• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New #1 in the Silver Roosie Registry!

160 posts in this topic

I have been offered a once in a lifetime opportunity and i dont really know if I will be in the roosevelt series next year. Its is great and fun battles in this registery. If I ever descide to sell, I would sel my whole collection together,nothing will be broken up. I am not sure of this descision yet. I would keep a few low grade extra coins just just to keep my name in here.

You're doing yourself a huge disservice in a poor economy in keeping the set together. You will necessarily restrict the number of opportunities and bids for your coin collection. I cannot speak for others, but I can say that there are individual pieces in your set that I would like, but I wouldn't want every coin especially given that there would be some duplicates.

I hope things work out for you. Is your "opportunity" in another set? Best of luck either way.

I strongly disagree, the premium on Paul's set is it's placement in the registry to some degree. Breaking the set up makes it worth less then the sum of the parts in this case. This is a weak market and many of Paul's coins would not probably sell individually for more than he paid for them, probably less in some cases. Personally I think that Paul's decision to possibly sell as set is a sound one.

I strongly disagree, the premium on Paul's set is it's placement in the registry to some degree. Breaking the set up makes it worth less then the sum of the parts in this case. This is a weak market and many of Paul's coins would not probably sell individually for more than he paid for them, probably less in some cases. Personally I think that Paul's decision to possibly sell as set is a sound one.

This is a weak market??? Please tell me where you got this? I haven't been in the Roosie market long (3-4 years) but I'm sure a few of the guys that have been aroundthe block will tell you that's the farthest from the truth. In comparison to a few years ago it's night and day!

Selling single coins is always hit and miss and dependent on each individual collectors needs. With that being said I'm sure Paul could make some $$$ on a few of his better coins and not recover from a few that he overpaid for.

I do agree with your last statement about selling...if you are going to do it you might as well sell the set unless you have an offer on a few coins that you can't pass up.

Brian

This is a weak market??? Please tell me where you got this? I haven't been in the Roosie market long (3-4 years) but I'm sure a few of the guys that have been aroundthe block will tell you that's the farthest from the truth. In comparison to a few years ago it's night and day!

Selling single coins is always hit and miss and dependent on each individual collectors needs. With that being said I'm sure Paul could make some $$$ on a few of his better coins and not recover from a few that he overpaid for.

I do agree with your last statement about selling...if you are going to do it you might as well sell the set unless you have an offer on a few coins that you can't pass up.

Brian

So do you agree with the notion of a registry set being worth more together than if the pieces were sold individually? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

Supply & demand dictates prices IMO. There is no one right answer to your question. If a set is filled with one of a kind coins it could bring a premium as a set or if sold individually. If you start looking at coins that are pop 1 or 2 you can always expect them to be in demand. The only way a coin with a an increased pop is worth a premium is if it's a quality coin (see my 49P MS67*).

In speaking with a dealer this morning he was quick to point out the lack of interest in "white" coinsunless they are high end and the increased interest in "star" graded coins. Once again IMO white coins are much easier to come by than a beautiful star graded coin, hence the growing demand for these beauties.

We could debate this forever, which is always fun, but like I said there is no single right answer to all of this.

Brian

Brian

So do you agree with the notion of a registry set being worth more together than if the pieces were sold individually? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

No one collector or investor is going to purchase an ENTIRE registry set. The best way to sell a registry set is to auction it off as a whole set; in one auction (advertised as such) BUT with each coin as an INDIVIDUAL LOT. This way, it is touted as a complete set but different people can bid on and purchase each coin, individually. This will bring the strongest prices (for the seller). That is the best way to sell a set like this.....complete yet separate.

Okay, I've read the last few posts about selling Paul's Roosie set, or any high grade registry set, whole or in pieces. The last statement about nobody is going to buy an entire registry set whole is either ridiculous, or my name is "nobody"! I tried to count up the number of entire complete registry sets I've purchased over the last ten years or so, and I believe the count is seven, but I may have forgotten a few. And I know of several other collectors that have done the same thing many times.

It is often the best route to both starting a registry set and significantly improving an existing set. Twice I started my sets this way, but most of the times I have done it, it was to merge with a set I already had. I would pick off the coins that were better than the examples I had, and sell off the lesser coins. It obviously usually requires a rather large upfront investment, and then the time and patience to sell off the leftover coins, but every time I have done it, it has worked out very favorably for me. Amazing what you can do when you cut out the roughly 15% or more that goes to either an auction company or consignment dealer, between buyers and sellers fees, etc.

I will say that the sets I have bought were top notch and full of very nice coins. They all came highly recommended by experts in their respective series. And I wouldn't say I bought them for bargain prices, but to the contrary, most of the sets I paid strong money for. I wouldn't tell just anyone to do it, but if the set is really choice, and the seller is motivated, it can work out very nicely. Seller gets all his money quickly, not having to wait for all the delays and added costs going the auction route, or the long time delay that can be involved selling the coins themselves or through consignment. And the buyer gets to cherry pick the great coins.

I'm not endorsing Paul's set either way. I haven't viewed it personally and I wouldn't presume to advise him either way. I wish him the best whatever he chooses to do. But the statement that nobody buys an entire registry set made me laugh.

You are correct but let me clarify. It really depends on the series! People buy WHOLE FRANKLIN and other MODERN sets all the time, b/c it is much easier. There is a very SMALL percentage of people who, for instance, would/could buy a complete MS Bust Half set or MS Liberty seated Half, Dollar or dime set and if you can do it...more power to you!

No one collector or investor is going to purchase an ENTIRE registry set. The best way to sell a registry set is to auction it off as a whole set;

Not true! My Lablover Barkaroosie Roosie Set (#1 in 08 and 09) sold as a complete set to a fellow Roosevelt Collector.

No one collector or investor is going to purchase an ENTIRE registry set. The best way to sell a registry set is to auction it off as a whole set;

Not true! My Lablover Barkaroosie Roosie Set (#1 in 08 and 09) sold as a complete set to a fellow Roosevelt Collector.

Sorry guys, I was wrong. I stand corrected. :)

Again, this has been one of the best threads on the forum in some time. Keep it going! Perhaps Dan could change or add to the title now that it isnt all about the new #1 Silver Roosie Registry.

I think Dan's strategy is sound. Many companies purchase their competition, sell the inferior products and keep the best. No reason it shouldnt work with coins too. While I havent seen every piece, I have had the opportunity to view several of Paul's coins in person and they were very nice. If I had the money, I would love to have Paul's collection. That would shake up the rankings even more!

I havent been on in a few days,working on my new buisness venture...2 years ago,I was offered a huge sum for my set.. I didnt even hesitate when I turned him down..It would been great with that amount of cash. It is hard for me to part with a 68*FT. there are damn near impossible to replace...Ms68ft are hard..the star makes it impossible....The roosevelts series is the most difficult to complete in modern coins because of the torch...all other coins are just 68's roosevelts can be a 68 or a 68Ft....

It is a weak market. I have been selectively buying classical coins for 10-15% under Grey Sheet all year! Even bullion coins (widgets) are weak now because of the high metals price on silver. Go to the PCGS sheets and look at the real world weekly negatives of many classical coins that are in some cases, selling for 30% back of sheet in some series. Some are even gold coins in the face of a $1400 bullion market.

Maybe you "dime in the sky guys" have your head in the collective ozone.Although the top-pop's in many areas are at very high prices now, this is not the case for many series.

When you're talking about an MS68*FT Silver Roosie you're talking about a coin that is usually a pop 3 or lower and a top pop. When you have 3 top sets in the registry wanting these coins it definitely holds prices firm. At this moment the top 3 sets are all within 800 points of each other. One addition to anyone one of these sets puts the set in 1st place, and there's still 11 months until registry deadline.

The best advice I can give about selling your set is:

Sell when someone wants to buy it not when you want to sell it. You can put it out there that your set may be available for sale. But as soon as you say "my set is for sale" you've just devalued it.

Nick, Jim and Bill,

What an awesome time at FUN...I can't wait till next year! For those that weren't able to make it and/or haven't been, you need to take a few days out of the schedule and make the trip. Orlando will be even more "FUN".

It was great putting faces with names. I'm happy to say we truly have a great bunch of Roosie collectors. It's also official, Bill has the prettiest Roosie set in the world!

Once again, thanks for a great time.

Brian

We all had a great time at FUN and it sure was a treat to view Bill's set. It will probably be another 10 years before he shows it again. The "star" shined at FUN. Attractively toned NGC star dimes with or without FT were white hot. Over $25K worth of NGC star dimes changed hands at the show. It goes to show that in the long run quality pays off. Brian had some beautiful Dimes that everyone was clamoring to get at, and these were just his dups.

I see the top 3 sets have changed position again. 2 & 3 flip flopped. Brian is still charging ahead with a couple additions. Rainbowroosie added over 6000 points and he tells me he has more coming.

Still a lot of activity in the Roosies. Have Fun

Nick

Thanks Nick,

You and Jim preached "quality" since day 1 and I bought the best with the resources I had. In doing so some of the 67's I picked up along the way were "quality" coins and able to receive the + from NGC which in my opinion are going to explode in the coming years. The other words you guys offered was there is nothing wrong with overpaying for "quality" at times versus buying plastic, especially when it's a low pop and a tough date.

You and Jim hit the nail on the head! I will continue to look for the best even though I realize I won't be fortunate to own them all. No doubt about it, Dan, Bill and a few others have some one of a kind Roosies as well.

Brian

Brian,

Great job in improving your set!!

I'm glad to see you took our advice at FUN to stress only quality not plastic...Over time, only the coin itself matters.

I have a fairly large submission out to NGC ---- I'll post the results soonest --- hopefully, there's a couple that approach your numbers.

Brian,

Congrats!!!

Quality will always pay off, in coin collecting or most any venture in life. Buying plastic to get numbers will usually disappoint...quality never will.

Well put and I totally agree.