• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

Those numbers for the rarities should probably be for the number known or estimated to be known not the number struck. In the case of some of the pieces made for collectors we know the number struck but there are many cases of tokens with high rarities where we DON'T know the number struck but we know how often it is seen or even the number of pieces known.

Beautiful tokens farthing. I especially like the 707.

I was going to bid on a few Spence pieces in the Davisson auction, including a Spence mislabeled as a Pidcock, but my wife convinced me that a week in Florida would be better. For us. :grin:

DH-149LancashireNGCMS64PLcomp.jpg

Hardtimes, that is BEAUTIFUL! I have been looking for one of those for some time for my horse collection. For now I just have to admire yours. If you ever care to part with that beauty, I am definitely interested!

Cheers,

-Brandon

Brandon, I would part with it, but one of my themes for Conders is 'sheep', you see the problem here...... But I will keep an eye out for you, if I come across any horse themed Conders sans sheep, or another of this one, I will let you know.

Best, HT

That is a Middlesex 830 or 830a depending on the edge (PAYABLE AT SHREWSBURY is 830, 830a has a plain edge. 830 is very rare roughly 13 to 31 pieces, 830a is listed as being common.) These are part of a series attributed to Thomas Spence. This attribution is very questionable as Thomas Spence was in general agreement with the writings of Thomas Paine and highly respected him.

The Spence tokens are very popular and are widely and eagerly collected. This causes them to be much higher priced than other tokens of similar rarity. Especially the End of Pain series pieces.

Edited by Conder101

OK thanks. Mine is the plain edge 830a. I actually found the ticket from the place I bought it and it also says "Ex Neil Beaton" collection. Anyone know whom that was or is? I have seen these pieces in nice shape sell for crazy money. I paid $200 for this one because of the planchet flaw. Not sure if that was a good price, but at the time it was all I could afford. Something about the design made me have to have it.

I know some of the important Conder collections but not all of them (still learning) Unfortunately I don't recognize that one. I would think $200 For that one is maybe a little high. I would think closer to $150 or $175. If it wasn't a Spence End of Pain piece, just a run of the mill Conder, it would be more like $25.

But it is and End Of Pain piece so good luck getting one for $25 or $50. I bought it from across the pond so the currency conversion cost me a bit as well. I thought $200 was a fair price if a bit on the high side. I haven't seen an intact example for less than $1000 and I had to have one, so I bought it.

I paid a lot for this token and NGC won't even certify it. "Not suitable" they say.

446-comp.jpg

Nevertheless it is rare and I am happy to own it.

PS - If you are going to collect Conders BigG you need to become acquainted with Bill McKivor. He is honest and has some great material priced very fairly.

Here is his link.....

http://www.thecoppercorner.com/

very nice Pidcock's with an interesting cracked planchet. I don't know why NGC did not put it in a Details holder if they believed the planchet was an issue.

Here is a nice proof-like - hard to image the blue in the lower field as shown is actually pervasive on the reverse but hard to image.

I like the et cetera at the end of the advert where the die maker did not have enough space to put it in so was creative with a '&c'

DH-191WarwickshireNGCMS63PL.jpg

Two beautiful tokens Hard Times, I especially like the defiant look on the sheep on the Bedfordshire. Like it's saying...

"Shear ME? You sure you want to?" :grin:

Hi Wendy,

There are several online dealers of Conders, check out their websites and read some of what they say about them. There is also the Conder Token Collector Club, their journal is pretty good. The dealer sites list a plethora of reference books.

Here are some links:

CTCC

Cheapside

McKivor

Groll

Two beautiful tokens Hard Times, I especially like the defiant look on the sheep on the Bedfordshire. Like it's saying...

"Shear ME? You sure you want to?" :grin:

Thanks HiHo, yup that be a tough sheep......

Hard Times,

Thanks so much for the links. I haven't looked at my coin collection for years (mainly gold purchased in the 90's) and these tokens have fired up my interest in the hobby again. From the looks of it I will be doing a lot of research (and perhaps a smidge of drooling) over the holidays looking at all these wonderful specimens. I wonder if Santa is still checking his list?

HI Wendy,

Glad you are getting interested. Conder tokens are in my view, a truly undervalued series, but alot of folks are starting see what this series has to offer and it won't be long before 'truly undervalued' changes to just 'undervalued'. But they are a fantastic series to collect and so diverse, so many ways to collect them. Enjoy your holiday drooling!

Best, HT

I haven't looked at my coin collection for years (mainly gold purchased in the 90's).....

I think you'll find that these gold coins have appreciated quite a bit since then, and will give you the resources to afford LOTS of interesting Conders! :grin:

Hush, the last thing we Conder collectors need is more well monied competition. Prices have risen enough. :) I long for the days when I used to buy MS pieces for $20. And they weren't that long ago.

Edited by Conder101

EB,

If that is the only one you have it's a good one to have. Known as the Washington Grate half penny it comes in two varieties Midd D&H 283 and 284. I do believe it is listed in the Redbook which makes it sought after and considerably more expensive than it should be for its rarity.

The 283 is rated as common and of course is the one most commonly seen. I would think a 283 in the condition of yours would probably sell in the $200 to $300 range. The 284 is rated as Rare and would probably bring twice those figures. I got my 284 a few years back and I paid $285 for it.

You have a 284.

Thanks, Hard Times and HiHoAudio :)

Finally got my Bucks in the mail .... it's gorgeous, but a lot browner with undertones rather than the hot pictures above. The coin is definitely MS, but I still have to get a better camera before I take my own picture to share.

Until then I have my eyes on another :). Dang this is getting expensive fast lol You guys sure got in at the right time!

Here is a nice Lady Britannia, I try to collect Conders with her on one side. This token commemorates 'The Glorious First of June' in 1794 when the Brits hammered the French Republic during their war of that time, the British Navy was commanded by Richard Howe, aka Earl Howe.

Here is a Wikipedia link on the battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_First_of_June

DH-23HampshireNGCMS64RBcomp.jpg

Edited by Hard Times