My recommendation for you is to just stop thinking about it. You are now coming across as someone who has an agenda and not someone who is relaying information and concerns.

As a member of the PCGS bammed group I respect the fact that it is their playground and they get to make the rules. PCGS decides who gets to play and who doesn't for whatever reasons they choose.

Hi! What do you mean by having an agenda? I don't have a specific agenda, no financial stake, I don't know either of those banned gentlemen, have done no business with them, and I've never been banned from posting anywhere myself. Also I have nothing in general against PCGS, although some of their bannings, such as these two, were atrocious (and I have a gripe against their continued use of the label first strike which I consider a scam). But in the final analysis, we all have agendas, don't we? For one, I'd like to see numismatics be a successful pursuit, and I'd like to see it be characterized by more politeness and greater honesty.

I don't know about anyone else but I think that Alien Robot on the cover of that comic book has great taste in women! Or is that a movie poster?

Various other persons chimed in to say that Mark was one of their favorite posters, and that he had contributed many thousands of positive and instructive posts over the years, and that the banning site's procedures reminded him of Soviet Russia.

Well that comment probably did lead to other bannings. PCGS does NOT like being depicted in an unflattering matter and comparing them to Soviet Russia is not going to make them happy. The thread disappeared because they practice a heavy censorship on anything that they don't like. They want to project a united happy happy joy joy face to the world

How is that working out?? hm

I don't know about anyone else but I think that Alien Robot on the cover of that comic book has great taste in women! Or is that a movie poster?

But, what can he possibly do with her?

Chris

"Robby the Robot." He could make whiskey by the gallon, but was just the delivery guy for Anne Francis' charms.

This is one SiFi movie that deserves a really good remake. The "monster" is within, and when we lose control it will destroy us, as it did the Krell.

I was at Sacramento while all this went down so I don't know what got Mark bammed. I know that Bushie got bammed because he started a thread warning people about the Franklins with PCGS FBL at the recently concluded Heritage auction. He mentioned that many of the slabbed FBL's were NOT FBL and bidders should be aware of this. He was, of course, absolutely correct.

EDITED TO ADD: Forbidden Planet was the "Star Wars" of it's day. It was so far beyond any of the other SciFi movies of the period that it's not even funny. Talking about funny, in the movie, Leslie Nielson is all serious... the captain of the ship. I was used to him being a comedic actor, so it was interesting to see him in a "serious" role.