• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

Not to mention Conder tokens were only 1786 or 7 to 1801. They already have general token listing directly above the Condor listing that is 1600 to date. They need to either correct the date range or drop it completely lest you get slabs with 17th century tradesman tokens or 19th century bank tokens in holders labeled as Condors.

Not to mention Conder tokens were only 1786 or 7 to 1801. They already have general token listing directly above the Condor listing that is 1600 to date. They need to either correct the date range or drop it completely lest you get slabs with 17th century tradesman tokens or 19th century bank tokens in holders labeled as Condors.

Yikes I wonder what their shareholders think if this.......... :facepalm:

Super common, but I finally found one of the Oxfordshire DH-1 pieces for my collection.

NGC thought to call it a "penny" on the label, despite it being a halfpenny token. (shrug)

What can you do, right? ;)

1790_Oxfordshire_DH1_NGC_MS64BN_composite_zpsbygjtvp0.jpg

I once owned the Yorkshire 63 halfpenny pictured below. It depicted York Minster cathedral on the obverse. Notice the date spills over the exergue a bit.

Fast forward to 1829 when York cathedral suffers a lot of damage from an intentionally set fire. There were significant fundraising efforts to repair the cathedral at the time.

I came acros the uniface silver medal below which appears to have been produced by the same obverse die used for Yorkshire 63 reworked to leave room in the exergue for an inscription. I'm guessing the inscription was engraved rather than incorporated in the die. The remnants of the 5 from the original date are still visible.

The sharp edges of the reverse suggest it was mounted or otherwise attached to something.

Yorkshire%20York%2063.jpgyorkshire%2063.jpg

yorkshire%2063%20rev.jpg

Edited by yarm

My only win from the recent DNW sale arrived today. Listed as Northumberland 24 with "hubbing marks" on the reverse, it resembles the example in D&H (including the flaw on the window of the building) except for the alignment of the lettering within the exergue.

Merged%20Northumberland%2024%202.jpg

Edited by yarm

Yarm,

I would have to imagine it has some verbiage on the "third side"....

Just a plain edge on this one.

D&H indicates that plain edge tokens were struck in copper and silver. Several plain edge silver versions without the obverse flaw on the building have appeared at auction but I've yet to find one without the flaw in copper.

From the recent DNW sale.

Image1forWeb%20holed.jpg

The Duke of Northumberland's pass in Noble '98.

0486a.jpg

0486b.jpg

Edited by yarm

Do any of your Conder tokens have a "B" punched near the date?

This Middlesex 310b has what appears to be a tiny "B" punched below the date. Other tokens that have shown up with the same marking in recent years are Middlesex 7,Middlesex 24 (two of these including the cover token of CTCC Journal #55), Leicester 2, Cheshire 3 and Yorkshire 28.

Baldwin’s footnote to lot 1179, Leicester 2, in their Basement II auction read:

“The “B” punched under the date is identical to that found on numerous 18th Century tokens, including many rare and of the highest quality. It is almost certainly the initial of an important collector but the owner remains a mystery.”

Merged%20Middlesex%20310b.jpg

P1010068%201%20copy.jpg

Edited by yarm

Yarm,

I have looked through the information I have saved from auction catalogues and did not find any reference to a countermarked B on any token.  I do record in my notes when the auction notes inked or countermarked tokens.  I agree that it is likely a collector's mark.

I think we need a forum just for Conder Tokens - so we can chat about them and learn from each other.

A few of mine.

Really nice cud on this first guy.  I love the technically interesting ones: cuds, late die states etc...

Mid 751 - obv. & rev - Spence's private token - he asked for one to be buried with him and they supposedly complied. 

Wiltshire 21r - love this reverse with the camel crest

Mid 64 cud.JPG

Mid 751.JPG

Mid 751r.JPG

wiltshire 21r.JPG

Just popped in to see what Yarm had new.

I haven't seen a new Pidcock in over a year. Did I buy them all?

It's been 11 years since I made up a want list of Conder tokens. Finally won this one in  the current Dix Noonan sale. Cambridgeshire 11, "Wyon's penny". I expect it will look a lot browner than DNW's image.

Image1forWeb.thumb.jpg.25f8cccf7f61ecef6dbe5a599c2d73d1.jpg