• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dust on coins?

8 posts in this topic

When you recieve coins submitted in flips, you are bound to get some with specks of dust or other fine material. Do you use canned air or something to blow the coins off, in order to remove any foreign material?

Phil

Snizzenfixit,

Every coin and every holder is blown with compressed air as part of the encapsulation process. This process rids the coin and holder of any foreign materially that has not adhered itself to the surfaces.

John

Nice to hear that NGC blows the dust away before encaptulation. Come to think of it, I've never had such a problem with and NGC coin, but have had multiple PCGS coins with dust all over them.

Hoot

That is great, as a kind of follow up question, what measures are taken to insure that the compressed air is free of contaminants? A small piece of dirt could have a devastating sandblast effect on an otherwise near perfect coin.

Phil

Phil,

I am more familiar with the grading end of things, but I believe the lines that carry the air and any other removable parts are periodically inspected. After 15 years of encapsulating and 7,000,000 coins later, there have been no incidents I am aware of involving damage to a coin caused by blowing air on them.

John