• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

Middlesex/ Spence's Coins. D&H-719 Ex Dr. Allen Bennett

I have been waiting for this one for many years.

For a nice fully struck, gemmy RB.

Got my new image done of this one

58f977ce.png

Very nice CRF!

Finally, my Conder winnings from the last Dix Noonan Webb Auction in October (?) have come back from NGC, submitted at the Money Show in early December so not too bad of turn around time given the holidays. I got the grades I expected with the exception of this one below. I contend they screwed up by one to two points, this is an MS65 IMHO, the cartwheel luster booms, rich multicolored toning when the coin is tilted in the light at the right angle, rich brown patina in the light under other angles. A couple fine nicks but I have seen much worse in NGC 65 copper... Hey but I don't care what the grade is because I just wanted it in a holder for preservation and presentation but still.......

On the edge, which can be view in the nice NGC EdgeView holders:

"I PROMISE TO PAY ON DEMAND THE BEARER ONE PENNY"

Gotta love those Edge Views, I will get all of my Conders into these at some point.

Best, HT

DH-134MiddlesexNGCMS63CFL.jpg

And yet another stellar Conder .... the red really outlines the castle keep and makes for a simply stunning impression much like the setting sun. :D

Wendy

You took the words right out of my mouth! :grin:

Thanks Wendy and HiHo - I didn't even think about the sunset on the obverse. I did not quite capture the reverse well, I only got the multi-hue toning above the globe on one side, so I will need to go back and reshoot. But the only red on the token is on the obverse outlining the castle tower, it is as if the toning gods were thinking of a sunset for sure!

These pennies are big and heavy, a real solid feel in the hand. Makes me want to go out and collect British pennies of the era as well.......

Best, Al

Hard Times, nice penny! I agree 63 seems too conservative. The size and heft of the Conder pennies makes them particularly desirable to me.

Here's Matthew Young's penny engraved by J. Milton.

607d1828.jpg

OK ... letting off a little steam here.

I bid and won on a nicely toned, Unc. token on eBay, Kempson’s London Landmark Series Trinity Alms House, and for a very good price ... and then PayPal throws my account into a review! The seller not only reverses the sale but now has me blocked from bidding on anything else in his shop which has many interesting items.

Makes me want to shove my renewed interest in collecting back into the closet again all together.

Grrrrrrr

Wendy

Wendy that is nuts! Did you ask the vendor if they would take a check or money order until this gets cleared up! Sounds awful. :facepalm:

Yarm that is another stunner, yes the pennies have that desirable heft for sure.

Dorsetshire Poole 6 edge check. This is a fairly common token (the example below with die clashing) with the edge per D&H of

"I promise to pay on demand one halfpenny . + ."

The images of the edge below seem to show something like an asterisk * between I and promise and overlapping of the . + . with halfpenny.

If you have one of these tokens, would you take a peek at the edge to see if this matches? I'd be interested in any ideas of how this occurred.

0417ff5d.jpg

9668e12e.jpg

a7eab44a.jpg

MiddlesexDH455PidcocksExhibition.png

Middlesex-455 Pidcock's Exhibition

Not bad, just wish that spot would disappear ...

I just won this exact token on eBay and when I receive it and post a photo you will say to yourself, "Maybe mine isn't that bad after all."

They can't all be MS65. :whistle:

Hertfordshire 2 is a specious token by Denton which has about as "busy" a design as you'll find in the Conder series. A close examination of the reverse

suggests that the die was adapted from a die used for several other Conder tokens. The eighteen lions were added around the border to obscure the prior legend

and other features were added as well.

Any Conder aficionados out there who can identify the original design and legend? Hint-Both of the reverse designs were also used to produce farthings.

MergedHertfordshire2.jpg

ComparisonrevM1031andHert2.jpg

Edited by yarm

MiddlesexDH455PidcocksExhibition.png

Middlesex-455 Pidcock's Exhibition

Not bad, just wish that spot would disappear ...

I just won this exact token on eBay and when I receive it and post a photo you will say to yourself, "Maybe mine isn't that bad after all."

They can't all be MS65. :whistle:

Hi Ho,

I finally saw this Conder in hand after my return from overseas (the above was the seller's picture) ... much better than what I expected .... to me it's a stunner. I am playing with the lighting now to caputure all the wonderful copper toning and will post it as soon as I can get something close awes me.

There's no really good place to post this one, and it's closest in "type" to the Conders. Thus, I decided to post it here.

124093.jpg.92659b0c3872faff0bf139cd555cceef.jpg

124094.jpg.e6a52f4ee316fc238339c7e601e03b65.jpg

BRG Nice token... love the two-headed swan. Do you know any details on it? I've seen similiar Conders, but this one looks a little more modern like early 1800's

Hi Cyber, you are correct. It's from around 1810. Here is a link to the description:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?sc=163673

I am extremely happy to add this piece to my collection from yarm. For any of you that have not dealt with yarm, I can't rave enough about the quality of pieces from his collection and the joy it is to deal with him as a seller.

:headbang:

124219.jpg.3de912a5fc20f39d0aa081a28f4d8cb1.jpg

Are Conder tokens just what's published in D&H, no more, no less?

Or are they British tokens produced between 1787 and sometime in the first decade of the 1800's?

Or is it enough that they be British tokens DATED in that interval?

What do you think?

Illustrations

What about this one, Buckinghamshire 24, dated 1794 but produced decades after the end of the Conder era by William Till?

MergedBuckinghamshire2453.jpg

Or this one from Devonshire? Included in R.C.Bell's book on Tradesmen's Tickets and Private Tokens, it was issued by W. Upcott as a private token in 1801 and restruck decades later. Are the originals Conders? How about the restrikes?

MergedDevonshireUpcott14.jpg

Or this one attributed to Spence but "dated" 1780? Conder token?

MergedBHM2272.jpg

Edited by yarm

Norfolk 11 - one of the first Conder tokens I acquired. The surfaces are a bit scratched up, but the luster is incredible for something this old. In a NGC64 holder.

Norfolk11reverse2.jpgNorfolk11obverse.jpg